U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 01:31 AM

4 posts, read 6,433 times

Advertisements

Do most baseball fans in Fresno root for the Giants or the Dodgers

What about in San Luis Osbispo?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 01:47 AM

13,227 posts, read 24,316,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnop View Post

What about in San Luis Osbispo?
I believe Fresno follows the A's and the Giants. I know Bakersfield follows the Dodgers and Angels (to a lesser extent).

Old 04-30-2010, 02:02 AM

457 posts, read 1,009,358 times
Fresno has a giant's minor league team, the Fresno Grizzlies. I would say that has to have some following. I guess, I thought everyone was a Giants fan. I didn't know anyone really liked the Dodgers.

Old 04-30-2010, 10:02 AM

6,958 posts, read 19,109,609 times
Long ago and far away I worked for the Everett (WA) Giants, a single A, short season farm team of the SF Giants. The owner of the team was Bob Bavasi, son of Buzzy Bavasi, who was the Dodgers GM for many years. Bob literally grew up in the Dodger clubhouse. I was raised a Dodger fan, but after seeing that Bob could wear Giants regalia, I figured if he could be Giants fan, so could I.

BTW Mike Krukow lives in SLO.

Old 04-30-2010, 01:29 PM

13,227 posts, read 24,316,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
Long ago and far away I worked for the Everett (WA) Giants, a single A, short season farm team of the SF Giants.
That's awesome! First ever baseball game I saw live was the Everett Giants vs. the Bellingham Mariners. Very fun times.

Old 04-30-2010, 07:48 PM

3,970 posts, read 11,791,666 times
I think this question is quite subjective, as passion for teams go WAY beyond geography. That having been said, with every passing year, the Giants/Dodgers east coast roots become less relevant. I see a time coming when passion for the teams goes beyond perceived roots, and more towards winning. Same with the Padres and A's. The team that starts consistently making the post-season and advancing will be California's "team". Right now, that would be Dodger Blue. However, the Angels are not chopped liver.

Old 05-01-2010, 08:28 AM

1,465 posts, read 4,542,878 times
I was a Giant fan until August 22, 1965. I have been a Dodger fan ever since.

Old 05-01-2010, 12:35 PM

1,687 posts, read 5,369,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnop View Post
Fresno has been the home of a Giants minor league team (first single A now AAA) for decades so many people follow the Giants and the players who move up.

But look at the locations of each team's gameday radio broadcasts in California (there are some out of state stations but lets look at where California splits):
LA Dodgers
Dodgers Radio Network | dodgers.com: Schedule
SF Giants
Broadcast Affiliates | SFGiants.com: Schedule

The split is right at Fresno and SLO, you do not see Dodgers broadcast affiliates in California north of Fresno/SLO or Giants stations south of Fresno/SLO.

BUT you do see stations for both teams in Fresno and in SLO.

I can listen to SF vs. Colo today at 12:35 on one station here or if I want listen to LA vs. Pitt at 7pm tonight on another.

There must be enough people following either team to make the broadcasts profitable for both teams to broadcast in Fresno and SLO.

But there are also A's, Angels, and Padre fans here. Not as many but Giants or Dodgers fans but I do know some.

Old 05-05-2010, 03:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
I think this question is quite subjective, as passion for teams go WAY beyond geography. That having been said, with every passing year, the Giants/Dodgers east coast roots become less relevant. I see a time coming when passion for the teams goes beyond perceived roots, and more towards winning. Same with the Padres and A's. The team that starts consistently making the post-season and advancing will be California's "team". Right now, that would be Dodger Blue. However, the Angels are not chopped liver.
there will never a california's "team." norcal will never root for the dodgers/angels/padres over the athletics/giants, and vice verca. never.

Old 05-05-2010, 03:31 PM

16,584 posts, read 33,661,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownVentura View Post
I was a Giant fan until August 22, 1965. I have been a Dodger fan ever since.
Juan Marichal/Johnny Roseboro?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or