U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 09:55 AM

28,208 posts, read 47,606,329 times

Advertisements

My local car dealers are selling these FEMA trailers and wondering if they safe to live in because of the high levels of levels of formaldehyde far in excess of federal limits.

News, Banned Trailers Return for Latest Gulf Disaster

VENICE, La. — In the wake of Hurricane Katrina, they became a symbol of the government’s inept response to that disaster: the 120,000 or so trailers provided by the Federal Emergency Management Agency to people who had lost their homes.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/01/us...s.html?_r=2&hp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2010, 01:04 PM

12,439 posts, read 31,498,367 times
As a camper I would say they were safe. What the Article Said was they were NOT safe for Long Term 24/7 use. I for 1 would love to get 1.....What prices is he asking?

Old 07-02-2010, 07:20 PM

9,416 posts, read 17,388,691 times
All campers have it, and I'd guess that after 5 years those are safer than most any new ones. I don't have a sense of smell, but when we bought our current camper in 2006, the smell was so strong it made my eyes water after a few minutes. We left the windows open whenever possible, and I think it was fine after the first year or two went by.

I believe formaldehyde is present in most furniture, carpet, upholstery, etc. I don't think I'd worry too much about formaldehyde in a camper 5 years old. But I'm not an expert either....

Old 07-02-2010, 11:33 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,555 posts, read 39,934,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
All campers have it, and I'd guess that after 5 years those are safer than most any new ones. ...We left the windows open whenever possible, and I think it was fine after the first year or two went by.
Leaving the windows open in WY for one yr is the equivalent of 10 yrs air exchange in LA.

I can't imagine there is anything different about a FEMA model. They all stink and give you headaches.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:49 AM

11,941 posts, read 12,831,039 times
Every new trailer I've had was the same way. I think the media was making way to much of it.

Old 07-21-2010, 11:07 AM

1,667 posts, read 8,377,322 times
As for the smell of glue and formaldehyde, that will fade. What you should check on these trailers is that they really aren't built for self-sufficiency. They generally don't have holding tanks or top grade anything. They are for emergency use. Instead of paying $3000 for one of these, and then having to upgrade it with plumbing, tires, and amentities, buy a used travel camper. I'd buy a FEMA for a hunt-camp trailer that I wasn't worried about being broken into or washed away. That would be perfect. Otherwise, you get what you pay for.

Old 07-21-2010, 06:30 PM

12,439 posts, read 31,498,367 times
I guess that means they are more like Park Models.... Still want one LOL

Old 07-21-2010, 07:46 PM

2,192 posts, read 6,224,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Leaving the windows open in WY for one yr is the equivalent of 10 yrs air exchange in LA.
You have information to back that statement up?

You do know that Louisiana has one of only three ozone belts in the world just north of New Orleans?

"The location of St. Tammany Parish in one of the world’s three ozone belts (the other two are in Arizona and Germany’s Hartz mountains) was a major draw, and the artesian wells of its towns were credited with legendary healing powers. That same water is now the key ingredient in two thriving local products, Abita Springs Water and Abita Beer. Your love is sure to flourish on the fresh air and natural beauty as you explore the quaint country architecture, shops, and restaurants."

Over the Lake: Sunday Afternoon on the North Shore | Mandeville Louisiana | Trails.com

"Covington is situated between the Bogue Falaya and Tchefuncte Rivers and serves as the Parish's finance, government, commercial and cultural center. Because Covington is in a region referred to as the Ozone Belt, it has long been known for its clean air and water."
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

busta

Last edited by Yac; 10-22-2010 at 04:52 AM..

Old 07-21-2010, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
My local car dealers are selling these FEMA trailers and wondering if they safe to live in because of the high levels of levels of formaldehyde far in excess of federal limits.

News, Banned Trailers Return for Latest Gulf Disaster

VENICE, La. — In the wake of Hurricane Katrina, they became a symbol of the government’s inept response to that disaster: the 120,000 or so trailers provided by the Federal Emergency Management Agency to people who had lost their homes.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/01/us...s.html?_r=2&hp

Nothing to worry about as other posters said, just air it out before using.

This all came about because of a few lawyers jumping on the happy law suite band wagon.

busta

Old 07-21-2010, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESFP View Post
As for the smell of glue and formaldehyde, that will fade. What you should check on these trailers is that they really aren't built for self-sufficiency. They generally don't have holding tanks or top grade anything. They are for emergency use. Instead of paying $3000 for one of these, and then having to upgrade it with plumbing, tires, and amentities, buy a used travel camper. I'd buy a FEMA for a hunt-camp trailer that I wasn't worried about being broken into or washed away. That would be perfect. Otherwise, you get what you pay for.

This is not completely true. Some FEMA trailers are as you described but some were true travel trailers. It all depends on who was the manufacture and supplier at the time.

The first trailers were supplied by the travel trailer companies. As supplies became low, more companies got into the business and FEMA didn't require them to be built as travel trailers, just as temporary homes.

If you notice the pic from the OP. The trailer in the foreground is a trailer built for FEMA. The trailer in the background is a true travel trailer and was one of the first supplied to FEMA.

busta

Edited to say that the reporter (Ian Urbina) needs to do his homework before saying this below his pic because it's not true, "A FEMA trailer at Bud's Boat Rentals in Belle Chasse, La., with a non-FEMA trailer behind it."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing