U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2010, 12:23 PM

4 posts, read 7,507 times

Advertisements

27 year old couple looking to relocate to California from Philly for many reasons. We have been researching different towns/cities and are curious what the masses have to suggest.

Here is our short n sweet list of items we would like to hit at our next residence:

1. Good, high-demand restaurant and wine business. We are both in the food and beverage industry.

2. Within 25 miles of good music and dance clubs. The best place for this in California would be LA of course.

3. The option of living close enough to the beach/ocean where we could see it every morning (without spending $3,000/mo for a 1br).

4. Good People! For anyone who has been to Philly you know why we ask of this!

Thanks to everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2010, 03:28 PM

3,370 posts, read 5,167,279 times
San Diego might work for you:

> 1. Good, high-demand restaurant and wine business. We are both in the food and beverage industry.

Check! Gaslamp is one of our popular restaurant areas: dining

> 2. Within 25 miles of good music and dance clubs. The best place for this in California would be LA of course.

I've seen better music scenes but we're OK. Look here: San Diego CityBeat - Your local resource for Music, Concerts, Restaurants, the Arts and More

> 3. The option of living close enough to the beach/ocean where we could see it every morning (without spending $3,000/mo for a 1br).

A 1bd with ocean view in a young area of town will run you about $1500-$1700 a month for a nice place.

> 4. Good People! For anyone who has been to Philly you know why we ask of this!

There are lots of ex-Philly people in San Diego (I'm one of them). All the rowdy Eagle fans seem to stay in Philly.

I rarely check this California forum. You'll find lots of friendly people in the San Diego forum to answer any questions you may have about San Diego.

Good luck with your relocation!

Old 05-11-2010, 05:44 PM

99 posts, read 344,560 times
My first thought was Napa. They really do have some good restaurants right in town as well as nearby areas. And are right in the middle of the wine industry.

But they are a bit further from the beach then I think you want. So my second thought would be the Sonoma County area. Again some good restaurants, wine industry and close to the beach. I have a friend who lives in Santa Rosa who goes running at the beach every morning.

You are also close enough to SF that you can hit the dance clubs - of which they have (or at least used to have when I was dancing not too long ago) quite a few.

The last part about Good People - well I don't know Philly so not sure what you are talking about. But in general I think most people are good and I certainly have never had a problem up in this area.

Old 05-11-2010, 05:48 PM

16,134 posts, read 20,774,031 times
I moved from Philly to San Francisco, it was great. Live in the City so you can take Public Transit to work

Old 05-11-2010, 05:57 PM

7,115 posts, read 19,003,047 times
i would consider the central coast of CA, great wine and plenty of coastline. santa barbara probably even has a decent music scene. otherwise, any of the big cities should meet your basic requirements. Food and drink are big across the state. SF is probably the #1 food city in the state with LA not too far behind and SD coming in a distant 3rd. as for good people, there are good people everywhere, but in CA they are going to be different than what you're used to in Philly. I've spend some time with people from Philly and they are quite different than us west coasters. not really better or worse, just different. the same can be said for entire east coast.

Old 05-11-2010, 11:00 PM

3,813 posts, read 3,648,312 times
I hate to say this, however, have you TRULY thought about what you are doing? Have you really looked into the costs of living in California? Rent? Owning? Etc? I don't think you really have. A small, studio apartment in the places suggested to you, can cost in excess of 2 thousand dollars a month. Which is probably, much more then you and your husband will be making; unless you have some sort of great skills. Remember, that is rent alone. Don't forget everything else, which will be another thousand dollars plus.

My suggestion is to sit down and REALLY think about coming here. California is a good (or was) state. However, it has HUGE problems right now. Taxes are high and are going to get higher. Property values are off the charts, etc. Be realistic about your earning potential. The food industry here isn't all that good; unless you are a 5 star chef. Being a waitress will make you, maybe 12-20 bucks an hour, which, again, is NOTHING in this state.

I'm not trying to be negative, I am trying to be realistic. Think long and hard. And REALLY do your research.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or