U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 10:00 PM

4,285 posts, read 14,425,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAugust View Post
all our models meet hud standards of no larger than 400 sq ft and no larger than 40ft - so in this case i dont think it would apply

NOW maybe in regard to modular homes? which is something totally different ...... you cant be taxed on a property where you don't own the land ... from what i understand
The rationale in Ontario as far as property taxes is concerned seems to be that the units themselves are wider than a legal vehicle and require a permit to move on the highways. The tax folks have successfully made the case that this changes them from vehicles (not taxable) to structures (taxable).

I only mentioned the property tax issue, CAugust, because it's been my experience that governments tend to constantly be searching for additional revenue streams and US jurisdictions may find the Ontario initiative a tempting honeypot to emulate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 07:16 AM

21 posts, read 68,064 times
We are contemplating this route as falling in the middle income bracket and be taxed like heck it seems more and more as we look at retirement being low middle class very soon. Have to be an awesome 55+ community with tons of things to do. We lean towards the woodworking...I want yoga :O) Knowing the units are small but at this point in our life we are ready to go minimal and use extra funds for travel. Its the health insurance that might doom us and then such a span in ages I'll have to find work. So hard to find answers...glad I found this site.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:15 PM

12,439 posts, read 31,510,636 times
I love to have one & live in it yr round ..... Problem Even if you own the land in a community THEY dont allow yr round living grrrr I think that would make them hard to sell.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:29 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,569 posts, read 39,952,759 times
Quote:
cozycrafter + Katie1

Keep me posted on what you find, but I am looking for similar, and may end up creating a few parks in different regions of USA (cuz I have a bad case of Wanderlust) I am targeting TN (NE), SD (NW), TX (hill country) as places I prefer (No income tax, reasonable land prices, and competitive rents). Good VA healthcare (not for me, but for potential residents), access to schools, an Interstate Highway, and cheap airport + lots of good scenery / activities (fishing / hiking / state and or national park) within a few miles of each.

Basically these would be smaller parks with smaller homes (Park models or modular). Semi Rural with lots of open space for gardening / walking / hobbies and close to a small college town with medical care and within 1 hr of an international airport. The ideal configuration would be a sloped parcel with grade level handicapped access from the car port / garage, no ramps (I have seen very few parks like this but they are really nice and safe).

There will be a central meeting hall / community store & kitchen / craft / art room / & Guest qtrs, as well as a shop / greenhouse / woodshop / RV hookups for guests.

Ideally you will own your home, and as a group (Co-op or corporation) own the acreage / park. That keeps residents in control of their rents AND their park. I expect to keep the price under $80k for home + share of park, and monthly fees around $200 to cover maint and property taxes for the park. I have visited a few parks with this ownership and am impressed that home values are considerably more, parks are very nice, cost of living very affordable, no need for serious rent increases in the future.

I'm all ears if you have found these or have some thoughts.
Of course medical costs are a huge barrier, so willing to take advice there too! (I will be 'self-insured' and traveling to foreign countries to pay for care / meds) There are a couple healthcare options (not called insurance) that are exempt from ObamaCare, that is another option, but it is basically a pool of benevolent folks paying for each others care via 'contributions'. I know several families who have used these for years, and have gone through cancer and the like to 'test' the system.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:04 PM

Rabbit What YOU are looking for already is out there. Every park I wanted to buy into ONLY allows you to live in them 180 Days! You could Buy in Most areas a lot in a good comunity then move to another & another! I cant afford to do that. I be lucky to afford 1 place! And my health wont let me do all that moving. Google the areas your interested in! They are out there! I found several No Campers on then for $1000 each!

Old 02-17-2011, 11:11 AM

I recieved a Pvt Message from SRabbit! System Wont let me answer grr So this is for you S.Rabbit

I have been looking at LOTS for sale that allow campers & year round living. ALL I found Only allow you to stay 180 days out of the year Even tho I be buying the Lot & Paying Dues for Electric! Which means I have to locate 3-4 of these lots in different places....which I dont want to do. BUT sounds like what You want to do! IF I Understood You Post???

Old 02-17-2011, 01:55 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,569 posts, read 39,952,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post

I have been looking at LOTS for sale that allow campers & year round living. ... I have to locate 3-4 of these lots in different places....which I dont want to do. BUT sounds like what You want to do! IF I Understood You Post???
You must be looking at lots that are "zoned" for camping /RV parks (limited stay).

I am not looking for that; I want to find / create a place with large 'green space', small cottages, and community service / utility buildings that are 'year-round' accessible (lower costs for residents (and me)). It won't be an RV park with folks living fulltime in skirted RV's. Personally, I will probably not live in any of these places till I'm a bit older, except to visit / maintain / build. I will collect rent / payments from tenants / owners, as well as hold an equity position in each operation for myself. (in case I ever want to live there)

I most likely will be living overseas for 20+ yrs to have access to affordable medical.

Thx for reply

Old 02-17-2011, 02:48 PM

Awww Ok so I did miss understand... Anyone know of a place I discribed? VA/NC/SC/GA or FL?? Then I be interested in what the OP was talkin about LOL

Old 02-20-2011, 11:32 AM

5,822 posts, read 13,317,177 times
We are currently in FL Keys. Place we are staying at sells parkside models (already in place-Key West style) for about $44K. Talked to someone who bought one and he has to pay $800 month to rent land. The company that owns the place is Encore.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:44 AM

137 posts, read 553,592 times
Default Different Strokes

Different strokes for different folks... Park models sure are popular depending on where you are. My parents primary home was in Washington state and they purchased a park model in Mesa AZ. swapping locations for 15 years depending on the season. They seemed to enjoy going to the same place every year, though I would never want that type of living arrangement.

I can't imagine anyone wanting to move a park model after it's set up. I bet the pickup, transportation, and set up costs would add up fast. With power, water, and sewer to attach plus new skirting, yikes!

My parents would go to AZ for 5 months at a time. To do that, they had to close up their home in Washington so empty the refrigerator, shut down heat and water, stop mail etc. AZ was hot in summer so some things could not be left in the park model while they were gone. Best example is radio and TV's. Heat would kill the TV and radio speakers so they got in the habit of taking those back and forth. You should have seen their Grand Marquis trunk on those back and forth trips... talk about finding a way to use every cubic inch of space!

Even for part time living, they discovered that the standard boxcar 40x10 wasn't big enough for the two of them, and they had a slide out built into living room. On top of that, they added an "Arizona Room" to the outside along with a car canopy. They ended up investing something like $40K overall so expense was modest but the monthly space rent kept climbing and they finally sold when it got to $650 a month, and that was 10 years ago.

As mentioned previously, purchasers have to be careful when looking at these units. My folks had friends that bought for looks and hated their decision as there can be really poor use of space. Some of these units are well designed though, but the cost goes up with better design too.

Just some thoughts from someone that knew somebody really well that owned one of these units for a good chunk of their life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing