U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 08:01 PM

19,200 posts, read 8,988,607 times

Advertisements

Our boat, full of EVERYTHING my in laws had in their 5th wheel camper. (Wind storm rolled it over, pushing the power post thru the side. My MIl & her father were in the camper, when the storm hit.)
The camper was towed (towing service) to a secured area of the Army Corps campground, and everything inside needed to be brought home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 08:39 PM

8,093 posts, read 13,231,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacq63 View Post
It started raining mid-afternoon, becoming more and more torrential. We had no choice but to fasten the tent shut, including the windows, at about 6pm. Then the battery for the reading lamp (our only source of light) went flat.
It stormed heavily all night. It was a night of dozing, waking in inky darkness to the sound of the downpour hoping the next time I woke it'd be at least gray. Ninety acres of land and we're stranded in this damn tent for 12 hours. The longest night of my life.
I'm surprised you didn't start to float ...

Old 07-27-2010, 04:45 AM

3,031 posts, read 5,298,055 times
About to turn in but was reminded of something that happened which does fit within the parameters of 'strange'.

We were on a pre-downpour camping trip on our land in October. This land is in the middle of nowhere, no sealed roads for many miles and the road leading to the land is rough going to say the least. So we're sitting outside the tent enjoying the balmy spring night when we see a light careening down the road to the property.
"Some dingbat is riding a bike on our ROAD"! screamed I.
The light didn't slow, then did a sharp left turn and headed straight for us. WTF???

And that, folks, was our first experience with a firefly. They put on a wonderful show that time of year we've discovered.

Old 07-27-2010, 10:06 AM

9,417 posts, read 17,391,848 times
A couple friends and I were fishing/hunting/camping from our small boat near Whittier, AK in the Prince William Sound. We came upon a very small island with a nice beach and decided it would make a great camping spot.

It was low tide, so we had to use all of the 100-foot rope to tie the boat to a large log lying on the beach and pack our camping gear a good ways to set up above the high-water mark.

All went great until about dawn. That's when we heard water lapping at the tent door. The log we'd used to anchor the boat was under several feet of very cold salt water and the boat was floating WAY OUT THERE!

Alaska gets some very high tides. This one must have been unusually high -- probably 30 feet. We enjoyed a good breakfast as the water moved back out and we were again able to get to the log, grab the rope and pull the boat back to shore.

Old 07-27-2010, 10:29 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,569 posts, read 39,944,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
Alaska gets some very high tides. .
we moved into an old cabin on an island in BC and had the same experience

The water was far from the cabin when we moved in (late afternoon) ... till about 3AM when it was lapping at the foundation, I figured the place had survived many yrs, so must be safe, but a lot of the stuff we left outside was gone.

This was a special place for this farm kid to spend several months after living in Singapore (6million people).

The eagles would sit on the outdoor deck rail and taunt the cat who was safely inside. Eagles would also steal your salmon if you left it on the dock while putting the outboard motor away.

Old 07-28-2010, 07:23 PM

4,925 posts, read 9,779,253 times
Backpacking the Pacific Crest Trail in Washington...met a guy hiking the trail...I think. He didn't have a backpack. He had a couple of suitcases and a cooler. He'd walk a ways, set the cooler down, backtrack, pick up the suitcases carry them past the cooler, set them down, backtrack back to the cooler, and repeat. Frequently.

I thought I'd seen something really unique, and that guy was just really doing a one-time thing. I found on another forum, one dedicated to hiking in the Pacific Northwest, an extensive thread about this guy where he has been sighted by numerous hikers over more than one year. No one seems to know who he is or why he does it that way.

I'll have to add others when I have time. After over 50 years backpacking, camping, etc., I've run across a few odd things....but mostly pretty cool things.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:00 AM

5,371 posts, read 9,862,107 times
Bear Story—A True Camping Tale

My DH and I, along with another couple, Chuck and Katie, had been back-packing in Yosemite Natl. Park. We toiled our way up to little Yosemite Valley, a pretty little valley only reached by foot, horse or mule..A small camping site was there, with room for maybe a half-dozen back-packer tents. No amenities...just some level ground for pitching a few tents.

After we set up our tents, built a fire, made our dinner, and were sitting around the fire, drinking a night cap, when a Ranger came by and warned us to “”tree” our food as bears had been coming around the camp sites scrounging for food.

“They'll rip your backpack right open if you leave any food in it. They're not scared of humans one bit,” he told us.

We felt smug. We'd already strung up our food supplies high in the tree branches, so we felt secure What we'd neglected to do, though, was to wash our pot and pan from dinner. As night fell, darker and darker, lit only by a million stars and our dying campfire, along came Mama Bear and her half-grown cub. They, despite our shouting, merely picked up our pot and pan in their mitts and proceeded to lick them clean...then they moved onto the next camp site. We heard the other campers yelling and banging on pots and pans to scare them away.

The bears terrified me, I have to tell you, I was scared **itless. Bears, in the wild, with nothing between you and them are big. Huge. Wanted to run...my husband kept me from doing that. Just the previous week there had been a newspaper article about a woman being dragged from her tent by a Grizzly in Jackson Hole and partially devoured. Horrifying. In searching for her the next morning, the searchers first came upon her ear, then a chewed upon arm... So that was on my mind., even though the Yosemite bears were not Grizzlies—they were Big Enough. And much on my mind. I wanted to keep all my body parts intact.

So we went to bed. Nothing else to do. Nowhere to run. Nowhere to hide. My DH, bless his heart, went right to sleep with nary a care. Me, listening to his snores, lay rigid in my sleeping bag, hearing every snap of a twig, every rustle in the brush of every scurrying creature. Then, after a half hour or so, I began to hear what I'd feared most..the snorting and snufflings of bear! Close at hand. Very close at hand. I shook DH awake. “Wha...?” he said, groggily.

“Listen,” I said, my voice quavering, “what's that noise?”

DH listened. “Sounds like a bear” and he turned over, ready to go back to sleep. I shook him again. “Well aren't you going to do something?”

“What do you want me to do? We've got no weapons, no spray. All I've got is a Swiss Army knife. Don't worry about it... Go back to sleep.”

As though I'd been sleeping. So I lay in my sleeping bag, in my tent, very far from home, with snufflings so close at hand. I pictured my gnawed body parts being strewn all through the Sierra.

Eventually things settled down, the sounds quieted. But could I sleep? Could you—with death staring you in the face, only a few millimeters of nylon between you and the lethal claws and teeth or a marauding bear??

All night I lay there, hyper-alert, listening, waiting. Finally, finally, the first light of dawn came and with my bladder full to bursting, I unzipped the tent's zipper to access the bushes for relief.. I had to pee so badly.

Guess what? There, not 20 feet away from me, was a Bear! It looked at me, I looked at it...I screamed. It snorted and turned... and went scuttling off as fast as its roly-poly body and fat legs could carry it.

OMG, my heart almost pooped through my chest, it was beating so fast and hard.

Later, as the four of us were drinking our camp fire brewed morning cup of Joe, I asked the other couple, “So, did you hear the bear last night?”

They looked at each other, and said, “What bear?”

I said, “you mean you didn't hear it right after we went to bed?”

They looked at each other, and said, “Right after we turned in?? Oh, that wasn't a bear.”

“What do you mean it wasn't a bear? “'Course it was! It was loud. Snoring, snuffling...”

“No,” said my friend, Katie..”that wasn't a bear. It was us...we were making love. Sorry if we kept you up.”

“OH!”

-the end-
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing