U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-23-2010, 12:26 AM

12,761 posts, read 10,821,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
OK, so I was wrong about that.

But if we're talking irony and bigots, David Starr Jordan was a professor at Stanford who was an advocate of eugenics and "scientific racism". He publically advocated white supremacy, railed against Asians and blacks, and decried "miscegenation". He opposed World War I because he believed that whites killing each other off in war would lead to nonwhites taking over their countries. Adolf Hitler was a big fan of Professor Jordan. Yet, Jordan High School in Watts, which was overwhelmingly African-American from the day it opened (although it's probably mostly Latino now) was named after him IIRC (although I may be wrong about this as I was about Kearney).
Well man, if you are wrong about this I will not be the one to say so because as far as I'm concerned, you just educated me
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2010, 11:34 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
7,326 posts, read 4,017,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Been wondering what makes the San Francisco Bay Area the most liberal region in California? Any ideas? Has it always been liberal? I believe that at one time San Francisco had many prominent conservative families [wealthy & educated people]; what happened to them? Did they move away or become liberal? Appreciate any feedback.
It's about EDUCATION!
"The region is home to many colleges and seminaries, most notably the University of California, Berkeley, the University of California, San Francisco, and Stanford University. In addition, the Bay Area is home to two of the twenty-eight Jesuit universities in the United States, Santa Clara University (founded in 1851), and University of San Francisco (1855), which also hold the distinction of being the two oldest institutions of higher learning in the state of California. Saint Mary's College of California, built in 1863 is also a private college and is administered by the Christian Brothers. In 2003, there were approximately 545,000 students enrolled in college or graduate school. The San Francisco Bay Area population is near the top in the Nation for overall education level with approximately 41 percent of residents aged 25 years and over having a bachelors degree or higher. The San Francisco and San Jose PMSAs rank third and fourth in college graduates, ahead of Boston and behind only Boulder–Longmont, Co PMSA and Stamford–Norwalk, CT PMSA. Santa Cruz PMSA ranks eighth and the Oakland PMSA eleventh."
San Francisco Bay Area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And CREATIVITY!
Most creative American cities

BTW, the less educated a place is, generally the more "Red" (aka Conservative) and "poorer" it is:
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 11-08-2011 at 08:14 AM..

Old 05-23-2010, 11:45 AM

12,761 posts, read 10,821,967 times
Ohh, the San Francisco haters and conservatives are gonna love this LOL

Thanks for that info Mateo

Old 05-23-2010, 11:52 AM

19,001 posts, read 16,222,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
It's about EDUCATION!
BTW, the less educated a place is, generally the more "Red" (aka Conservative) and "poorer" it is:
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
It may be poorer but it's probably happier because its residents don't carry a bunch of guilt for social issues hundreds of years old, have no problem eating things they've hunted, probably never tasted tofu and find that trees make great shade and wildlife habitats but don't really respond to hugs.

Oh, yeah! They're like self-sufficient, not dependent upon the state for their welfare and are less likely to be in thrall to a labor union or political party.

Last edited by Yac; 11-08-2011 at 08:13 AM..

Old 05-23-2010, 11:59 AM

206 posts, read 236,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

Oh, yeah! They're like self-sufficient, not dependent upon the state for their welfare and are less likely to be in thrall to a labor union or political party.
Actually states like CA pay way more into the federal gov than they get back. Conservative leaning states get way more from the govt than they contribute. So while they talk about being self sufficient and liberals getting handouts etc, they are the ones getting handouts consistantly.

Maybe they think if they bash the liberal leaning states enough, they think we won't notice they are mooching off of us??

Old 05-23-2010, 12:00 PM

7,413 posts, read 3,377,414 times
Quote:
It may be poorer but it's probably happier because its residents don't carry a bunch of guilt for social issues hundreds of years old, have no problem eating things they've hunted, probably never tasted tofu and find that trees make great shade and wildlife habitats but don't really respond to hugs.

How many people in the nation are "eating things they've hunted"? When is the last time you ate what you shot or fished? I don't hunt but I do go fishing on occasion. If I depended on what I get from fishing I would starve. I don't think people even in Red states depend on what they can hunt to live off of.

Old 05-23-2010, 12:15 PM

Quote:
How many people in the nation are "eating things they've hunted"? When is the last time you ate what you shot or fished? I don't hunt but I do go fishing on occasion. If I depended on what I get from fishing I would starve. I don't think people even in Red states depend on what they can hunt to live off of.
Never said they lived off it. But it still beats tofu and veggieburgers!

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 05-23-2010 at 12:39 PM..

Old 05-23-2010, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smh1 View Post
Actually states like CA pay way more into the federal gov than they get back. Conservative leaning states get way more from the govt than they contribute. So while they talk about being self sufficient and liberals getting handouts etc, they are the ones getting handouts consistantly.

Maybe they think if they bash the liberal leaning states enough, they think we won't notice they are mooching off of us??
So the lesson here is, conservatives are more fiscally savvy, worth more and brighter than liberals, huh?

Old 05-23-2010, 12:18 PM

7,413 posts, read 3,377,414 times
Quote:
Never said they lived off it. But it still beats tofu and vegieburgers!
You got a point there! I don't think I could ever give up meat but if I had to it wouldn't be too bad. There are a lot of ways to cook veggies that are quite delicious [ie bbq].

Old 05-23-2010, 12:22 PM

Quote:
You got a point there! I don't think I could ever give up meat but if I had to it wouldn't be too bad. There are a lot of ways to cook veggies that are quite delicious [ie bbq].
Now THAT you and I can agree on! Grilled veggies are wonderful; just hold the shrooms and DON'T call it a burger 'cause it ain't!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California