U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 06:31 PM

2 posts, read 7,632 times
Question Salinas vs. Fresno

I am relocating with my husband to the Monterey/Salinas area in a few weeks and I'm wondering where the good areas of Salinas would be to rent a small house or apartment. We would be coming from Fresno, CA and I'm not sure that we can afford to rent in Monterey. We also have 2 cats and not many apartments I've seen online in Monterey allow pets. Here's what I'm wondering.

-Which of the small cities near Sallinas are good for a young couple starting a family? Marina? Seaside? Prunedale?

-Where are the better parts of Salinas? We're looking for an apartment that won't have loud music playing all night and gang shootings on the weekends. From the posts I've read on here, there appears to be a gang problem in Salinas, but the last news article I read said the city has only had 2 murders so far, and Fresno is somewhere in the 20's already for murders. Is it mainly gang members killing each other or are they killing innocent people?

-Which areas would have nice rentals and still have a reasonable commute to Salinas for work?

-How are the schools and daycare centers in Salinas? Are their any private Christian schools?

Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 06:54 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,233,037 times
Salinas? Fresno? Look life is too short to live in either one. Prunedale or Marina are better, but living in Prunedale, 101 may kill you.

Old 05-03-2010, 07:38 PM

3,600 posts, read 6,433,531 times
Salinas had a record high homicide rate last year albeit mostly gang on gang:
Salinas homicide numbers soar in 2009; arrests remain low | thecalifornian.com | The Salinas Californian

Here is a map of violent crime during the last quarter of 2009 to give you an idea of areas:
Monterey County violence, 2009 - Google Maps

I would say it is better to error on the side of caution when you are new to an area. Generally speaking all of Monterey, Pacific Grove, Carmel, Carmel Valley and Pebble Beach are safe areas with low crime.

Then there are some good and bad areas in Seaside and Marina. Upper Seaside is the best part. Salinas has the most crime, especially gang related shootings. Now there are some fringe areas near Salinas which aren't as bad such Spreckles, Las Palmas and Indian Springs.

However if you really want to you could try out Salinas before having kids then decide for yourself. South Salinas is generally higher regarded - closer to Blanco Rd and Hwy 68. But the schools aren't so good: http://schoolperformancemaps.com/ca/

There was a pretty big crackdown last month:
http://www.thecalifornian.com/articl...oLqSw2zZczk%3D

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 05-03-2010 at 08:14 PM..

Old 05-03-2010, 09:43 PM

1,221 posts, read 1,802,357 times
When I saw the title of the thread I assumed it was a trick question.

Joking aside, yes Salinas does have a reputation for gang violence. A few years back, I dated a girl who had lived there her entire life and she loved living there. She said that the crime-ridden areas didn't really spill over into the good parts of town...unfortunately, we didn't date long enough for me to find out where those good parts of town were. Maybe somebody else who's more familiar with the area can help out. I do have a co-worker who commutes from there (all the way to Fremont!) and he hates living there...and not just because of the commute.

Old 05-04-2010, 04:03 AM

5 posts, read 6,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiverfull View Post
I am relocating with my husband to the Monterey/Salinas area in a few weeks and I'm wondering where the good areas of Salinas would be to rent a small house or apartment. We would be coming from Fresno, CA and I'm not sure that we can afford to rent in Monterey. We also have 2 cats and not many apartments I've seen online in Monterey allow pets. Here's what I'm wondering.

-Which of the small cities near Sallinas are good for a young couple starting a family? Marina? Seaside? Prunedale?

-Where are the better parts of Salinas? We're looking for an apartment that won't have loud music playing all night and gang shootings on the weekends. From the posts I've read on here, there appears to be a gang problem in Salinas, but the last news article I read said the city has only had 2 murders so far, and Fresno is somewhere in the 20's already for murders. Is it mainly gang members killing each other or are they killing innocent people?

-Which areas would have nice rentals and still have a reasonable commute to Salinas for work?

-How are the schools and daycare centers in Salinas? Are their any private Christian schools?

Thank you so much!

Cypress Creek apts on Casentini st, nice 1 and 2 bdr apts ... around $1200 a month and they allow small pets.

The authorities have been cracking heads in Salinas, seems more gang activity in Greenfield than Salinas this year.

Old 05-04-2010, 11:18 AM

1,687 posts, read 3,487,509 times
Keep in mind that both crime and unemployment in Salinas are much worse than in Fresno.

Salinas is much worse overall for crime than Fresno. There are good areas but listen to locals about where to find the safe neighborhoods. I've known people who used to live there that liked their neighborhoods, but choose wisely.

2009 crime figures are not out yet for all crimes. But for homicides:
Salinas (population 153,948) - 29 homicides in 2009
Fresno (population 502,303) - 42 homicides in 2009
So Salinas is much smaller (about 1/3 as big) but had almost as many homicides.

This crime ranking using 2008 crime rates ranked the 393 largest US cities:
Salinas #79th highest per capita crime rate
Fresno #161 highest
Clovis #317 (one of the safest cities ranked in California)
The other cities in this thread were too small in size to be listed.
http://os.cqpress.com/citycrime/2009...9_Rank_Rev.pdf

If you need to find a job (not sure if you have a job yet), the unemployment rate of that area is as bad or worse than Fresno/Clovis.
March 2010 Unemployment Rates
Fresno - 17.6%
Clovis - 10.3%
Salinas - 23%
Prunedale - 12.5%
Marina -10.3%
Seaside - 10.1%

Just keep doing your research first, good luck.

Old 05-04-2010, 03:14 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,019,943 times
Quote:

Thank you so much!
I wouldn't totally disregard living Salinas due to high crime activities alone. There *are* areas in the outer areas of the city limits where it is habitable. For instance, was Toro area on the Monterey-Salinas Hwy 68 was certainly safe and habitable the last time I went through there. And there are also neighborhoods along that highway but they tend to get pricier heading towards the Monterey area.

If you decide that Salinas should be crossed off the list of places to inhabit and commute time is primarily a huge factor, I'd look into Marina, which is mainly a bedroom community that is closer to the beach and at least 15 minutes drive away from Salinas. I would avoid areas along Carmel Ave, Reindollar, and Hillcrest, as areas along those street tend to be unsafe. There are safer areas in the Marina area of what used to be Fort Ord. Private Christian schools in Salinas that I personally know of are Palma High School (all boys school) and Notre Dame High School (all girls school). They are both Catholic schools. I had friends commuting from Marina to Salinas to attend those two schools. For all other private schools in Salinas, see here: http://www.privateschoolreview.com/c...CA/county/6053

If you're coming from Fresno, a city I'm familiar with, be prepared for dramatic changes. No more "newer" houses that are larger spacious. And if you relocate to Marina or Salinas, or Seaside, you may find that some neighborhoods will pale in comparison to Fresno's.

Old 05-04-2010, 04:06 PM

4,483 posts, read 2,787,256 times
Quote:
Are their any private Christian schools?

Thank you so much!
If you isolate the Christian component, Fresno Co is the place.

In the church world, the part of CA running from Bakersfield up to Sacramento and east into the Sierras is refered to as the Bible Belt of the West. Where I live you can't throw a rock without hitting a Christian.

Old 05-06-2010, 11:57 AM

398 posts, read 720,683 times
Monterey and Salinas couldn't be more different... it's wise to consider them accordingly.

Old 05-07-2010, 02:13 PM

2 posts, read 7,632 times
Thank you, thank you, thank you for all of your information--especially the crime stats!
We have crossed Salinas off the list and are now looking at Seaside, Marina and if we have to, maybe Monterey.
Fort Ord is now renting out their former base housing, under the name Moores Landing, with a Seaside address. Does anyone know anything about this rental community, and/or what the surrounding neighborhood is like?
Thanks again--in advance!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California