U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 07:39 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,367 posts, read 8,548,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
My property tax equals 4 1/2 months of mortgage payments...

I would be thrilled with a property tax amount anywhere equal to one month's mortgage payment.

My Pick-up that I've always maintained is a 1991 Silverado... I've recently noticed a slight rod knock coming from the engine... 3 1/2 months of Mortgage Payments would easily cover a new motor...

I've only been to MO once... I have standing invitations from people I used to work with that made the move... might have to take up that offer and have a look.
Well, you could always consider the much cheaper parts of Cali too, and in fact they even kinda resemble MO (and TX, AR, OK, AL, etc.)!

As with most things in life, nuthin's ever "free", and you only get what you pay for (one way or another)....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2010, 08:00 AM

23,605 posts, read 31,328,305 times
Quote:
I've only been to MO once... I have standing invitations from people I used to work with that made the move... might have to take up that offer and have a look.
You could do worse. It's a beautiful state with low taxes across the board, comparitively negligable property costs for large lots and parcels in scenic locations and overall we find it about a third less expensive than California.

The down-sides for some are four actual seasons, although none are particularly harsh, it is decidedly in the bible belt and patriotism is high and visible as are conservative values. Yes, there are redneck/hillbilly overtones here-and-there but the people of all walks of life are pleasant, friendly, polite, respectful of others, welcoming and helpful.

One thing you have to get used to is that people wave to one another, and complete strangers at that. These are real waves, not half a peace sign, one finger salutes, and you can wave back without fear of being shot at.

Old 05-08-2010, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
You could do worse. It's a beautiful state with low taxes across the board, comparitively negligable property costs for large lots and parcels in scenic locations and overall we find it about a third less expensive than California.

The down-sides for some are four actual seasons, although none are particularly harsh, it is decidedly in the bible belt and patriotism is high and visible as are conservative values. Yes, there are redneck/hillbilly overtones here-and-there but the people of all walks of life are pleasant, friendly, polite, respectful of others, welcoming and helpful.

One thing you have to get used to is that people wave to one another, and complete strangers at that. These are real waves, not half a peace sign, one finger salutes, and you can wave back without fear of being shot at.
You mean even after they see the "Obama" sticker on my car....?

Old 05-08-2010, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
You mean even after they see the "Obama" sticker on my car....?
They'll pray for you!

Old 05-08-2010, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
They'll pray for you!
LOL!!! And I'm sure I know where they're prayin' for me to go...!

Old 05-08-2010, 11:10 AM

25,918 posts, read 28,296,052 times
Quote:
Agreed, it shouldn't, including "running in the red" to subsidize artificially low taxes for folks who otherwise couldn't afford to live here.
Or how about, artificially high services for those who aren't even here legally????

Old 05-08-2010, 11:18 AM

25,918 posts, read 28,296,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post

And I didn't say CA was a low tax state. That said, we're not paying enough taxes to even sustain the way things are now. Either the taxes get raised to the point that we can afford what's in front of us or we cut the **** out of services enough that we can afford to pay for a piece of **** public schooling system/PD/etc. I'd rather pick the former... if people pick the latter then what's the point of paying taxes at all? What would be the point of living in CA as opposed to the other 49 states that can actually balance their budget without completely ****ing over the citizens?
Flava you just don't get it.

Maybe this recent LA Times editorial will convince you. The short version of it is this: We have high taxes and crappy public services. The money is being wasted. Other states, like Texas, may have the same crappy public services, but at least they have low taxes to compensate.

And by the way, this editorial was written by an academic...and those types are usually the ones who think spending more money will fix all the problems. Now, even some from that area are starting to notice that our tax money is being wasted.

The Golden State isn't worth it - Los Angeles Times

Old 05-08-2010, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Flava you just don't get it.

Maybe this recent LA Times editorial will convince you. The short version of it is this: We have high taxes and crappy public services. The money is being wasted. Other states, like Texas, may have the same crappy public services, but at least they have low taxes to compensate.

And by the way, this editorial was written by an academic...and those types are usually the ones who think spending more money will fix all the problems. Now, even some from that area are starting to notice that our tax money is being wasted.

The Golden State isn't worth it - Los Angeles Times
WOW! Not a single word I can dispute and, in my opinion, an accurate assessment of what's so horribly out of kilter in CA.

Having said that, you still couldn't pay me to live in TX. Been there, done that thanks to the military. Would never do it again!

Old 05-08-2010, 10:04 PM

26,577 posts, read 51,948,730 times
Quote:
Well, you could always consider the much cheaper parts of Cali too, and in fact they even kinda resemble MO (and TX, AR, OK, AL, etc.)!

As with most things in life, nuthin's ever "free", and you only get what you pay for (one way or another)....
I've never considered Oakland CA to be one of the expensive parts of CA...

Your right about Nuthin's Free

Old 05-08-2010, 10:53 PM

Quote:
I've never considered Oakland CA to be one of the expensive parts of CA...

Your right about Nuthin's Free
Well, judging from your complaints, it obviously ain't the cheapest part either.

Although I can also understand how you might not be getting enough, um, "value" for your money!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or