Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 07:00 PM

18,960 posts, read 32,424,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
Then you must really be upset with the Feds and Mexico for allowing this problem to escalate to this point. Maybe try giving Obama and the Pres of Mexico a call and tell them to get their act together.
Like most people who don't support illegal immigration, yes I have a problem with the federal govt and them allowing this to happen. Also the hypocrisy of Mexico with regards to their laws on illegals, which I think Snort was alluding to but I don't know Spanish (which of course baffles some people) so I can't read his link.

I want something done about illegals too but I just am not sure if AZ's approach is the right one b/c it may lead to racial profiling of Americans.

Old 04-28-2010, 07:07 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,319,435 times
Keep in mind that the point of this thread is merely to ask the question if California will boycott Arizona over this new law. Whether one agrees or disagrees with the law really isn't the focus. Frankly, I have mixed feelings about the Arizona legislation and see both the need to regulate the border as well as maintaining basic human rights of people [and I am Latino].

But getting back to the question. I do think that unless the law is quickly invalidated or put on hold by the courts that a variety of boycott measures will be enacted in California against Arizona. The state legislature will certainly step into the fray. It is likely some Republican & all Democratic lawmakers in the state assembly & senate are against the new Arizona law. Also national leaders in both parties have condemned Arizona [including Karl Rowe\ Jeb Bush]. When the churches get involved expect strong criticism of Arizona as well. Cardinal Mahony warned the federal government 2 years ago that all clergy will resist and defy attempts to remove illegal immigrates. With that wide a spectrum it is likely that boycotts will be called. Whether boycotts are effective is another question.

Old 04-28-2010, 07:07 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,182,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
I swear this - if the state of California does boycott Arizona I'll move there. Believe you me. That's BS - Arizona is doing what California and Texas should have done AGES ago. Instead of welcoming illegals with nonsense like...

YouTube - California - Find yourself here

How about actually stepping up to try and fix the problem, Governator?
We might just boycott California if California boycotts Arizona...

There's a poll thats been running here for two days and so far at this very moment it's:

75% for the Az law

23% against the AZ law

2% not sure...

It has ran as high as 76% but never lower than 73% in favor of the law...

And Houston is a very liberal city...

Old 04-28-2010, 07:08 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,575,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I want something done about illegals too but I just am not sure if AZ's approach is the right one b/c it may lead to racial profiling of Americans.
It may not be the right approach, but it has gotten the attention of everyone across the country, and that's a good thing.

Hopefully, it'll force the politicians in DC to finally do something concrete about illegal immigrants. God knows they accomplish absolutely nothing until something like this lights a fire under their worthless a*ses.

Old 04-28-2010, 07:20 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,319,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvaden View Post
Today it was a surprise to get an answer immediately at the San Francisco mayor's office, in a matter of a few rings. The intern said they would pass along my message.

In light of the news about San Franscisco trying to escalate a boycott aimed at Arizona, I canceled my planned vacation to San Francisco. It was to be an extension of my routine drive to the north redwoods. Certainly there is a lot to do in SF, but the mayor and associates have left a bad taste for the moment.

It will be interesting to see if SF citizens support their mayor. And whether or not they can even get a voice heard by the city government.

Would like to have deposited more of my vacation money in your state. But it will just be smaller spending near Hiouchi and Orick for the near future.

Before you get all emotional keep in mind that the mayor of Phoenix has condemned the law and has called the sheriff a racist. Other metro police chiefs in Arizona have vowed to not uphold the law. So does than mean you'll cancel your visit to Phoenix while vacationing in Arizona?

Old 04-28-2010, 07:26 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,182,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Before you get all emotional keep in mind that the mayor of Phoenix has condemned the law and has called the sheriff a racist. Other metro police chiefs in Arizona have vowed to not uphold the law. So does than mean you'll cancel your visit to Phoenix while vacationing in Arizona?
And it was reported here on the news that not one city counsel member was backing him when he say he wanted to sue the state.......

Old 04-28-2010, 08:11 PM

1,457 posts, read 6,008,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post

Be sure to avoid confusion, by focusing on the facts at hand.

I mentioned something that I am able to do within the scope of my planning.

Other folks in other areas can level the playing field in their areas within their sphere of influence.

There is no need for me to become involved with Phoenix because the news or other folks mentioned that particular city and mayor.

It can become knee-jerk and emotional to react to every facet when doing so is not essential.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:15 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,351,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think About It! View Post

Lifeshadower

It shouldn't be. It's pretty cut and dry. You're either an illegal citizen or legal citizen.
Just to correct you, there's no such thing as an "illegal citizen" Either you're a citizen or you're not.

You don't have to convince me of anything, because my parents came here legally. I have nothing to worry about because I'm a citizen and usually carry around my passport with me to prove it, along with my driver's license. I've been profiled a lot already because of my Arabic sounding name at the airport (been searched a million times, but to be fair, everyone gets searched), but I never cared that much beyond a minor annoyance because I knew I wasn't doing anything illegal.

However, if it is so cut and dry, why haven't our elected officials done anything, or waited this long to do anything? Why didn't they do anything years ago? This is one of the third rails of politics. However, the Obama administration and this Congress has shown that it will touch all the third rails, including health care reform and now immigration reform.

But, looking at it from a legal point of view, I'd be surprised if this even passes the court challenges. I already talked to my friends in Arizona, and they pretty much agree that it may not survive the courts.

This isn't the right forum to do it in though. There's always the Politics and Other Contraversies forum to vent your anger.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:24 PM

2,638 posts, read 5,997,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Do you dummies actually think this commercial is about WORK? It's a tourism spot,but I guess you have to have an IQ above room temperature to understand that.
I'm not going to dignify your insult attempt with an insult in return. But what I will do is point out further evidence of the selective reading that I've been emphasizing which is vintage CD.

Let's see. I said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
Instead of welcoming illegals with nonsense like...
Hmm. I don't see anything in there about work. Seems I spoke simply about welcoming illegals...which since the state does not push illegals away, can be counted as part of the so-called 'tourist' population; thus making my initial statement quite valid. You just went off on a rant and threw an insult because it made you feel good...even though your point was invalid from the start.

Have at it.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:40 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,755,870 times
Should we boycott the Grand Canyon? I'm confused because it's in Arizona (bad) but run by the pro-illegal-immigrant federal government (good) which is also anti-marijuana (bad) but sends us stimulus money (good). Does Gavin Newsom have a Q&A phone number I can call with this dilemma?

This just in: some boycotters extended their wrath to products with "Arizona" in the name, including Arizona Iced Tea, which, it turns out, is produced in New York:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...tone_crea.html

Extra credit question: why didn't anyone call for a boycott when California passed Proposition 187, or for that matter, the anti-homosexual marriage Proposition 8?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California