U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 01:15 AM

3 posts, read 3,933 times

Advertisements

Hello
I am considering a move to CA and plan on opening a retail store, in June i will have about 3 weeks to explore CA and the question i have is can anyone list crowded shopping areas that are mainly a younger demographic? (15-35yr old)
Also places that have many college students?
I am open to anywhere in the state will have time to physically see each location. Thanks for any help offered!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 08:42 AM

26,346 posts, read 82,683,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happyguy411 View Post
Hello
I am considering a move to CA and plan on opening a retail store, in June i will have about 3 weeks to explore CA and the question i have is can anyone list crowded shopping areas that are mainly a younger demographic? (15-35yr old)
I am open to anywhere in the state will have time to physically see each location. Thanks for any help offered!
Westwood
Goleta/Isla Vista

Anywhere near a university?

Old 05-20-2010, 08:45 AM

32,206 posts, read 54,865,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happyguy411 View Post
Hello
I would rather sell to suburban 15-35 yr olds than to college students because they tend to have more money.

Of course it all depends on what your selling.

Anyway, here are my recommendations for finding lots of younger people with money to burn.

1. Southern Orange County(Newport Beach, Costa Mesa or Irvine)
2. Santa Clara County(Palo Alto, San Jose)
3. San Fernando Valley/ Conejo Valley(LA and Ventura Counties)
4. Tri Valley/ Diablo Valley(East Bay)
5. Northern San Diego County

Also,
Downtown San Francisco is an excellent spot where lots of wealthier young people travel to specifically to shop. The demographic and sheer number of people who visit DT SF is very impressive hence the City being the location of so many flagship stores. But its costly.

Old 05-20-2010, 11:49 AM

3,677 posts, read 13,113,995 times
Chico Home - CSU, Chico

Old 05-20-2010, 12:02 PM

thanks for the replies, any specific parts of each city i should look at?
It doesnt need to necessarily be college students just pedestrian crowded areas with a younger demographic

Old 05-20-2010, 02:21 PM

1,964 posts, read 4,576,585 times
You really should try establishing an online presence before committing yourself to a B&M store. Rent is extremely costly for boutiques and the most successful shops depend on repeat private clients rather than walk-in traffic for the bulk of their business. With the kind of demographic you're targeting, marketing (especially via social networking media like tumblr/twitter/FB/yelp/lookbook) is more important than location.

Old 05-20-2010, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingGun View Post
You really should try establishing an online presence before committing yourself to a B&M store. Rent is extremely costly for boutiques and the most successful shops depend on repeat private clients rather than walk-in traffic for the bulk of their business. With the kind of demographic you're targeting, marketing (especially via social networking media like tumblr/twitter/FB/yelp/lookbook) is more important than location.
Hello
Yes actually i already have a established online store but where i live there is really no area to open such a retail store plus i have wanted to move to CA for a while other option i was considering is Texas but prefer the beach

Old 05-20-2010, 04:28 PM

81 posts, read 258,704 times
Besides university-adjacent areas, I would think Old Town Pasadena, downtown LA, Echo Park/Silver Lake (LA), Eagle Rock (LA), Santa Monica (3rd Street Promenade), Manhattan/Hermosa/Redondo beaches (near the pier of each city), Mission Beach (San Diego), downtown San Diego, North Oakland/South Berkeley, and many neighborhoods in SF (Haight, Market Street, the Mission).

Old 05-20-2010, 04:59 PM

6,958 posts, read 19,075,972 times
There used to be a publication with retail demographics in it back in the 80's. I'll be damned if I can remember it's name now, but I'd guess there is an online equivalent for it these days. It really had some incredibly useful information about sales per square foot for every single retail type.

I can't tell you why, but I remember the El Torito in Newport Beach CA, having the highest sales psf for a restaurant in the US.

Old 05-20-2010, 06:38 PM

32,206 posts, read 54,865,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post

I can't tell you why, but I remember the El Torito in Newport Beach CA, having the highest sales psf for a restaurant in the US.
Wouldnt be a surprise at all.

That whole area is way above average as far as sales per sq ft.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or