U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-12-2007, 08:36 AM

784 posts, read 3,049,253 times
Default Anyone just move to CA (to fulfill a dream) without a job?

I am always running into people who tell me that they are planning to move to CA. Most of them do not have the resources to fly back and forth between the east coast and west coast to interview for jobs. So they would just move to California and move into an apartment and start looking for work.

I suspect many of them have a view of CA that is similar to how the State was in the 1950s. They expect to live next to a beach and an Orange Grove. Everyone will be a Blond Beach Beauty and living will be paradise.

Has anyone just moved out to California, sight unseen, and rented an apartment before they got a job and survived? Tell us your stories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2007, 08:55 AM

104 posts, read 314,386 times
While I haven't done what you described, I think it would be rather tough to do, since most landlord's want to know who your employer is before they'll rent you an apartment.

And when you apply for a job, they want a residence address... kind of a catch-22 situation.

But, I look forward to reading people's stories as well.

Old 06-12-2007, 09:55 AM

7,060 posts, read 17,423,202 times
I moved to San Diego at 19 with no money, no job, and no possessions other than my clothes.

12 years later I am married, own a home and have a successful career. It can be done. Would I do it again that way? No.

If your field is in high demand, you should be able to get headhunters to find opportunities. Schedule all the interviews for a few days and fly out to do all of them at once. A round-trip flight from NY to San Diego is about 350 bucks - if you can't afford that, you probably can't afford to live in SD anyway.

Old 06-12-2007, 10:15 AM

232 posts, read 526,844 times
Four years ago I moved back to California with no job, little money and my kids

Having lived in California before I had a good idea of where I wanted to be. I waited until there were some job fairs in San Diego and moved out the week before. (I had good credit for the apartment manager to see and a first and last for rent) I got a job as a store manager at my first job fair and moved up from there.

Was it easy, hell no. It was worth because of the medical services available to my son and also the climate which was more conducive to his health.

Even though I am leaving the state and probably will not return to live, I know there are opportunities here if you try hard enough (or are just plain lucky ).

Old 06-12-2007, 11:45 AM

13,390 posts, read 15,234,170 times
Both of my sons have moved to the LA area without jobs and are doing fine. My oldest moved out there in 2003, and now has an excellent job in the entertainment business. He started as an admin assistant in a real estate office, made connections to get an admin assistant job with a small film company, used those connections to become an admin assistant with an agent for some major stars and then got a job reviewing film proposals for a major studio. Meanwhile, he met a wonderful young lady in LA and they share an apartment, so rent is very manageable. He is doing just fine.

His younger brother and his significant other (or whatever they call their live in girlfriend today) went out last year, stayed with his older brother for a month while he and his girlfriend found temp agency work. The temp agency work turned into full time job offers, and now they have their own apartment and are doing quite well.

Folks make this hurdle higher than it really is, if you have drive and determination.

Old 06-12-2007, 01:02 PM

2,689 posts, read 4,238,666 times
My husband did just that. Granted, it was 24-26 years ago. He packed up everything he wanted and rode out here on his Harley (which promptly got stolen at the Glendale Galleria). He got an entry level job doing construction. Worked his way up and then owned his own construction company then sold it about 12 years ago. Today, he works for fun. It CAN be done. But, IMO, it might be harder to do today than it was when my husband did it.

Old 06-12-2007, 02:53 PM

110 posts, read 289,901 times
I moved out here on a whim. Luckily I moved in with a cousin. Once I got back on my feet with a decent job, I started up a home-based business and now I can consider myself almost successful. I plan on retiring in about 2 years to operate my biz full-time. I'm slowly getting out if this stinkin' rat race we call work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California