U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 12:54 AM

18,404 posts, read 16,110,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
If you don't like paying it, you have 2 options. Buy a new car and get out of it for a while. I think up to 5 years now. Or buy a car older than 1973 and get out of if for ever. Complaining will get you no where.
Yes, those are two options.
In California, 1975 model year cars and older are exempt from smog tests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 10:31 AM

2 posts, read 2,065 times
i hear you its b u l l s h i t but i guess its a way for the government to make money

Old 03-14-2011, 09:53 AM

2 posts, read 2,472 times
In California, the Consumer Assistance Program (CAP) is actually a benefit for certain small businesses. The state-certified *Gold Star* (test and repair) smog shops, which are often a regular auto shop that does all kinds of other repairs, gives free government (i.e. taxpayer) money up to $500 under the California Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR). If your vehicle fails its smog test and needs repairs to the smog control system, CAP pays up to $500 to the repair shop, with only a $20 co-pay by the consumer/driver/car owner.

So, any *Gold Star* smog-check+repair shop can do all kinds of work on the car, with no harm to the consumer/driver unless the cost goes over $500.

And who pays for the state's Consumer Assistance Program in the long run? Every taxpayer in California, of course.

But most of us drive cars, so it's a fairly clever redistribution of wealth -- and the State wins too, with all the other fees (registration, high taxes on gasoline, etc.).

IMHO in Bakersfield, CA

Old 03-14-2011, 10:10 AM

6,390 posts, read 3,447,235 times
I just had my Jeep smogged, $48 bucks, it failed, there will be no charge for a retest after the O2 sensor is replaced.

Generally those who rant about how awful or what a rip off some place or thing is, missed some important piece of information.

Of course discount or promo coupons or offers are designed to get you in the door so that the firm can hit you up for additional work or services, that is why they are done.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:13 PM

5,375 posts, read 7,064,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
Basically, if you're in a densely populated area with prime opportunity for revenue generation, you're going to be subject to the smog frequency for older cars/"encouragement" to buy a new car frequently.
In sparsely populated areas there aren't very many cars but the same amount of air so these cars have far less impact on their local air quality.

Old 03-14-2011, 03:21 PM

16,587 posts, read 20,262,629 times
Had mine retested this January. Still 60 bucks, but this time I was in and out in <10 minutes. I still don't mind paying the fee, just like I didn't mind last May when this topic was started.

Old 03-16-2011, 06:07 PM

2 posts, read 2,472 times
Quick addition to my own message a few days ago: I forgot to mention that there's a low-income qualification to California's BAR/Consumer Assistance Program, but it's not too drastic.

Old 04-26-2011, 02:40 PM

7 posts, read 4,178 times
fyi, (just sayin)

the California smog cap program now takes a couple months to reply to smog cap repair applications... so basically, when you fail and fill out the forms and mail them to the bastages at the ca smog program offices, the application just sits there for months while your registration expires waiting for the smog repair approval. the application used to take about 3 to 4 weeks... at most..

then you have to get an appointment at some mechanic to find the problem and get it fixed, meahwile the dmv rapes you over being late..

Old 04-28-2011, 02:08 AM

973 posts, read 762,666 times
The last time there were budget issues, the California SMOG Cap program was the first to be de-funded, so I'm wondering if they did that again. It would be worth calling them to see if the applications are being reviewed, or are sitting until the funding is assured.

If your renewal fees are paid on time, there's no late fees. If you don't pay the renewal fees while you're working out the smog issue, then late fees would be due.

Old 04-29-2011, 10:03 AM

17,320 posts, read 13,850,199 times
Anyone want to talk 450 dollar registration fees?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California