U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-26-2010, 11:00 PM

4,815 posts, read 5,679,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Oh, I'm just so crushed! You seem to be avoiding the question. What about Chicago is better than Los Angeles? And why don't people on the Illinois forum ask why people are jealous of Illinois? The answer, of-course is probably something you'd rather not know. I'll give you a hint: nobody is jealous of your state because aside from Chicago you state is super boring!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2010, 11:03 PM

7,413 posts, read 3,485,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy19 View Post
what are you talking about? and why the hell are you bringing me into this discussion with someone else? I am so tired of this topic. i wish the moderator would just lock it. I am tired of arguing, making a good point and then getting critisized.
Drover would do himself and the California forum a favor by bowing out graciously and going back to Illinois. But sadly we are accustom to out-of-state haters and they invariably come from Chicago.

Old 06-26-2010, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Drover would do himself and the California forum a favor by bowing out graciously and going back to Illinois. But sadly we are accustom to out-of-state haters and they invariably come from Chicago.
Chicago is pretty much the only thing Illinois has going for it...lol

Old 06-26-2010, 11:20 PM

7,413 posts, read 3,485,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy19 View Post
Chicago is pretty much the only thing Illinois has going for it...lol
And that's not saying much! Chicago routinely gets bashed on the City vs City forum [I guess some Illinois posters decided to spread their hate in the California forum].

Old 06-27-2010, 12:55 AM

^ lol!

well now over on the city vs city board, people are bashing california. it's so annoying.

Old 06-27-2010, 12:55 AM

7,508 posts, read 14,642,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
Staying on point, I think it might be safe to say that many younger people are jealous of CA.
Hmmmm.....yes and no. Most of the young people that I come across seem to have this notion that California is one huge beach, that you'll run into movie stars on a daily basis, that everyone is rich and famous (or will soon be after stepping foot in-state), that the weather is perfect year round, blah blah blah. Incidentally, most of these ideas come television shows: The OC, BH 90210, Melrose Place, et. al. I've worked with people who gave California a try, only to return when it didn't live up to their expectations. You might be surprised at the number of young people who take pride in where they are from.

When I lived in Minneapolis, for example, the people I hung out with had such pride with being from that state, or North Dakota, or Wisconsin, etc. that it made my head spin. Yeah, they may have wished for 'better' weather for a longer portion of the year, but they definitely took pride in being able to endure such harsh conditions and they definitely did not cower at the sight of drizzle. Living there really bummed me out because none of my so-called hardcore California friends would come out to visit me. It was either too humid in the summer or too cold in the winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Seriously, I didn't know that about Idaho either..Wow. I know they are conservative, but didn't know they were out there somewhere..
Funny, I never lived in Idaho, nor am I into white power or celebrating Hitler's birthday, yet I know this of Idaho -and so do most of my friends. I just assumed that it was common knowledge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Sure thing. The condescending superiority attitude displayed by caliguy19 is a common sentiment expressed by many Californians. It's not enough to just like California, but they have to go on and put other places down. It's the West Coast version of NYC-centrism. This is a big part of why California gets the kind of scrutiny it does. A similar, perhaps related, reason is Californians' legendary propensity to move to a different state and make spectacular boors and asses of themselves.
Exactly. I can attest that you hit the nail on the head with this one. I will always refer to California as the Mother Land, and I am California through and through, but it is hard to shake that Californian attitude. I've mellowed out over the years with it, but when I catch myself slipping, I make a conscious effort to 'be Californian'. Uh, let me rephrase, to be Nor Cal....hella tight for days an sh*t.

The thing is that Californians are taught Californian history as if it was the be-all, end-all, to American history. I know more about the Gold Rush, and Sutter's Fort, and Levi's, and the Donner Party, and the Great California Earthquake of 1906, and the railroads, and the Bear Flag Revolt, and, oh, the Oregon Trail, than I do about any other aspect of American history. I honestly believe that California First becomes ingrained into every child who goes through Californian Indoctrination.

But, I wouldn't have it any other way. Yeah, I am one of those ex-pats who has a California State Flag on my wall.

Quote:
What about Chicago is better than Los Angeles? And why don't people on the Illinois forum ask why people are jealous of Illinois? The answer, of-course is probably something you'd rather not know. I'll give you a hint: nobody is jealous of your state because aside from Chicago you state is super boring!
Chicago is a really fun place that in reality will offer everything that one can find in LA, within reason. While each city has its own nuances that make it 'different', they both have more in common with each other than differences.

Why would someone from Illinois ask why people are jealous of that state? Illinois in general is not that centric. Chicago, yes, but not the state as a whole. Your post here demonstrates the centric notion that those who were born and raised in California seem to have, that California is better than everywhere else in the US. California isn't the only state to be this way, though, but it is definitely in the minority.

To say that the entire state of Illinois is super boring is a very California thing to say, and might I add, based solely on personal opinion. Let me break it to you, there are plenty of people who live in Illinois who think that it is just fine as it is. But let me guess, you are either going to think that they must be old, or boring, too?

Old 06-27-2010, 12:58 AM

MODERATOR: please lock thread!

Old 06-27-2010, 08:04 AM

1,733 posts, read 2,124,487 times
Wow ! You California folks really ARE an arrogant bunch . And you don't take criticism well .

Old 06-27-2010, 09:21 AM

I do take it well. I'm just tired of ignorant hicks coming in here thinking they know everything and then trying to bring everyone down. it's like all these out of staters just scout out threads about california just to bash. grow up. I understand people don't like it, but mostly everyone in here has done nothing but generalize the state and most of them have never even been here. That's why it's annoying.

Old 06-27-2010, 09:47 AM

28,115 posts, read 24,118,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
But there might be a whole lot of snobbery where you are, if you're any example!

By the way, I was stationed in Texas twice at two different Army forts. Two words: No thanks!
Yeah, army forts are kept in the best parts of town!

So much opinion. So little information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California