U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 11:59 PM

28 posts, read 149,795 times

Advertisements

Have you ever heard that song "California" by Joni Mitchell? It says it all "California, I'm coming home". Also another one 'Talk to me of Mendocino" by Linda Ronstadt. Beautiful and touching. For me it's the culture, there's no place like California!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2007, 08:09 PM

30,250 posts, read 16,773,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliguy2007 View Post
I liked it up in Washington State,but the weather was depressing and their is just so much more things to see and do here in CA.
That's what I keep hearing regarding the weather up in the Pacific Northwest, i.e., that's it's gloomy and depressing because of the constant rainfall and overcast skies. I have an aunt (mother's older sister) and married cousin (her daughter, plus the daughter's husband and their four kids) who live in Vancouver, BC, Canada. I'm sure the weather for them is very similar to the Seattle area. Not for me, thanks!

Old 06-24-2007, 08:48 PM

2,896 posts, read 6,019,771 times
Made the move from CA seven months ago and happy as a clam here in MO. I have no intention nor inclination to go back. I'm happy for my pile of friends that live there and those that think it is paradise as all that matters is you find your own little piece of Heaven on earth and have at it. Like any part of this great country CA has its unique way of life...and the last time I checked if you don't like it there Greyhound has buses running damn near 24/7 to all points of the US of A. (I've noticed many grumpy threads aimed at CA lately)

Old 06-24-2007, 08:57 PM

1,900 posts, read 1,818,530 times
When I think of California, I think of my mother sending me to the garden for fresh tomatoes, on Christmas day.

Old 10-18-2007, 06:37 PM

1,831 posts, read 4,791,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gripster2 View Post
It was printed in the Orange County Register about a month ago that more people are moving out of California then moving in since 1994.
True ... although the number of people who are leaving is declining.

In the '90s about 200,000 more people moved out than moved in. Now it's down to 100,000.

Why the difference? More people are choosing to move inland than leave the state all together.

Old 10-18-2007, 07:57 PM

26,346 posts, read 82,871,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheri257 View Post
More people are choosing to move inland than leave the state all together.
Are they also working inland?

Old 10-18-2007, 08:07 PM

1,831 posts, read 4,791,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Are they also working inland?
I didn't see any data on that particular question but, presumably most of them would be. I know I am.

It wouldn't make any sense for me to commute to LA or OC from where I live. It would take 2-3 hours one way.

I know a few people who've done it but, eventually, they ended up finding jobs closer to home.

Old 10-18-2007, 08:14 PM

26,346 posts, read 82,871,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheri257 View Post
I didn't see any data on that particular question but, presumably most of them would be. I know I am.

It wouldn't make any sense for me to commute to LA or OC from where I live. It would take 2-3 hours one way.

I know a few people who've done it but, eventually, they ended up finding jobs closer to home.

What are the traffic patterns of the 10, 14, 60, and 91 heading west in the mornings and east in the evenings?

Old 10-18-2007, 09:43 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,091,371 times
My husband and I moved from CA to the Seattle area in June of this year thinking it would be a better place to raise a family. Well, the cost of living is cheaper, and we live in a gorgeous neighborhood, but the people here suck, and we can't wait to move back to CA, as soon as my husband's stock vests.

You think there are so many things wrong with CA until you move somewhere else, and realize that the things you thought were bad could be much worse somewhere else, or that different things are bad somewhere else, and it makes CA seem so much better.

3 years 8 months to go...

V. =)

Old 10-18-2007, 10:22 PM

1,209 posts, read 4,249,111 times
Quote:
You think there are so many things wrong with CA until you move somewhere else, and realize that the things you thought were bad could be much worse somewhere else, or that different things are bad somewhere else, and it makes CA seem so much better.
This may be the case for you in WA, but not for us. We've been gone over 3 years and visit SoCal at least twice a year to visit family and have never regretted leaving. The quality of life is so much better for us in CO and we realize it everytime we visit CA. Sure it isn't perfect here, but we sure love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or