Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 01:31 PM

137 posts, read 327,734 times

Advertisements

I'm sick of California banning this and that. Now we have SmartMeters on our houses to regulate our use of heat and air. That's why I'm moving, even tho I've lived here all my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 02:32 PM

2,511 posts, read 6,295,937 times
SmartMeters have nothing to do with California. They don't regulate the use of heating and air conditioning. Chances are utilities across the country are going to charge higher rates for people who use an excessive amount of electricity during peak hours.

Old 06-13-2010, 04:15 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,274,555 times
um, yeah, the SmartMeters just measure the amount being used more accurately, and allow meter readers to read remotely instead of having to tromp around your yard to take a reading...that's becoming a side trip to Crazy Town.

And yes, in many ways population control is a critical issue...the main issue with that is, who decides who should get to breed? That and certain folks get very upset about teaching or providing birth control or abortion. Often, these are the same folks who get upset about people having too many kids. Which makes about as much sense as a social Darwinist who doesn't think evolution should be taught in schools, but for some reason that seems like a common combination too...

Old 06-13-2010, 08:54 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by think first View Post
California is poised to become the first state in the nation to ban plastic shopping bags, a move hailed by environmentalists and grocers alike.The state Senate approved the ban on Friday, sending it to Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger's office for his signature.
Schwarzenegger praised the bill's passage, calling it "a great victory for our environment."

California poised to ban plastic bags - Environment- msnbc.com

Good for California. Damn things break all the time anyway. Plastic water bottles should be banned as well.

Not that long ago in NYC a blind test was done on bottled water. Some of the most popular bottled waters were involved as well as NYC tap water.

And which water did most choose? Yep, the tap water. Most of your bottled water is nothing but filtered tap water so go buy yourself a PUR (or some other) water filter and save yourself some money and the environment your litter.
I see their point, but I'm also annoyed by the whole thing. With all the problems we have right now, this should not even be on the agenda.

I use my platic bags for trash bags. So now I'll have to go out & buy them at the store. Great . It's a good thing I've been hoarding them.

I wonder if the real agenda isn't more about controlling every aspect of peoples' lives.

That said, I must admit there are big trash islands in the oceans, and we do need to take steps to do something about them. This is a reasonable first step.

trash islands in ocean - Google Search

Old 06-13-2010, 08:59 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
um, yeah, the SmartMeters just measure the amount being used more accurately, and allow meter readers to read remotely instead of having to tromp around your yard to take a reading...that's becoming a side trip to Crazy Town.

If you don't think the meters are going to be used to jack up rates during the hottest part of the day, you're dreaming. Just wait till more old people start dying of heat exhaustion in the summer because they wouldn't pay the $0.75/KwH it'll cost to run the AC in the afternoon.

Old 06-14-2010, 02:00 AM

2,511 posts, read 6,295,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I see their point, but I'm also annoyed by the whole thing. With all the problems we have right now, this should not even be on the agenda.

I use my platic bags for trash bags. So now I'll have to go out & buy them at the store. Great . It's a good thing I've been hoarding them.

I wonder if the real agenda isn't more about controlling every aspect of peoples' lives.
Just remember, it is for the common good!

I do think there is a strong element of the left that is trying to see how far they can go with controlling us.

Old 06-14-2010, 02:09 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
This legislation has been brought to you by the makers of plastic trashbags...who now have you in their overpriced clutches.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:07 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,208,139 times
Well, it looks like those of us who objected to this proposed legislation had a good day:

Another effort in California to ban plastic bags failed in the Legislature late Tuesday night.

That measure, AB 1998, passed the Assembly in June and had the support of Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger but faced a withering and well-financed advertising and lobbying campaign from the plastic bag manufacturing industry.

Plastic bag ban fizzles again in California amid heavy industry lobbying. What do you think? | L.A. NOW | Los Angeles Times

Even if you support banning plastic bags (I don't), you have to really find it odd that the LA Times phrased the story in this manner. Basically, it comes off as an "obvious wise move" that was stopped by "those greedy fat cats".

Sheesh.

Old 09-01-2010, 02:13 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
A. Common sense prevails.

B. LAT = no surprise.

Old 09-01-2010, 03:18 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,792,261 times
meh, this issue is insignificant, good thing the media didn't waste too much energy of this. They need all the energy they can to make slander the candidates running for governor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California