U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 11:57 PM

7,412 posts, read 8,215,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
I posted and got off line so I could cut grass, do my laundry, and other chores around the house. You know, things responsible adults do around their home instead of spending the entire day online.
We know who you are, sailordave [neo-confederate in your other posts]. Any attack on California is all you produce here & seem much better suited on the politics board.

The cross at a federal memorial park is inappropriate unless Republicans welcome the Crescent Moon\ the Star of David\ Hindu\ Buddhist\ Confucius symbols. And you know fully well how tolerant Baptists\Evangelicals are about other faiths? Its hypocritical and misguided nonsense. I am Catholic & when the archbishop fought with the county for taking the cross out of the LA flag, he was roundly criticised by fellow Catholics for imposing a religion on others. Maybe we could have a big statue of St Mary on the public land, would that be OK?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 12:25 AM

14,095 posts, read 23,643,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
We know who you are, sailordave [neo-confederate in your other posts]. Any attack on California is all you produce here & seem much better suited on the politics board.

The cross at a federal memorial park is inappropriate unless Republicans welcome the Crescent Moon\ the Star of David\ Hindu\ Buddhist\ Confucius symbols. And you know fully well how tolerant Baptists\Evangelicals are about other faiths? Its hypocritical and misguided nonsense. I am Catholic & when the archbishop fought with the county for taking the cross out of the LA flag, he was roundly criticised by fellow Catholics for imposing a religion on others. Maybe we could have a big statue of St Mary on the public land, would that be OK?
The US Supreme Court doesn't share your view. That cross was put up as a memorial to soldiers who served in WW1. Perhaps you'd like to see the crosses and Star of David removed from the headstones of soldiers who are buried at national cemetaries?

Old 05-12-2010, 05:26 AM

2,813 posts, read 4,228,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Why do you hate our nation's military and the christian based religions? You must for some of you to have stolen the war memorial cross within your state.
Not all "liberals" are like that. Just the EXTREMISTS. A contrast would be conservative extremists.

I guess I'm considered liberal but I am 100% in favor of the Pledge of Allegiance, prayer in schools, Protestantism as the official/unofficial religion, and sealing our borders and throwing people out.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:03 AM

23,605 posts, read 31,405,507 times
Quote:
I apologize for that comment to Curmudgeon. It's like a perpetrator comes into your house and a family member joins them. It's an insult to the people who like Curmudgeon.
Gladly accepted! Let me clear up a few misperceptions and list a couple of personal facts. First of all, I love California and always have. It's my native state in which I spent most of my life, raised me five children and had a productive and generally enjoyable career. It also affords me and my wife a comfortable retirement. But I am also sorely disappointed in what has happened to it over the past few decades. It's almost like a father lamenting the path in life taken by one of his children that he sees as meaningless, bordering on destructive.

I am not a Republican and haven't been one for 20 years. In California I was a decline to state who was, and remains, a fiscal conservative but social moderate. I was heavily involved in health and human services issues for the elderly and the mentally ill and advocated for both. My wife was also an advocate for seniors. Interestingly enough, when we registered to vote here in Missouri we were not asked for a party affiliation. I rather liked that since it means open primaries -- something the Republican Party in California won't agree to.

Like you, I'm a Catholic, and a convert at that. I was raised as a Protestant but made the change about 30 years ago. Also like you, I'm not always in acc ord with the churchs heirarchy. But I guess that's just a by-product of free will.

Finally, the color yellow has no place in my life or character. As a combat veteran who was also in law enforcement for a number of years, fear is not in my character. In fact, one of my reasons for leaving law enforcement was that I recognized that the lack of that quality at times made me reckless and I had a tendency to run headlong into dangerous situations that put not just me but my partners at risk. Not good!

So, meanwhile, I'll reel it in as best I can so there are no further misunderstandings. In closing, nothing would pleasae me more than to see California regain its golden glow. Most of my family is still there and while my children are all adults, my fondest hope is that their children will, one day, be able to enjoy and benefit from a strong, stable, wondrous California like I did growing up.

Pax!

Old 05-12-2010, 08:40 AM

16,133 posts, read 20,786,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Millions of Veterans of Foreign Wars who honor their fallen comrades.
I'm a Veteran, I've actually seen that cross. Somehow I don't get the connection. If it were to honor the fallen they could have put it where people would see it.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:57 AM

It was erected in the 1930s by veterans of WW I in honor of their fallen companions. Back then, no one ever thought that a cross would be controversial. How times have changed!

Old 05-12-2010, 09:08 AM

16,133 posts, read 20,786,641 times
Quote:
It was erected in the 1930s by veterans of WW I in honor of their fallen companions. Back then, no one ever thought that a cross would be controversial. How times have changed!
How many Veterans went out to see it?
How much of the public went to see it?
This while the graves of many famed World War I vets look abandoned.

Pop Quiz
Who was the most decorated soldier in World War I?
Who is the Hospital at Yountville named for?
Where is he buried?

Old 05-12-2010, 09:12 AM

7,412 posts, read 8,215,260 times
Quote:
Gladly accepted! Let me clear up a few misperceptions and list a couple of personal facts. First of all, I love California and always have. It's my native state in which I spent most of my life, raised me five children and had a productive and generally enjoyable career. It also affords me and my wife a comfortable retirement. But I am also sorely disappointed in what has happened to it over the past few decades. It's almost like a father lamenting the path in life taken by one of his children that he sees as meaningless, bordering on destructive.

I am not a Republican and haven't been one for 20 years. In California I was a decline to state who was, and remains, a fiscal conservative but social moderate. I was heavily involved in health and human services issues for the elderly and the mentally ill and advocated for both. My wife was also an advocate for seniors. Interestingly enough, when we registered to vote here in Missouri we were not asked for a party affiliation. I rather liked that since it means open primaries -- something the Republican Party in California won't agree to.

Like you, I'm a Catholic, and a convert at that. I was raised as a Protestant but made the change about 30 years ago. Also like you, I'm not always in acc ord with the churchs heirarchy. But I guess that's just a by-product of free will.

Finally, the color yellow has no place in my life or character. As a combat veteran who was also in law enforcement for a number of years, fear is not in my character. In fact, one of my reasons for leaving law enforcement was that I recognized that the lack of that quality at times made me reckless and I had a tendency to run headlong into dangerous situations that put not just me but my partners at risk. Not good!

So, meanwhile, I'll reel it in as best I can so there are no further misunderstandings. In closing, nothing would pleasae me more than to see California regain its golden glow. Most of my family is still there and while my children are all adults, my fondest hope is that their children will, one day, be able to enjoy and benefit from a strong, stable, wondrous California like I did growing up.

Pax!
As I have written before, personally I like you [and Ms Nita for that matter] even though I disagree with you most of the time. Two things triggered my reaction to you yesterday: 1] You agreed with a guy who has a horrible reputation on C-D for advocating the confederate cause w/ strong racist overtones. You may not do any reading in the "Politics" forum [I wouldn't recommend it to anyone btw] but when sailordave posts on the California board it is for one reason only & that is to thrash the state with misleading and emotion-filled slander. When you side with someone like sailordave it is like being a traitor to California especially when you know what he has written is fabricated and intentionally divisive. 2] You referred to me as "esse"\ it is spelled "ese" and it is as racist as the "n' word for Blacks. That demeaning reference to me was very disrespectful yet you haven't apologized.

But the issue has nothing to do with honoring Veterans as the monument stands for. It is rather a dispute over one religious symbol on federal land that really has nothing to do with Vets [especially those who do not accept Christianity in a country that supposedly has a clear distinction between church and state]. Would you oppose a crucifix in a public school classroom?

Old 05-12-2010, 09:20 AM

19,126 posts, read 26,633,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Thank you. You are correct. I was writing too fast. A more accurate statement should read Many Californians rather than most. And many in the sense of a greater percentage than other states. Of course you are right that not all Californian's ascribe to this out with traditional American values in with the new either. But I think its fair to say we have a higher percentage who would vote for such things if/when given the opportunity. And unfortunately remove something which holds significance to fallen soldiers because it doesn't align with their current belief system or lack thereof.

I wonder where this might be? Definately not the parts of CA I've lived in - Mainly coastal SoCal and the Monterey Bay area. And BTW, I'm both at the same time, strange at it may seem. LOL

Derek
I live in Southern SLO county now, but there is a HUUUUUGE evangelical presence in northern SLO county. Not so much here, they tend to keep quieter. But when I lived in north SLO... I was constantly asked if I 'knew Jesus' or wanted to go to church. I actually lost more than one friend due to my questioning of religion.

So yeah....you can find enclaves of conservative religious folks everywhere

Old 05-12-2010, 09:38 AM

Quote:
As I have written before, personally I like you [and Ms Nita for that matter] even though I disagree with you most of the time. Two things triggered my reaction to you yesterday: 1] You agreed with a guy who has a horrible reputation on C-D for advocating the confederate cause w/ strong racist overtones. You may not do any reading in the "Politics" forum [I wouldn't recommend it to anyone btw] but when sailordave posts on the California board it is for one reason only & that is to thrash the state with misleading and emotion-filled slander. When you side with someone like sailordave it is like being a traitor to California especially when you know what he has written is fabricated and intentionally divisive. 2] You referred to me as "esse"\ it is spelled "ese" and it is as racist as the "n' word for Blacks. That demeaning reference to me was very disrespectful yet you haven't apologized.

But the issue has nothing to do with honoring Veterans as the monument stands for. It is rather a dispute over one religious symbol on federal land that really has nothing to do with Vets [especially those who do not accept Christianity in a country that supposedly has a clear distinction between church and state]. Would you oppose a crucifix in a public school classroom?
I apologize! It wasn't intended as a slur or insult. And, yes, I would oppose a crucifix in a public school classroom. However, I also believe that over-much has been made of the "separation of church and state" when no such words are found in the Constitution, but that's a whole other subject/flash-point best left to the political boards.

By the way, I stay away from that site because I spent almost 20 years working in politics in the state and my wife did as well. Probably not a healthy place for people with inside knowledge of realpolitik!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California