Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 09:10 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,865,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
I do own guns (handguns and rifles) and the main reason I own them is to shoot paper targets at a local shooting range, and hunting. It's a hobby and yes, I do keep a gun with me just in case there's ever a need to defend myself and those I love and care about.

As everyone else here said, there's a much better chance of getting involved in a car accident because of somebody making a mistake than being the victim of a crime. If you're a law-abiding citizen and don't have any desire to go into illegal activities, like drug dealing or getting involved with gangs, then you won't have anything to worry about.

You have to remember also that man has been killing man ever since the beginning of time, long before guns were invented, so the inherently evil nature of criminals is not dictated by what kind of weapons they're able to get their hands on. Criminals do break laws and no matter how many laws you pass to keep weapons out of their hands, they'll break them, and the only people those laws will affect are decent citizens.
Amen to that brother. You also need guns to keep the government in check or else they would be able to do whatever the hell they want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2007, 03:15 AM

38 posts, read 151,055 times
On the whole CA has much less people walking around armed than most states which means you have less chance of being shot in an argument over a parking space. But this is America guns are everywhere.
If you dont like guns move to England few legal guns but still plenty of crime and plenty of shootings.
I moved from England to CA very few people have CCW Permits compared to other states which I think is a bad thing if you travel around it is too easy to get robbed.
I have a shotgun in my house and I hope I never have to use it but I will in need be.

Old 06-20-2007, 10:14 AM

2,404 posts, read 3,947,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NurseCher View Post
I am curious about the prevelance of guns and gang activity in that area...
I can comment:

I grew up outside of the District of Columbia. Gun are illegal in the district. Guess what? Washington, D.C. in the early 1990s was known as the murder capital of the United States. Homicides peaked in 1991 at 482*. As the population of the city was just over 600,000 at that time, this meant that the District's homicide rate was 81 per 100,000 inhabitants. Gun prohibition did not work in DC, there is still gun violence in the UK; Gun prohibition does not work. *District of Columbia Crime Rates 1960 - 2005

Nationally, if you look at the neighborhoods with high murder rates you will see a few trends: general lack of community/lack of community involvment, high birth rates, low education.

Avoid these neighborhoods. Tell tale signs of these types of neighborhoods are an over abundance of graffiti, broken windows and trash, especially if the public trash can is empty and there is filth all around it.

I'm urban (by self definition a city kid) and have shady friends. Shady vs non-shady. My non-shady friends who do not cruise around trying to score sacks of anything, do not get jumped, robbed, or mugged. My non-shady friends who do not start fights at bars, who do not escalate things, do not run their mouths, do not have guns pulled on them. My non-shady friends who do not wander home drunk at 3am, do not get beat up randomly.

On the contary, my shady friends, they invite all sorts of misfortune into their lives. Mind you business, keep your nose clean, and do not run your mouth, I cannot emphasize more - do not run your mouth/don't escalate things; you'll be golden with no worries.

So to answer your question, are there more random violent crimes...
No, so long as you adhere to the criteria/advice above.

Old 06-20-2007, 11:11 AM

2,896 posts, read 6,633,993 times
good news mossomo:

Court Overturns DC Gun Ban -- 03/09/2007 (http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewNation.asp?Page=/Nation/archive/200703/NAT20070309d.html - broken link)

sad story but a good life lesson:

American Chronicle: Guns, Tears, Tragedy and Change

Last edited by da jammer; 06-20-2007 at 12:45 PM..

Old 06-20-2007, 11:42 AM

138 posts, read 544,742 times
Default Do you like California?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NurseCher View Post
Im a Canadian and I plan on relocating to California, probably Orange County area. I am curious about the prevelance of guns and gang activity in that area, and all of California as a whole. Is it farily noticable? Where im from, if you get shot/ stabbed you usually werent "minding your own business when I just got jumped!". You were probably doing something you shouldnt have been doing. Are there more random violent crimes in California or is it mostly restricted to gangs or drug related issues? Ive also heard that most Americans own a gun. Living in Canada, I would not have even considered the need for a gun unless your a farmer or hunter. I just dont understand the mindset that many americans have about the right to own a gun. Ive been to shooting ranges a few times and target practice was fun, but when I had a handgun in my hand, I thought it was totally pointless. Why on earth would I ever need to buy one? I think most Canadians are on the same page. I dont know many people who own guns, and if they do its for hunting purposes. What are your opinions on this matter, and do most Americans own handguns, and keep them on themselves most of the time?

I am just curious. Your post seemed somewhat negative about the mindset of Americans. Are you sure you even want to move here?

Old 06-20-2007, 11:51 AM

163 posts, read 773,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Baugh View Post
On the whole CA has much less people walking around armed than most states which means you have less chance of being shot in an argument over a parking space.
Come on....we both know that just doesn't happen. More armed (legally) people does NOT = more people getting shot over silly things like parking spaces or road rage...or whatever.

Anyway, agree with the rest of your post

Old 06-20-2007, 12:07 PM

25 posts, read 134,045 times
Boy all the good stuff has been said already! I'm with everyone else on this. Mr. Canadian, it doesn't matter where you live (Canada or California) the fact is, evil people are out there and they're not going anywhere, just turn the news on. I'm not from this country but I sure abide by the rules, have become a U.S. Citizen and have "peace of mind" knowing that I have the right to bear arms. In time of crisis, I want to have options.

Old 06-20-2007, 07:50 PM

2,404 posts, read 3,947,765 times
Quote:
Court Overturns DC Gun Ban
I snoozed thru that one, been in philly for the last five; but good, god bless our capital.

Quote:
American Chronicle: Guns, Tears, Tragedy and Change
With best intentions, I break it down: Random acts of violence are to be expected, they do occur, society as a whole cannot escape this, it is natural phenomena, everyone needs and should understand this as it is a scientific, statistical fact!!!

If you plot all activities that humans perform on a bell curve, you will find a very-very-very small percentage of engaged activity that falls outside the average curve of what typical humans participate, ie murder, rape, bestiality, winning the lottery. With a normal sample of society, you'll not find many who participate in these activites. But they do occur, undeniably. Statistician's call these events extraneous outliers. Extraneous outliers cause the bell curve to skew and is what causes the extremes of the curve to flatten.

Much love.

Old 06-20-2007, 08:30 PM

2,896 posts, read 6,633,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mossomo View Post
With best intentions, I break it down: Random acts of violence are to be expected, they do occur, society as a whole cannot escape this, it is natural phenomena, everyone needs and should understand this as it is a scientific, statistical fact!!!

If you plot all activities that humans perform on a bell curve, you will find a very-very-very small percentage of engaged activity that falls outside the average curve of what typical humans participate, ie murder, rape, bestiality, winning the lottery. With a normal sample of society, you'll not find many who participate in these activites. But they do occur, undeniably. Statistician's call these events extraneous outliers. Extraneous outliers cause the bell curve to skew and is what causes the extremes of the curve to flatten.

Much love.
I'm gonna break it down in a bit simpler fashion....better to have it and not ever need it than to desperately need it and wish to heck you had it. Stay tough, stay focused and do not become a statistic folks!!

Old 06-21-2007, 10:11 AM

124 posts, read 449,889 times
You will find that Americans, mainly because of popular mythology (cowboy movies, Dirty Harry movies, etc.), have a totally irrational obsession with firearms. Statistics show that households where guns are kept are indeed more likely to be victimized by them, yet most gunowners will argue to the death that they are somehow safer with their weapons at their sides. In my 40 some odd years, I've lived in crime-ridden neighborhoods, safe neighborhoods and everything in between without ever owning a gun and without ever being victimized by a violent crime. Your brain is your most important weapon against crime.

If everyone owning guns made nations safer, Iraq would be the safest nation in the world today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California