Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 06:10 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,298,337 times

Advertisements

Airstreams tow wonderfully. You can think about a used one maybe. An excursion should tow just about any big trailer but check the tow rating before you buy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 10:43 AM

501 posts, read 1,292,850 times
Love airstreams, but I'd have a place to store it if you live in an area with hailstorms as we do in the high desert. I saw one after brief but severe hail - ouch. So many dents you couldn't count them Due to the way it was constructed, it is a major repair to fix that kind of thing (it was a one piece shell as I recall).

Our older camper had been left out without cover during that storm, and I have a very sad number of dents now on one side and the front, after having it for maybe 9-10 years without any damage. I could have the siding replaced, but given that I am now full time in this area, it may happen again and again.

Just something to consider! If it wasn't for that, I would love to have an airstream in my life

Old 09-09-2010, 06:01 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,156,946 times
Ditto on the hail in some areas. Our 2006 has been through two major hailstorms already, almost totaling it.

My last airplane was in two hailstorms too -- one while I was flying inside clouds and the other when it was pushed out of a repair shop by a mechanic to make room for a newer, bigger, more expensive plane. Repairs for the two incidents cost around $20,000.

My wife's car was nearly totaled this past spring when a hailstorm ripped through. My pickup sat right next to it but must have stronger metal, as it only had a few small dents.

The cars and plane were painted so could be repaired with Bondo. You couldn't do that with an Airstream. Once dented, they're in for costly repairs or dents for the rest of their lives.

Old 09-13-2010, 01:03 PM

444 posts, read 1,244,911 times
Thank-you all for the help in this thread. I will be purchasing a TT before next Summer and will need all the help I can get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing