U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 01:21 PM

71,750 posts, read 83,373,533 times

Advertisements

I love these studies, which I am never quite sure tell the whole story, on the other hand it is good to see some high schools in Ca rated so high..I think, if we put much into the ratings it boils down to: the good schools in Ca are awesome and the bad ones really bad.

NIta
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 01:57 PM

32,278 posts, read 55,023,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I love these studies, which I am never quite sure tell the whole story, on the other hand it is good to see some high schools in Ca rated so high..I think, if we put much into the ratings it boils down to: the good schools in Ca are awesome and the bad ones really bad.

NIta
Basically.

+1

Old 05-03-2010, 02:48 PM

2,879 posts, read 4,607,111 times
Here's the interesting thing: In the Top 25 Gold Medal high schools according to U.S. News and World Reports' 2009 ranking there are two in the top four, in Cypress and Cerritos, from the Los Angeles area. These are (even modestly) middle class areas. But there are also three high schools in Carson, Inglewood and Lennox that made the top 25. Carson is actually much like Cypress and Cerritos, as it contains very solid areas but is not understood as super wealthy or the best off locale. But the others one can fairly broad-brush as in a part of the city where the most at-risk teen dropout demographic resides.

Animo Charter in Inglewood is a Green Dot school, a program established in 1999. To have ranked so well a decade later is a stunning turnaround. There's a future here. Let's look to it and not festoon the whole district with collective, fruitless negativity.

Last edited by Bunjee; 05-03-2010 at 02:57 PM..

Old 05-03-2010, 03:26 PM

4,182 posts, read 5,792,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veg8 View Post
Nah this pretty accurate, top public gold medals schools have always been great in CA, Whitney in Cerritos and Oxford in Cypress are ranked 3, 4 respectively of course those are test-in schools. The low end school that's another matter like most of the schools in LAUSD.
Does it strike anyone as odd that the student body of Whitney in Cerritos is 84% Asian, and that of Oxford is 70% Asian?

Whitney High School (http://www.whitneyhs.org/profiles.jsp?rn=1017870 - broken link)

http://www.oxfordacademy.us/pdf/OA_Profile_Final_0910.pdf?rn=1147153 (broken link)

Old 05-03-2010, 04:43 PM

144 posts, read 549,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
Does it strike anyone as odd that the student body of Whitney in Cerritos is 84% Asian, and that of Oxford is 70% Asian?

Whitney High School (http://www.whitneyhs.org/profiles.jsp?rn=1017870 - broken link)

http://www.oxfordacademy.us/pdf/OA_Profile_Final_0910.pdf?rn=1147153 (broken link)
Not so much for Whitney in Cerritos according to City-Data Cerritos is 63% Asian. For Oxford yes, since the area is only 21% Asian but the school is 70% Asian.

UCI is 58.8%, UCSD 53% and CAL 45% Asian, would that be considered odd as well as Asians make up 12.5% of CA population?

Old 05-03-2010, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Not so much for Whitney in Cerritos according to City-Data Cerritos is 63% Asian. For Oxford yes, since the area is only 21% Asian but the school is 70% Asian.

UCI is 58.8%, UCSD 53% and CAL 45% Asian, would that be considered odd as well as Asians make up 12.5% of CA population?
Even for Whitney, Asians are overrepresented relative to their proportion in the Cerritos population. The UCI, UCSD, and CAL data you cited prove the point. This is true not just in California. Ivy League schools harbor student bodies that are about 25% Asian when this ethnic group comprises only 5% of the overall US population.

Learning to Stand Out Among the Standouts (washingtonpost.com)

The article above has an interesting story in it about a Chinese American girl who attends a high school in NJ that is 22% Asian. Fearing that she will not stand out from the competition (i.e. fellow Asian students) when Ivy League recruiters come for a visit, the girl moves to Keyport, NJ where 78% of people are white, SAT scores are 300 points lower, and there are almost no Asians. Result: she becomes valedictorian and gets admitted to Yale and MIT.

This may explain the white flight from Asian-dominated school districts.

Old 05-03-2010, 06:50 PM

Quote:

Makes you wonder how many of these Asian students are illegal aliens or children of illegals (i.e. anchor babies). Perhaps the government should start asking for passports and birth certificates before they are enrolled to these schools. They are, after all, taking away slots that would have gone to white Americans. We have to assume, of course, that the whites are all US citizens and are entitled to attend these schools. They are not required to show their passports. But everyone else is suspect. They should prove their citizenship before they are allowed to use public services that are paid for mostly by white people's tax money.

Old 05-03-2010, 07:05 PM

9,723 posts, read 18,382,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post

Asians are generally no dummies so im not surprised.

Old 05-03-2010, 08:44 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,345,866 times
Here are the list of California High Schools ranked in the Top 100:

America's Best High Schools: Gold Medal List - US News and World Report

3 Whitney High SchoolCerritos, CA
4 Oxford AcademyCypress, CA
7 Pacific Collegiate SchoolSanta Cruz, CA
22 California Academy of Math and ScienceCarson, CA
23 Animo Leadership Charter High SchoolInglewood, CA
25 Lennox Mathematics, Science and Technology AcademyLennox, CA
28 Lowell High SchoolSan Francisco, CA
32 The Preuss School UCSDLa Jolla, CA
36 Mission San Jose High SchoolFremont, CA
44 School of International Studies San Diego High SchoolSan Diego, CA
54 Hawthorne Math and Science AcademyHawthorne, CA
67 Henry M. Gunn High SchoolPalo Alto, CA
70 Monta Vista High SchoolCupertino, CA
73 Piedmont High SchoolPiedmont, CA
80 La Cañada High SchoolLa Cañada, CA
83 Palo Alto High SchoolPalo Alto, CA
86 Campolindo High SchoolMoraga, CA
89 Miramonte High SchoolOrinda, CA
93 Saratoga High SchoolSaratoga, CA
98 Lynbrook High SchoolSan Jose, CA

California has 20 out of the top 100 high schools in the nation (California is only 13% of the US population). However, I'm sure if you were measuring the bottom 100 high schools in the nation, California would be overrepresented as well...

Animo, Lennox, and Hawthorne Math and Science are ALL majority Hispanic in poor areas, as opposed to being majority Asian or majority White. California Math and Science Academy in Carson is 38% Asian (mostly Filipino), 31% Hispanic, 15% Black, and 13% White. I think that means something. It goes to show you that income alone doesn't determine outcome, but rather the students themselves make or break a school. As I'll repeat again; even a child of the poorest circumstances can be smart, and eventually successful

Old 05-03-2010, 10:27 PM

2,879 posts, read 4,607,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
California has 20 out of the top 100 high schools in the nation (California is only 13% of the US population). However, I'm sure if you were measuring the bottom 100 high schools in the nation, California would be overrepresented as well...
There is a site that reports the country's worst performing schools, as it happens. I don't like posting specific schools for poor performance. I'd rather high achievement be aspirational than the low rating be cause for shame, and that goes for all these schools in all states. But here are the California high schools that make the list:

93 Kizmet Academy--Oakland
82 Urbani Institute--Stockton
54 Mission Education Center--San Francisco
37 Academy For New Americans--Fresno
33 Susie Matthews Academy--Victorville

So that's five out of 100. Not great but not the horror popularly presumed. Any representation in this ranking is bad but I wouldn't say there's over-representation from California. (Chicago and South Carolina really take a hit.)

ETA: I was expecting a worse showing myself, actually. As to the question of success, I'd say teacher engagement is of huge importance. The most debatable talking point regarding Green Dot's success is that the teachers are allowed to unionize, unlike a lot of charter schools, but...they're still retained at will and are subject to regular evaluation. That is, tenure does not guarantee their positions. Now, I am far from anti-union. But if there is a contributing factor contained here then it's worth considering for its positive effect.

Last edited by Bunjee; 05-03-2010 at 11:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or