U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 02:30 AM

8,315 posts, read 10,086,209 times
Default California Traffic Fines To Increase | Traffic Violation

This effects all of ca but especially riverside & san bernardino counties. I tried telling some people but they didnt believe me. Well now they will. Bottom line is if you get any type of ticket in ca you are going to pay BIG time. Even if you jaywalk its gonna cost you a min of $100.00. Obey ALL laws & you should be fine. http://www.trafficviolationlawfirms.com/regional-content.cfm/state/ca/Article/120441/CaliforniaTraffic-FinesTo-Increase.html (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 05:41 AM

26,362 posts, read 54,254,978 times
Right on. Let the violators aid the budget fight.

Start busting the truckers sleeping in the "Emergency Parking Only" shoulders of freeways.
Make the carpool lane "Two Licensed Drivers" instead of "Two Occupants" (kids shouldn't count as a second occupant for carpooling for example)
How about $50 per MPH over the speed limit for speeding?

Old 06-02-2010, 06:49 AM

206 posts, read 232,416 times
If I am not mistaken, I think common offenses like speeding are considered infractions-not misdemeanors? But yes the courts can add their costs on top of the state set prices. All though now with all the courts closing, I wonder how this is going to be affected?

In principal, I am strongly opposed to this. If you do a crime, you pay. But the punishment should fit the crime, not the requirements of the state budget? Nowadays the politicians are not even hiding their true reason and spouting the gibberish of safety. When I lived in the bay area, San Francisco was facing a budget crisis and they raised paking tickets-no safety reasons, no it is impeding the flow of traffic, just an oh we have a budget hole so we are raising parking tickets. In AZ when former gov Napolitano introduced the photo radar on highways, she had already estimated that it would bring in $100 million to fill her budget deficit. In the recent budget crisis our terminator wanted to add speeding cameras in exisiting red light cameras all over the state. The budget office already estimated how much it would bring in-not the traffic division-but the budget division.

I think this utter disregard for even pretending to be concerned for safety can be a dangerous precedent. The crime must fit the punishment. If parking in the city is causing accidents or major inconvenience and you raise the fines-fine. But it is not good when you raise them for budget deficits. Same thing with speeding and court cases. Because now no one will believe that any of these laws are there for our protection. There is a thin line between govt enforcing laws and collecting fines and highway robbery. The former is about checks and balances and the greater good and a fine/jail commensurate with the crime to deter future offenders. The latter is to fill your coffers if you need more money.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:47 AM

1,850 posts, read 1,872,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post

Start busting the truckers sleeping in the "Emergency Parking Only" shoulders of freeways.
?
As a CDL-A holder myself, I often wondered why many a driver were too lazy to find a large, open on/off ramp clearing to park in if the truckstops were too far away or full.

Old 06-02-2010, 10:27 AM

2,739 posts, read 3,397,981 times
Quote:

Make the carpool lane "Two Licensed Drivers" instead of "Two Occupants" (kids shouldn't count as a second occupant for carpooling for example)
Your ideas are always so over the top and unrealistic. I WISH CHP would crack down on carpool lane usage when I see about half of the people driving solo but its seems like they don't care much about that.

Quite honestly, I think a better way to "gain income" would be take ownership of vehicles driven by people with no or suspensed licenses IF they are also the owner. If the owner doesn't have insurance, I think that should be a higher fee. Everyone speeds on the freeway but not having proper docs and knowing you don't when driving is a decision made well before getting into a vehicle.

Old 06-02-2010, 10:42 AM

37,714 posts, read 11,702,802 times
Quote:

Old 06-02-2010, 01:32 PM

26,362 posts, read 54,254,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
Your ideas are always so over the top and unrealistic.

Old 06-02-2010, 05:23 PM

65 posts, read 183,081 times
That's an old article, and jaywalking tickets are a lot higher than $100 already. I received a ticket for walking against a "stop hand" a couple of months ago and it was $178.

Old 06-02-2010, 06:40 PM

16,587 posts, read 19,718,961 times
Quote:
This makes too much sense for it ever to be adopted. Goddam soccer moms with their brats shouldn't get whatever benefit the HOV lane offers.

Old 06-02-2010, 07:36 PM

8,315 posts, read 10,086,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc251dc View Post
That's an old article, and jaywalking tickets are a lot higher than $100 already. I received a ticket for walking against a "stop hand" a couple of months ago and it was $178.
Back in the early 80s i got a jaywalking ticket in lA. My fine was $12.00. Greed is alive & well in taxifornia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California