U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 09:25 AM

1,189 posts, read 1,514,273 times

Advertisements

You guys have been great!!! Stealthrabbit...I'm not as young as you may think...I'm 41 and hubby is 43. I'm just a newbie at this type of travelling and need major help here.

I think I will have lots more questions for you all but one I can think of right now is what do you do with your pets when you go sightseeing or go to some attractions? As I said we will have our dogs and cats with us. Are we able to run the air conditioner for them while we are out? I'd be afraid to leave any windows open for fear the cats might escape. Although I could always keep them in their carriers. I just don't want any of them to get overheated.

I will keep looking around for used RV's. I thought gas would be cheaper than diesel, is this not the case? If you all can direct me to some other sites I may not have found on my own that sell used RV's that would be great!

Last edited by Flamingomo; 07-29-2010 at 09:28 AM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 10:31 AM

1,477 posts, read 5,036,813 times
I think first what you need to do is decide what type of RV you want and then go from there, Each RV class is different and not everything we say will apply to each type of rv....Firgure out the class of RV you want and then how much you want to spend then our answers can come much easier to you.

Just the simple pet question you have can have a number of different answers depending on what type of unit you want or have and where you happen to be camping at the time

Old 07-29-2010, 12:10 PM

11,941 posts, read 12,835,677 times
We camp with two small dogs and I just leave them sleeping wile we go sightseeing or what ever. Leave the TV or radio on for back ground noise and they'll be fine. I always run either the a/c or heat which ever is needed.

Old 07-29-2010, 02:38 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,608 posts, read 39,974,527 times
For pets, You can run your generator which will power your AC (preferentially park WAY away from the place of interest, like at a nearby truckstop).

Often a couple fans will work. Many RV's have 2-way fans, so you can park in shade and run IN under shade and OUT on sunny side, providing a decent indoor temp.

There are lots of RV sales sites, I suggest you go to dealers FIRST, and try some different ones out, then frequent RV forums and ASK / observe, Spend time learning on sites like "escapees." THEN start looking (as mentioned with an adviser / professional) (late fall and dead of winter is a good time)

Rvtrader is pretty ez to search. I use Crazedlist to search ONLY 'non-rust-belt' regions. You can easily have an RV delivered by providing fuel and an ticket return. (of course screen your applicants... many retired EXPERIENCED folks to help you buy and relocate).

Diesel will presumably be more expensive than gas, but not always true (when Diesel prices spiked). Some folks can't deal with the smell / noise, so be sure you can. I was weaned on the smokestake of a tractor, so need a daily snort to get going.

Age is no barrier, I had my first RV age 17, tho was already well experienced driving farm semi, in interstate commerce (back in the dark ages).

Old 07-29-2010, 07:02 PM

1,477 posts, read 5,036,813 times
missed the part earlier about you looking for web sites that have units for sale....a good one to look at is RVUSA.com That can get you started and then you can check the price of a certain unit to see its average value using the online NADA price guide for RV's which will give you a pretty good starting point of its true value. The market is picking up but still has a way to go so even a coach in super nice condition is not going to bring much above low retail right now

Old 12-18-2010, 06:06 AM

6,076 posts, read 11,017,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
For pets, You can run your generator which will power your AC (preferentially park WAY away from the place of interest, like at a nearby truckstop).Often a couple fans will work. Many RV's have 2-way fans, so you can park in shade and run IN under shade and OUT on sunny side, providing a decent indoor temp.

There are lots of RV sales sites, I suggest you go to dealers FIRST, and try some different ones out, then frequent RV forums and ASK / observe, Spend time learning on sites like "escapees." THEN start looking (as mentioned with an adviser / professional) (late fall and dead of winter is a good time)

Rvtrader is pretty ez to search. I use Crazedlist to search ONLY 'non-rust-belt' regions. You can easily have an RV delivered by providing fuel and an ticket return. (of course screen your applicants... many retired EXPERIENCED folks to help you buy and relocate).

Diesel will presumably be more expensive than gas, but not always true (when Diesel prices spiked). Some folks can't deal with the smell / noise, so be sure you can. I was weaned on the smokestake of a tractor, so need a daily snort to get going.

Age is no barrier, I had my first RV age 17, tho was already well experienced driving farm semi, in interstate commerce (back in the dark ages).
Please just keep in mind to look for and watchout for signs at the truck stops that state, (Semi-truck parking only, no RV's or campers). Truck drivers need those spot to get their baddly needed rest.

Old 12-21-2010, 02:37 AM

34,389 posts, read 41,490,319 times
Be nice to get a recap of how the trip went once you get back, perhaps a list of pro's and con's..
I like camping but i like the simplicity of the experience like me the wife and a tent. doing it with the three kids and all the pets sounds like an expensive nightmare. When i'm traveling cross country with the kids its mini van.restaurants and motels.The pets could be a hassle on the trip as many places dont allow them and in the heat of the summer you cant leave them in the vehicle, be a real bummer to get excited about visiting an attraction only to be told you cant bring all your cats and dogs along.
Kids also get bored very easily and they dont do scenery very well,the majesty of the first site of the Rocky Mountains will hold their interest for about 30 seconds.
You may want to weigh the hassle and cost of doing this trip in an RV as opposed to boarding the animals and setting off in the Minivan..

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing