Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 04:08 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,726,610 times

Advertisements

O.K. ... I admit it.
I'm a linguistic stickler and literary snob born in the Sierra Nevada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2010, 07:33 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,700,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
You're 100% correct. I focused on the urban Southern California. However, most of the things that bug me about California occur in the urban areas of Southern California.
LOL... Yeah, thats why I was having a hard time coming up with things since leaving the SoCal region in our rear view mirror. My wife and I have been wanted to move to the northern part of the state since we got married almost 20 years ago. Now that its happened there is not much that bugs us regarding CA. Of course housing could always be cheaper. But thats par for the course especially along the coast.

Derek

Old 05-04-2010, 08:07 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
. Of course housing could always be cheaper. But thats par for the course especially along the coast.

Derek
As it is written; You get what you pay for. There is a reason why the Monterey area is not cheap

Old 05-04-2010, 09:56 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,456,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
Nah, you missed the spirit of my post.
That's not at all where i'm coming from although if you're perceiving me in a crude and/or stereotypical way then i can see why you would make such assumptions.
My post about Sierra vs Sierras has nothing to do with "Liberal extremism", "fussy & mindless 'dogmatism'" "righteous insularity" or a P.C. attitude.
And, accept it or not, none of those characteristics apply to me.
If you knew me you'd know that.
Being able to grok the subtext and/or essence of individual expression (although the post was rather transparent) is a valuable skill in comprehending the "voice" of another.
Oh, I think we all caught your "spirit" there well enough. And perhaps you might too, if you'd quit tap-dancing around with all the self-deception, like blaming your dad for your behavior, for one. Or perhaps you haven't noticed how "delighted" all the folks are, that are always on the receiving end of all your obsessive (and frankly disrespectful) "corrections"? Although the one "subtext" that I do "grok" there, is that you obviously don't take being corrected, quite so well as you like to dish it out.

But thanks anyway for the exquisitely "perfect" example of the sorts of things that still "bug" me here. And if it makes any difference, you're not the only one in this state who feels "entitled" to act like this. Basically, I think it's just an extension of the rampant Narcissism that's now doing the place in, politically, economically & otherwise, but that's another story....

Old 05-04-2010, 11:06 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,726,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Oh, I think we all caught your "spirit" there well enough. And perhaps you might too, if you'd quit tap-dancing around with all the self-deception, like blaming your dad for your behavior, for one. Or perhaps you haven't noticed how "delighted" all the folks are, that are always on the receiving end of all your obsessive (and frankly disrespectful) "corrections"? Although the one "subtext" that I do "grok" there, is that you obviously don't take being corrected, quite so well as you like to dish it out.

But thanks anyway for the exquisitely "perfect" example of the sorts of things that still "bug" me here. And if it makes any difference, you're not the only one in this state who feels "entitled" to act like this. Basically, I think it's just an extension of the rampant Narcissism that's now doing the place in, politically, economically & otherwise, but that's another story....
Oh geez ... you are not sufficiently tuned in ... not for me anyway.
The post about Sierra vs Sierras was in fun and it was not disrespectful ... that was so obvious and was prefaced carefully.
And i can take being corrected but only if the person doing the correcting has more clarity and awareness than i ... or, if the correction itself is imbued with truth ... accuracy ... insight ... relevancy.
O.K. ... that was fun ... ... i'm done.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:48 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,456,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
Oh geez ... you are not sufficiently tuned in ... not for me anyway.
The post about Sierra vs Sierras was in fun and it was not disrespectful ... that was so obvious and was prefaced carefully.
And i can take being corrected but only if the person doing the correcting has more clarity and awareness than i ... or, if the correction itself is imbued with truth ... accuracy ... insight ... relevancy.
O.K. ... that was fun ... ... i'm done.

Old 05-05-2010, 01:15 PM

137 posts, read 327,949 times
Environmentalism on steroids! I am sick of the increasing regulations.

Old 05-05-2010, 03:58 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I get "bugged" by the extra steps and costs of things, like semi-annual smog checks on vehicles, etc. that we have in place...
I don't mind the vehicle smog checks. They've made a difference in air quality. It certainly beats the 3rd stage smog alerts from the 1960s, when as kids we were yanked off our school playgrounds due to toxic smog levels.

The only thing that really bugs me is the increased traffic.

Old 05-05-2010, 04:10 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Increased classroom sizes
Don't we still have in effect the reduced class size (20:1 ratio) in public schools for grades K-3 from the mid-1990's? Or has that changed?

Quote:
school degradation in general
I agree. A big problem.

Old 05-05-2010, 04:23 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Housing costs, hostility to small business, CA government, and a weird puritan streak that you wouldn't expect to be there but is

In SoCal and parts of NorCal: lack of good public transit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California