U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 09:34 PM

345 posts, read 580,209 times

Advertisements

Thank you for all your suggestions. I am unfamiliar with most of them but will look em up.

Kernville, Cresent City, Alturas, lodi, Arvin, Thousand Oaks and Pozo. (pozo is to small, but thanks)

Do any of these towns have any good rivers near them? Kinda like to keep steel head fishing and kayaking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 10:26 PM

2,903 posts, read 11,419,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alikair View Post
Thank you for all your suggestions. I am unfamiliar with most of them but will look em up.

Kernville, Cresent City, Alturas, lodi, Arvin, Thousand Oaks and Pozo. (pozo is to small, but thanks)

Do any of these towns have any good rivers near them? Kinda like to keep steel head fishing and kayaking.
Some of those are a joke ... idiots pulling your leg.
You might consider San Luis Obispo county on the central coast .... less expensive than Santa Cruz County, Monterey County, S.F. Bay area, etc. and coastal areas south of SLO. / southern part of central coast.

Old 04-30-2010, 10:27 PM

LOL i kinda thought that hahaha but I didnt want to insult anyone. now If I could just figure which ones

Old 04-30-2010, 10:29 PM

2,903 posts, read 11,419,862 times
Quote:
LOL i kinda thought that hahaha but I didnt want to insult anyone. now If I could just figure which ones
I added to my post above but i'm thinking every one of those recommendations was insincere (unless i missed something) .... bored city-data-forum people having "fun" at someone else's expense.

Old 04-30-2010, 10:29 PM

Old 04-30-2010, 10:31 PM

I was thinking of maybe near the American River. up north near oregon is the Smith river but I dont think I would like living in creasnt city to small and out of the way.

Old 04-30-2010, 10:53 PM

7,379 posts, read 13,298,423 times
Trying to find the combination of good weather and inexpensive in California is the ultimate isometric exercise; lots of pushing and straining while going absolutely nowhere.
I'm thinking some towns near the American River might be where you'd want to look. It gets hotter than hell in the summer most places inland, but it's beautiful countryside and a nice place to live.
SLO County is wonderful, but it's hard to find cheap there. Maybe places like Oceano, where you'd find lower rent.
Oops! Just noticed your last post about the American River area! Check it out!

Old 05-01-2010, 09:51 AM

26,346 posts, read 82,801,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
I added to my post above but i'm thinking every one of those recommendations was insincere (unless i missed something) .... bored city-data-forum people having "fun" at someone else's expense.

Kernville was a legitimate suggestion. I've been there many times for rafting and trout fishing and camping. It is located were the Kern River feeds Lake Isabella.

kayak near kernville, ca - Google Maps

Old 05-01-2010, 07:54 PM

Thanks! I Google earthed Kern. kinda cool looking town from a satellite prospective. hows that river? i read it is dangerous. I'm just a beginner, class 3 is my max.

Old 05-01-2010, 08:19 PM

26,346 posts, read 82,801,440 times
Quote:
Thanks! I Google earthed Kern. kinda cool looking town from a satellite prospective. hows that river? i read it is dangerous. I'm just a beginner, class 3 is my max.
We used to go up there and raft, fish, party, rock slides, camp, hike, 4 wheel. Lots of fun.

We used to go up the weekend after Memorial Day. Memorial Day was loaded with thousand of bikers. The next week it was a lot easier to drive around and find a place to camp.

There's a sign on the road from Bakersfield to Kernville that reads something like "The Kern River is Dangerous. Since 1968, 225 people have been killed. Be careful."

When we drove back home after a four day camping trip, the sign had been incremented to 226. I guess someone had died in that time or they updated the sign while we were there.

I found an article to this:

http://www.kget.com/mostpopular/stor...UMl1J6NoQ.cspx

http://www.turnto23.com/news/16356384/detail.html#

http://www.turnto23.com/2008/0521/16356252.jpg (broken link)

My buddy Bob going down the slides:

Jim going down the slides

Last edited by Charles; 05-01-2010 at 08:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or