Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2010, 06:32 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,806,093 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering if transplants to the California area over the past 5 years or so would do it again. Give us your thoughts on how you gained or maybe lost on the decision you made back then before "bottom" fell out of the recession.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 09:13 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,216,682 times
We moved out to California about four years ago, from the Midwest.

Our reason for relocation had to do with obtaining a better day program for our adult mentally handicapped daughter. Looking at it from our objective, her programs have been very good and we are glad she has constructive daily activity.

The constant budget discussions and threats to her program are always a concern. Hopefully we will retain the program since it doesn't appear to be a significant cost issue. However, losing the program would potentially make things very difficult for us.

On the downside financially, we bought a house after the housing prices had about a 10-12% decline from peak, so we have "suffered" much of the housing loss. Though that never is fun, keeping the house lessens the problem, it really doesn't come significantly into play unless you try and sell it to move elsewhere.

Regarding California itself, it has pluses and minuses. Trying to look at it objectively, I'd say California has spectacular scenery and an incredible number of things to see and do. However, I've also found much of the state to be pretty dirty, with a lot of trash in many places I've visited. I've also found cleanliness to apparently be a challenge, along with general maintenance associated with public facilities and housing/apartments.

Absent our objective of helping out our daughter, I'd say that this isn't where we would choose to live. I personally preferred the Midwest.

Old 05-18-2010, 12:11 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
We moved out to California about four years ago, from the Midwest.

Our reason for relocation had to do with obtaining a better day program for our adult mentally handicapped daughter. Looking at it from our objective, her programs have been very good and we are glad she has constructive daily activity.

The constant budget discussions and threats to her program are always a concern. Hopefully we will retain the program since it doesn't appear to be a significant cost issue. However, losing the program would potentially make things very difficult for us.

On the downside financially, we bought a house after the housing prices had about a 10-12% decline from peak, so we have "suffered" much of the housing loss. Though that never is fun, keeping the house lessens the problem, it really doesn't come significantly into play unless you try and sell it to move elsewhere.

Regarding California itself, it has pluses and minuses. Trying to look at it objectively, I'd say California has spectacular scenery and an incredible number of things to see and do. However, I've also found much of the state to be pretty dirty, with a lot of trash in many places I've visited. I've also found cleanliness to apparently be a challenge, along with general maintenance associated with public facilities and housing/apartments.

Absent our objective of helping out our daughter, I'd say that this isn't where we would choose to live. I personally preferred the Midwest.
I think my favorite part of California is where you live, Sacramento on up to Paradise and we enjoy visiting. We also love visiting the bay area and parts of Los Angeles, but since we left the state many things seem to have changed. We too, prefer where we live. yes, tech we are in the south, but being so far north (almost in Kansas and Mo) we feel like this is the midwest.

That being said, Ca has a lot to offer for the right person and there seems to be a lot that are the right type.

Nita

Old 05-18-2010, 02:17 PM

230 posts, read 623,393 times
Great question! I'm in a bit of a backwards situation in regard to the question. I LEFT California 7 years ago, and it would "would you go back?"

We left the Central Coast of California for a job offer in the Seattle area, in 2003. We were so taken with the physical beauty of the place, and the gorgeous homes. There was a list of reasons why we left California, and it's funny because those are the reasons that I see on City-Data all the time now. We were tired of the brown, the brushfires, the bad roads, housing prices, and a State that was in a perpetual budget crisis. Crime, even in the Central Coast area has gotten much worse, and the gangs from the South have really made their way up. Though I was never one to worry about these things, thinking that it all evens out in the end, I'm concerned now about the costs of self-employment in California. I compare costs and fees and taxes for someone in my field, and they are at least double that of other States.

So, I ask myself: Would I go back to California? In fact, I'm asking myself that right now. Seattle and Washington is gorgeous. But I never really clicked with it. Can't handle the 'dark at 3pm' in the winter, and I just don't seem to fit in here. My life situation has changed, and I am leaving the area. But.. do I go back to California? Is my MEMORY of California idolized? It just seems like the State went south when I stepped out of there for 7 years.

Last year, we went on a vacation back there, and after a few days were ready to go explore Oregon. I have a history in Eugene, Oregon, and love it. I'm really considering a move there instead. I just don't think I can do California again. I love the beaches, I love the produce, and I love some of the laid back people and outdoor lifestyle. But maybe it's not enough.

In answer to the question: Yes. I would leave California again, but choose another place to go instead of Seattle. Would I come back? At this point, I doubt it.

Old 05-19-2010, 10:41 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,566,566 times
Came out here from Rhode Island in 2005.

I'm pretty sure I'd make the move again - - what I wouldn't do is buy a house again. My wife and I thought we were getting in at the perfect time and it ended up being the worst time.

Both of us are educators. We are making a lot more money out here than we ever did in Rhode Island (and Rhode Island's economy is in worse shape than California's today). But I lost one of my teaching gigs last year with Schwartzenegger's cutbacks and that cost us $20,000 this year.

If we still lived in the apartment that we lived in the first three years, we'd still be flush with money even with that income drop. Now I feel trapped with the house. I blame a lot on myself - - I don't know much about economics and the business world.

Really the financial situation is the only thing I don't like about living in San Diego - - everything else I love or can easily tolerate.

I'm not sure where we will be when 2015 hits. I hope our house doesn't make that decision for us.

Old 05-19-2010, 01:34 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,807,429 times
No, I would definitely not do it again. We moved here in 2004, put down almost 50% on our house, which has lost about that much since we bought it. So I can either sell and lose all the down payment, or be stuck somewhere I don't particularly like. Now if I had chosen northern part of Cal I think I'd be feeling differently, as I seem to feel more at home up there (originally from Oregon).

Old 05-20-2010, 12:07 AM

1,539 posts, read 3,190,969 times
No.

Old 05-20-2010, 02:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,503 times
Yes - I moved here for the second time about 3 1/2 years ago. When I lived here before I lived in the Bay Area and I now live in Paradise. I'm originally from Alaska and have lived in Washington, Colorado, Florida and Georgia and this is my favorite state by far. I love the sunshine, the warm temps, the oceans, mountains, deserts, and everything in between. I enjoy Northern California but would like to live on the Central Coast one day because of the Mediterranean climate. Obviously, California, like everywhere else, has some negatives, but nothing I can't deal with. I'll likely be here for many years. I think the most important thing people should do before moving here is to consider what it is they are really looking for. I know people who live in big cities that want the small town life, people who live in the valley who love mountains etc. California offers a great variety, geographically speaking, and if one does thorough research before moving, the chances of liking California are obviously much greater.

Last edited by CanyonLander; 05-20-2010 at 03:31 PM..

Old 05-20-2010, 03:40 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,465,602 times
I moved out here 15 years ago. I did it to pursue a relationship with a woman who is now my wife, so I can't say I regret the move.

I do regret staying here though. I have had dozens of opportunities to leave and passed them all up. I wish I had'nt. Another opportunity is on the horizon, and this time we may be leaving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California