Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 07:46 PM

457 posts, read 1,182,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
OK. If you have the talent and drive you can do that anywhere. There is nothing magical about CA that will make this happen for you though. Put something online and have people see your stuff.

I'm going to answer your question. Yes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 08:03 PM

47 posts, read 118,895 times
Thanks for the responses. All make valid points.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:27 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,305,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronmhatch View Post
I live on the East Coast. I'm thinking of dropping out of graduate school to move to California so that I can make a new life. I am 24 with an bachelor's degree but no job lined up. I would like to be a professional artist / writer, creating music and films. I feel like I don't fit in with the work force and would not enjoy a career in the field my graduate degree is associated with. Someone suggested that I finish my degree and then move to California. One problem with this is that I've been told by some offices in California that my chance of getting hired in their state (it's an education position) is slim to none.

I can survive on very little. I even have no problem with starting off homeless in order to get my footing. As long as I can feed myself, I am content.

With that said, am I still crazy to trek across the US to Cali without any prospects lined up? Does anyone have any positive encouragement for me? Does anyone recommend a specific place to go to?

Thanks.
Why not set your sights a little higher? Finish up the degree, get some internship experience, then move to California (is that northern or southern?) and look for a professional job. If that doesn't work then go back home. In the meantime, keep up the music and writing-- as a hobby. It's good to have hobbies. Just don't quit your day job.

Old 05-24-2010, 10:36 PM

425 posts, read 1,955,119 times
Quote:
Thanks for the responses. I have not visited California. California may not be going anywhere, but my concern is that if I stay in the position I'm 24 and not getting any younger.

Perhaps I should stay in school and ask what if.
Then maybe you should consider visiting first. Imagine how much it would suck if you dropped out and just moved out here only to find that you don't like it. Whatever issues you are having, California is NOT going to fix them for you.

Old 05-26-2010, 11:37 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,740,718 times
Finish your degree,even if you end up working in in another field. Employers don't like to hire quitters or dropouts.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:50 PM

6,819 posts, read 9,055,774 times
Quote:
With that said, am I still crazy to trek across the US to Cali without any prospects lined up? Does anyone have any positive encouragement for me? Does anyone recommend a specific place to go to?
How long will you have to finish your graduate degree? A semester, a year? Exactly what kind of education is it in?

Like the others I kind of say "finish your degree", "stay where you are" but with some caveats. I do think that what you're talking about: writing and video editing etc can literally be done from anywhere. Look at all the online bloggers who build a following and create a brand. Look at all the folks on Youtube creating occasionally really good material. You could be doing the same without moving all the way to California.

It is possible to follow your dream and have it work out. I was working on my BS degree at a state school in PA. A friend of mine went to Chicago and I decided to go with him. It was the best decision I ever made in my life. I made $400/week as a typist and was going to school at night. I had a basement apartment that was essentially an unheated closet. At one point I stayed in a place that was even worse, in the middle of winter. It took me a long time to get a better place because I was paying for school and trying to live in a very expensive city. It wasn't always that bad for me, but it was rough the first few years.

I also know what it's like to have a graduate degree and feel like it's worthless. Right now the economy is making us question everything about our education. That's not a reason to give up on what we've done. If you are close to completing your degree, don't through away alll that effort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California