Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 02:00 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGLJKR View Post
We live in a nice house in the suburbs, North of Atlanta. My husband and I have three young children. We are considering a move to CA, because of the good Schools and Colleges in CA. With all the fund cuts here in GA for schools, i am beginning to worry. We cannot afford a private school. My husband may be able to find a similar tech job in CA, but without any relocation assistance. I am a stay at home mom here in GA, by choice. Any comparison between the GA schools and CA Schools will be very helpful to me. Thanks
Like anywhere in the country, even here in AR it depends on the area you choose. As for your re-location, are you prepared to pay the prices for homes in California and the taxes? Are you aware the cut backs exist in all states, certainly California is one state that has had severe cut backs. You ask if the schools are as good as Georgia and then say you are considering the move because of the good schools and colleges. You have good schools and colleges as well I am sure. What college you child decides to attend and how vaulable the decision is depends much of their chosen field.

These are just some issues for you to consider.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2010, 02:06 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGLJKR View Post
I guess what i am really trying to find out is if CA's school curriculum is better than GA's?
again, there is absolutely no way to answer that. As for the 6 public universities in California, I will add what I just said, what you children decide to do with their lives should determine where they choose to attend college. Some careers will not be affected much by where they end up going to college, others certainly will. I might also add, don't pay too much attention to whatever studies you are watching, what one study shows today may be totally different a year from now or even a month from now and varies sources use varies means to determine best.

Nita

Old 05-04-2010, 09:11 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,731,484 times
I wouldn't move for the colleges alone, especially if you have young kids and they're not planning on applying anytime soon. What if they don't get into their school of choice? Or what if they don't want to attend college in California? The higher costs involved with a move and with living in California will most likely eat up any potential savings you'd get with in-state tuition. If that's your only reason you'd be better off just putting that saved money (from the lower cost of living in GA) aside and using it to pay out-of-state-tuition if down the road they decide that UCLA or Berkeley or some other University or state college is their dream school.

As far as curriculum (assume you mean K-12 there), I don't know which is better. The official curriculum points I've read have been solid, and I'd assume that it's not so much the curriculum in California that matters, but rather the specific school and how much it's able to adequately cover that curriculum. California certainly has some wonderful schools (and some lousy ones), but they're definitely not all created equal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California