U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 04:53 PM

6,076 posts, read 11,030,398 times

Advertisements

What was the strangest thing that ever happened to you while camping? Funny and not so funny, let us know. And pictures are more than welcome, if you have any to share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 07:04 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,994,261 times
Getting locked out of my A-Liner... TWICE on one trip.

The A-Liners used to have a design flaw involving the inside door security lock. In addition to the outside lock, they had two forms of lock you could use to lock yourself inside - the deadbolt, and a separate switch lock. Well, we didn't know this at the time, but a lot of A-Liner owners were "discovering" (heh) that you could lock yourself out of the trailer if you accidentally shut the door with the inside security switch lock engaged. No, your outside door key would NOT work under this circumstance. You'd be locked out.

Well, the first time this happened, we managed to slice open the screen on the door, and with someone peering thru the other side of the trailer windows, shouting/screaming directions/encouragement/curses toward the other person fishing around the tiny switch lock with a metal implement (I think it was a hot dog skewer)... got the inner lock open. WHEW! Of course, the whole campsite heard the commotion.

The very next day... someone did it AGAIN. Left the inner lock engaged, and shut the door.

As Homer Simpson would say... "D'OHHHH!"

more screaming, shouting, fishing ensued... and the whole campsite heard that too. :-)

Needless to say... Columbia Northwest (maker of the A-Liner) has fixed that little problem on subsequent models. (Turns out it was sort of a rite of passage that A-Liner owners mostly all went through!)

I have not had too many strange things happen to me while camping. STUPID things, but not strange things. I could fill a topic called "Stupid Camping Tricks - Don't Try This at Home"!

Old 07-14-2010, 10:35 PM

8,093 posts, read 13,257,642 times
No RV, no tent, no pick-up bed. And this story is why I will never sleep without one of them again!

We were in an established campground. Girls weekend out. Party!

I had one of those short-legged cots that gets you about 6 inches off the ground. Went to sleep with my glasses on because I could see the stars!! I was in heaven.

Until I got woke up before dawn. It was gray. Trees were dripping. The birds weren't even chirping. I had been sleeping on my back, and

something
was
climbing
onto
my
cot.
On top of me.
Something that was huffing.

Gods.

I squinted thru my eyes, and this huge dog was making itself comfortable. On my sleeping bag. On me.

Have you ever tried to wake up your camp mates without scaring an Irish Wolfhound that is stretched out on top of you? Whose mouth is about 6 inches from yours?

After about 10 minutes of thinking ohmygodimgonnadie, there was a whistle from who-knows-where. Then my camp mates woke up in time to see the dog (pony!) slowly get up and trot off.

I can laugh about it 30 years later, but then? Oh, lordy!

Old 07-18-2010, 05:43 PM

I think that next month when we go camping, I'm going to walk around and take pictures of so of the strangest things that people have at their camp sites. then I'll post them here on the Camping thread for all to laugh about.

Like some of them that I remember, a household window air conditioner unit that was placed on the top of a step ladder and pointed in toward the pop-ups screen. Or, the very large industrial fan at a tent campers site pointed toward the tents, "needless to say the park ranger told them they had to shut it off because of the loud noise it was making". My personal favorite, "three tents at a camp site and a really large stainless steel home barbecue grill in the middle of them".

Old 07-24-2010, 10:26 PM

11,436 posts, read 17,174,285 times
Many, many years ago I took off camping with my sister, a little food and sleeping bags, in the middle of the night my sister woke me up and said to quit snoring, I ignored her, pretty soon she woke me agian because my snoring was attracting a curious skunk, I opened my eyes to see a skunk staring back at be, lucky he went off without a spray, slept in the backseat of a 69 Mustang the rest of that night, ouch my aching back, good thing i was young.

Another time I was camping with my future in-laws, my future wife had little sisters so the scary stories just rolled out of me, I had them all sniffin and told them there was a graveyard over the hill and a ghost was coming up to look in the window, well right them some critter decided to run down the side of the tent and those girls were screaming like bloody murder, that was a fun trip.

Old 07-25-2010, 02:33 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,431,527 times
We were tent camping at the lake years ago. Come dark we started doing a little fishing for catfish. Something snagged my line and I set the hook and started reeling. I knew something didn't feel right. Usually when you're reeling in a fish there is an *electric* feeling on the line. My line felt dead. And heavy. And I'd reel and reel and then it would just >zing< back out again. It took a while, but I finally got it reeled in almost to shore. Only to find a BEAVER on my line! I'd snagged his tail! Have you ever thought about just HOW you were going to get a PO'd beaver off your line? Luckily my line finally broke *whew*!

Old 07-25-2010, 07:52 PM

16,411 posts, read 26,287,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
No RV, no tent, no pick-up bed. And this story is why I will never sleep without one of them again!

We were in an established campground. Girls weekend out. Party!

I had one of those short-legged cots that gets you about 6 inches off the ground. Went to sleep with my glasses on because I could see the stars!! I was in heaven.

Until I got woke up before dawn. It was gray. Trees were dripping. The birds weren't even chirping. I had been sleeping on my back, and

something
was
climbing
onto
my
cot.
On top of me.
Something that was huffing.

Gods.

I squinted thru my eyes, and this huge dog was making itself comfortable. On my sleeping bag. On me.

Have you ever tried to wake up your camp mates without scaring an Irish Wolfhound that is stretched out on top of you? Whose mouth is about 6 inches from yours?

After about 10 minutes of thinking ohmygodimgonnadie, there was a whistle from who-knows-where. Then my camp mates woke up in time to see the dog (pony!) slowly get up and trot off.

I can laugh about it 30 years later, but then? Oh, lordy!
you are good at writing (no sarcasm intended)

Old 07-26-2010, 06:18 PM

Kinda like reading a syory from the tales of the "Brother Grimm"

Old 07-26-2010, 06:45 PM

3,031 posts, read 5,304,438 times
Dunno about strange. In rural Australia you hear so many odd noises at night, you sort of lift the bar on 'strange'. Our last camping experience was on our land. It was the middle of summer, and we'd borrowed an 8 person tent from my SOs boss. (8 kinda small people I'm thinkin' but anyhoo....).

It started raining mid-afternoon, becoming more and more torrential. We had no choice but to fasten the tent shut, including the windows, at about 6pm. Then the battery for the reading lamp (our only source of light) went flat.
It stormed heavily all night. It was a night of dozing, waking in inky darkness to the sound of the downpour hoping the next time I woke it'd be at least gray. Ninety acres of land and we're stranded in this damn tent for 12 hours. The longest night of my life.

Old 07-26-2010, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacq63 View Post
Dunno about strange. In rural Australia you hear so many odd noises at night, you sort of lift the bar on 'strange'. Our last camping experience was on our land. It was the middle of summer, and we'd borrowed an 8 person tent from my SOs boss. (8 kinda small people I'm thinkin' but anyhoo....).

It started raining mid-afternoon, becoming more and more torrential. We had no choice but to fasten the tent shut, including the windows, at about 6pm. Then the battery for the reading lamp (our only source of light) went flat.
It stormed heavily all night. It was a night of dozing, waking in inky darkness to the sound of the downpour hoping the next time I woke it'd be at least gray. Ninety acres of land and we're stranded in this damn tent for 12 hours. The longest night of my life.
Oh believe me I know what your saying. I spent time in the land :"Down-Under" back in 1982 when I was stationed in Hawaii we flew into Perth and spent 30 days in the bush training with the Royal Australian Artillery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing