U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 12:28 PM

4,182 posts, read 5,787,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaBMe View Post
I have no idea if it violates the dress code or not: I thought it was a hypothetical question.
Native Americans would like to wear their traditional garb. It's not a hypothetical question. Would you call them "unpatriotic" if they came to school in such attire?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2010, 01:04 PM

24,839 posts, read 29,977,838 times
the school should have let them keep their shirts on and get their a$$es kicked. But then someone would have faulted the school for not making them change their shirts.

Old 05-08-2010, 01:21 PM

1,476 posts, read 1,738,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
Native Americans would like to wear their traditional garb. It's not a hypothetical question. Would you call them "unpatriotic" if they came to school in such attire?
I would assume they are proud of their heritage. They should be free to wear whatever they like just as the Mexicans are and the students wearing the American flag symbolic garb. As long as it doesn't violate any universal school dress code applied equally to all students.

Have them call and check with the specific school regarding the dress code. Have fun!

Old 05-08-2010, 01:40 PM

Quote:
I would assume they are proud of their heritage. They should be free to wear whatever they like just as the Mexicans are and the students wearing the American flag symbolic garb. As long as it doesn't violate any universal school dress code applied equally to all students.

Have them call and check with the specific school regarding the dress code. Have fun!
You're evading the question. I'm not asking you whether you think they are proud of their heritage. We already know that they are. I'm asking you whether you think they should be considered American patriots for wearing their traditional garb.

You said this in an earlier post: "The attire the students were clad in was standard patriotic wear seen at schools across the country on any given day."

You were referring to the students at Morgan Hill who were wearing shirts with the American flag as wearing "standard patriotic wear". So, are you implying that a native American student who goes to school in traditional regalia is not wearing "standard patriotic wear"?

Old 05-08-2010, 04:20 PM

Quote:
You're evading the question. I'm not asking you whether you think they are proud of their heritage. We already know that they are. I'm asking you whether you think they should be considered American patriots for wearing their traditional garb.

You said this in an earlier post: "The attire the students were clad in was standard patriotic wear seen at schools across the country on any given day."

You were referring to the students at Morgan Hill who were wearing shirts with the American flag as wearing "standard patriotic wear". So, are you implying that a native American student who goes to school in traditional regalia is not wearing "standard patriotic wear"?
Well, no its not standard U.S. Patriotic garb; i.e. U.S. flag colors. But, they are free to wear and be proud of their Native American Heritage. Happy???

Old 05-08-2010, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Well, no its not standard U.S. Patriotic garb; i.e. U.S. flag colors. But, they are free to wear and be proud of their Native American Heritage. Happy???
Hmmm.....who says what "standard US patriotic garb" is? Can you show us where it says that "standard patriotic garb" is equivalent to US flag colors and nothing else?

What if the Native Americans decided to celebrate the Lakota and Cheyenne victory over George Custer during the Battle of Little Bighorn? What if they came to school in war regalia to commemorate the victory? Would you be offended by it that you would be compelled to wear "standard patriotic US garb" (whatever that means) to counter such "anti-American" displays?

Old 05-08-2010, 05:24 PM

2,903 posts, read 11,419,862 times
Just a reminder.
It sounds like, given your silly hypothetical scenario regarding american indian school children, you need one.

Morgan Hill high school students sent home for Cinco de Mayo clothing choice-entering-prr.jpg

Old 05-08-2010, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Hmmm.....who says what "standard US patriotic garb" is? Can you show us where it says that "standard patriotic garb" is equivalent to US flag colors and nothing else?

What if the Native Americans decided to celebrate the Lakota and Cheyenne victory over George Custer during the Battle of Little Bighorn? What if they came to school in war regalia to commemorate the victory? Would you be offended by it that you would be compelled to wear "standard patriotic US garb" (whatever that means) to counter such "anti-American" displays?
Nope. They are free to wear what they like; long as its not violating the school's universal dress code, that applies to all, equally. That, my dear, is the point. Doesn't matter who is "offended" by it, loves it or hates it. Free country!

Old 05-08-2010, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Nope. They are free to wear what they like; long as its not violating the school's universal dress code, that applies to all, equally. That, my dear, is the point. Doesn't matter who is "offended" by it, loves it or hates it. Free country!
Well, you need to tell yourself that.

Old 05-08-2010, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Well, you need to tell yourself that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or