Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2010, 01:59 AM

36,631 posts, read 67,207,834 times

Advertisements

Very interesting.
Quote:
The report says CSU-related spending generates more than $17 billion in economic activity in California, supporting about 150,000 jobs and generating nearly $1 billion state and local taxes annually.

It estimates that for every dollar invested by California, the CSU generates $5.43 for the state economy.
Report: CSU is key to a strong California economy - BusinessWeek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2010, 08:40 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,126,435 times
Actually, your title should read that "CSU Reports that CSU is Key to a Stong California Economy".

The report was generated by CSU, and is generally "self promotional", with the purpose of encouraging the state legislature to minimize CSU budget cuts.

Old 05-11-2010, 09:49 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,698,917 times
Possibly, but a strong and inexpensive college system, widely considered part of the best public college system in the nation, is instrumental to educating the tens of millions of californians

Old 05-12-2010, 01:19 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,116,059 times
although i agree that we need reasonably priced universities for the population, the state doesn't have to over supplement the tuition. i was at a CSU 5-10 years ago and paid less than $1000/semester each of the 4 years i was there. that was a steal!!!!!!! i know tuition fees have gone up recently, but i would have paid much more to get the education that i received. UCs are still considerably more than CSUs with private schools even more. the CSU needs to make sure that they're not leaving any money on the table and costing the tax payers more than what is needed.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:42 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,126,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
Possibly, but a strong and inexpensive college system, widely considered part of the best public college system in the nation, is instrumental to educating the tens of millions of californians
No disagreement here, but the document is presented in a manner that clearly is a marketing pitch.

Regarding the Cal and CSU systems, while I support their operation that doesn't mean I support things within the schools. I support critical analysis of things such as their current structure, including the staffing split between instructors and support staff. Also, I'd support a critical analysis of how required reading material is identified, and things that prevent students from being more economical in purchasing these materials.

Frankly, public higher education could use a good and open review.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California