Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 01:50 PM

3 posts, read 12,065 times

Advertisements

I was offered a RN job at the hospital in Turlock. I am in DESPERATE need of information about the town as I am from Ohio and have never set foot in the state of California. I have 5 kids so crime, safety, schools, and the overall family environment is important to me.

Also we will be renting....is rent reasonable in the area?

Anyone know anything about the hospital in Turlock?

Please, please reply or send me an e-mail at marys_mama@hotmail.com
ALicia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 01:52 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERNurseAlicia View Post
I was offered a RN job at the hospital in Turlock. I am in DESPERATE need of information about the town as I am from Ohio and have never set foot in the state of California. I have 5 kids so crime, safety, schools, and the overall family environment is important to me.

Also we will be renting....is rent reasonable in the area?

Anyone know anything about the hospital in Turlock?

Please, please reply or send me an e-mail at marys_mama@hotmail.com
ALicia
Google Turlock.

Turlock is a college town. A decent place to live.

Old 05-10-2010, 02:16 PM

I have Googled it...however sometimes hearing ideas from people who are there is very helpful.
Alicia

Old 05-27-2010, 06:45 PM

1 posts, read 3,986 times
Alicia, I am doing a phone interview there next week, PLEASE let me know if you find anything out,,

Last edited by ERGeorgia; 05-27-2010 at 06:46 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 05-27-2010, 08:21 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,615,239 times
Turlock is ok. Next to Modesto. In the foothills of the Sierra's. Gets real hot in summer and cold in winter.

Old 05-28-2010, 02:42 PM

405 posts, read 1,345,900 times
I'd be careful calling Turlock a college town. That suggests a close knit community wrapped around a campus. In my mind, it's more of a gas, pee and hamburger town on your way to someplace else. Ferret is right in the sense that it's hot and next to quite crappy Modest(hole). Can't help you with the medical facilities there but the town itself is relatively safe. Again, that's relatively.

Schools are poorly rated, as are the neighboring towns, so don't let that surprise you. They're better in Salida and/or northern Modesto if that commute is an option.

Old 05-29-2010, 11:09 AM

1,077 posts, read 3,237,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
Turlock is ok. Next to Modesto. In the foothills of the Sierra's. Gets real hot in summer and cold in winter.
Alright, maybe you should pay my attention to my post, since people like this are saying things like this lol. Turlock is not in the foothills of the sierra's. It gets hot in the summer and cold in the winter, yea, no s**t. It's still on the planet earth and isn't Monterey or San Fransisco, big suprise.

I live in Turlock, and it's not perfect, and doesn't have huge entertainment options, but I think if you do have to live in the Central Valley, it's one of the better cities. It's relatively safe as long as you stay away from the Southwest side of town. The area around the college is great, and you can find reasonable rent. Anything you need is there, the Monte Vista Crossings shopping center has the typical Target,Home Depot, Kohl's, etc. If you want to do major shopping at a mall, Modesto is 15 min away. Some good dining options, and isn't overly congested.

As for the hospital, both of my kids were born there, at Emanuel. It's a good hospital that had some major add ons, renovations recently. It isn't as top notch as the hospitals in Modesto, but still a good facility. It isn't Carmel or San Deigo, but if you have a job offer and have to live there, you could do MUCH worse.

Old 05-30-2010, 08:29 AM

Thank you so much everone!!! I leave on Saturday to move out to Turlock. Hoping for the best!!!
Alicia

Old 07-07-2010, 03:06 AM

58 posts, read 188,958 times
ERNurseAlicia - did you make it out to Turlock? How is the hospital and your impression of the area?

Old 08-05-2010, 10:36 PM

23 posts, read 70,226 times
I am also an RN in the valley here, very familiar with the Turlock hospital (Emanuel Medical Center). Turlock is a good community, and the hospital is small but they are adding on. Most of the critical cases are sent to Modesto which is larger and north of Turlock. Pay for an RN is better in Modesto, and there are more hospitals to choose from. Turlock does have a college, but I wouldn't call it a "college town" scene.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California