U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2010, 11:50 PM

4 posts, read 5,231 times

Advertisements

Hey Guys,

I'm so confused. I was lay off June 16, 2009. I collected my 26 weeks that ended December 26. At first EDD told me I did not qualify for an extension (This was back in mid November) because by Dec 20th or so I would still have money left. However, back in Dec on my last pay check stub it says I may be eligible for an extension and no further filing should be done by me. So, I started collecting an additional 20 weeks of Benefits.

My confusion is am I currently collecting Tie 1 or the FED-ED thing? I don't understand. I'm not sure if they extended the dateline back in the Fall so I'm on Tier 1 or what. At any rate My benefits for these past 20 weeks will end May 15. Will I qualify for an extension? If I am on Tier 1 do I have to file a new claim? Or if I'm on FED-ED do I qualify for I guess tier 2?? I'm confused. I've never been on Unemployment before its been so stressed trying to make sense of any of this and trying to find a job has been a nightmare.

Any help, it's greatly appreciated it. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 12:41 AM

2 posts, read 3,488 times
[FONT=Verdana]If you don't understand the claims process you need to call the California Claims center and ask the questions.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Nevada is if you are eligible for the max 26 weeks then if you qualify for an Emergency Claim the first tier is another 21 weeks, that is if you have not worked in another state or if your year has not expired on your original claim and you have not gone back to work since opening the claim. Basically if you are not eligible for anything else. Then it goes into Tier II(13), Tier III(13) and Tier IV(6). So far the Federal government has not given out a Tier V. The deadlines they have been giving lately are for those who have exhausted one or more of the tiers and have possible eligibility for another Tier that they have not yet received. The extension allows them to go on that next tier, not to get more money, if they have had all the Tiers, and the State Extended Benefits.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]So far the max amount of weeks in any state is 99 weeks if you meet the requirements for all the claims, not everyone is eligible for the same amount.[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][/FONT]

Old 04-29-2010, 05:14 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,364,690 times
Go to the Unemployment subforum if you haven't already, there are a lot of people there who can give you specific answers. Sounds like you were placed on Tier I to me, and depending on the status of the program in mid-May, you should be able to move on to Tier II.

I am in the same boat, I've never collected unemployment before and it is pretty confusing. I still don't understand why they can't just let everyone have the same amount of benefit weeks from the outset instead of creating a situation where person A gets 99 weeks and person B gets 46, all because of the timing of the job loss.

Old 04-30-2010, 09:45 AM

4 posts, read 5,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_cuyler View Post
Go to the Unemployment subforum if you haven't already, there are a lot of people there who can give you specific answers. Sounds like you were placed on Tier I to me, and depending on the status of the program in mid-May, you should be able to move on to Tier II.

I am in the same boat, I've never collected unemployment before and it is pretty confusing. I still don't understand why they can't just let everyone have the same amount of benefit weeks from the outset instead of creating a situation where person A gets 99 weeks and person B gets 46, all because of the timing of the job loss.

THANK YOU! Didn't know there was a subforum! Yes, this whole ordeal is just so dumb that some folks get more simply because of the timing.

Old 05-01-2010, 03:18 AM

425 posts, read 1,723,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_cuyler View Post

It's because they base it off of what you made. You're not going to make exactly what you were making, of course, but it's what determines what bracket you fall into.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California