U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 05:57 PM

46 posts, read 262,290 times

Advertisements

Has anyone out there owned a motor home? We are thinking about buying one, about 30' with hopefully at least 1 slide out. We want to buy the Class C type and will probably spend about $65k (but would love to spend less).

We need information -

How to negotiate for a good price, how do you know you are getting a good deal?

Did you buy one and find it was too small? Or too large, ... or the wrong type (i.e. a tow/5th wheel, class A or B) and wish you had done differently?

What is the best type to buy/maintain and then sell/trade when you are ready?

What do you wish you would have known before you bought your Motor home?

Do you feel like you are overusing resources (gas?) and do people try to make you feel bad for driving a gas guzzler?

Do you make reservations for camp sites well in advance, or do you just drive and hope to find somewhere?

How do you use your RV - for short trips or to go on extended trips across country? Do you get cabin fever? Other problems?

We are just so new at this and don't even know people that own them.

Please help with any information you will take time to share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2007, 06:15 PM

1,735 posts, read 4,137,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by balderdash View Post
Has anyone out there owned a motor home? We are thinking about buying one, about 30' with hopefully at least 1 slide out. We want to buy the Class C type and will probably spend about $65k (but would love to spend less).

We need information -

How to negotiate for a good price, how do you know you are getting a good deal?

Did you buy one and find it was too small? Or too large, ... or the wrong type (i.e. a tow/5th wheel, class A or B) and wish you had done differently?

What is the best type to buy/maintain and then sell/trade when you are ready?

What do you wish you would have known before you bought your Motor home?

Do you feel like you are overusing resources (gas?) and do people try to make you feel bad for driving a gas guzzler?

Do you make reservations for camp sites well in advance, or do you just drive and hope to find somewhere?

How do you use your RV - for short trips or to go on extended trips across country? Do you get cabin fever? Other problems?

We are just so new at this and don't even know people that own them.

Please help with any information you will take time to share.
I would buy a used one, most aren’t used that much and you should be able to get a much better deal. Let them take the first depreciation hit.
You can get pricing on line. Do your research.

Get a diesel pusher, I would not consider a gas motor home. Not all diesels are the same get one that has enough power to pull a hill fully loaded.

The size will depend on how you intend to use it. Remember you have to drive it and the bigger the motor home the harder it is to maneuver. Get a book on campsites they will list the maximum size motor home they will accommodate.

Some campsites you will need reservations as much as a year in advance, others just arrive. The book will help with this one.

Do a search on RV’s and you can find out anything you want to know.

Good luck

Old 06-28-2007, 06:55 PM

428 posts, read 2,217,442 times
We had a 35' Southwind, it was the perfect size for a family of four. Never got cabin fever. I highly recommend vinyl floors, as they get dirty fast and you only have to haul a little broom and mop.
We had a 3-burner gas stove (too many), a convection/microwave, and I brought along a plug-in griddle on our trips, which ranged from 3 days to 14. We had the Woodall's campsite book, and the RV maintenance bible.

Our biggest challenges were all water related, i.e., not enough, laundry piling up, etc. I don't think I would waste space in an RV on a washer/dryer, though. Get one with awnings, and a roof air. Dual roof air is nice, but you can't use both at the same time. Which is no big deal, after dark or in the shade, an open window works just as well.
We found that the used RV market is softest in AZ and TX. If that is not true now, someone chime in. We traveled to TX to buy ours from a small dealer in 2002 and sold it 3 yrs later in WA for $1000 more than what we paid.

Old 06-28-2007, 08:19 PM

MissyM -
wow, great business woman you are to buy, use, enjoy and sell for more! That's probably the first. Correction - we are looking for a class A (bus like) and there's just 2 of us, but we also want to enjoy months at a time living in the RV with our little dog.

Good advice on all of your post since no one told us dual A/C units only worked one at a time. We'll pick up the Woodall's book and is the maintenance book made by same company? We are so NOT mechanical. Should we avoid buying a RV because of this problem?

We live in the Phoenix area. Any recommendations on where to buy? We have a large dealer being bought out next month by CamperWorld or something like that. Is there a rule of thumb how much a vehicle should depreciate each year? Also, we will need a warranty and towing and I think I found a good lead on that but the vehicle still has to be under mfg. warranty to qualify.

RedNC -
We found out that diesel engines are much more expensive, and the mileage - we were told by dealer - is the same! true?

Here in AZ, a hot summer can ruin just about any rubber or plastic part if not properly stored and things like belts... well, they will probably break on our first 100 miles up hill into the mountains?

Old 06-28-2007, 08:40 PM

Quote:
RedNC -
We found out that diesel engines are much more expensive, and the mileage - we were told by dealer - is the same! true?
No question that diesels are more expensive. Also at times the fuel is more expensive. They also last longer and have fewer problems. Mileage is definitely not the same. Diesels get better mileage, have a lot more torque which is what you need in a motor home. They typically develop max torque below 2000 rpm. Dealers usually have 3 times more gas RV’s than diesel so they will always steer you toward gas.
You asked for recommendation and diesel is my recommendation.

Old 06-28-2007, 08:43 PM

29,747 posts, read 26,775,195 times
Exclamation Just a word of caution!

Just a word of caution! Most states that have motor vehicle “lemon laws” will help protect buyers when you purchase cars and trucks for personal use. However “motor homes” do not fall into that category and are not covered under lemon laws. Should you have problems with the RV you are on your own unless there are very specific warranties and guarantees that are written down before hand.

Arizona State Attorney General’s office just has a big problem with motor homes and dealers here a few weeks back. It appears that several dealers where selling RVs that were seconds (not 1st of the line) they seemed to have a few blemishes or problems. One of the units had a roof problem were water was leaking inside all the time. The owner finally had to take it back to the manufacture in Ohio or Michigan. It took over two months of time before he got it back and it still leaked! Nothing was able to be done to fix the problem. The owner is now trying to sell it off but has lost a lot of money and time dealing with this issue.

Old 06-28-2007, 09:59 PM

428 posts, read 2,217,442 times
I can't remember the name of the maintenance book, but it was about the same size as the Woodall's and went about telling you about maintenance system-by-system. Any well stocked RV parts store should have them. Another thing I can't remember the name of that we got a lot out of is RV Magazine (or something like that). You'll know it when you see it.

Old 06-28-2007, 10:37 PM

RedNC,
How long does a typical RV owner keep their unit? I sort of guessed that people would buy one, and just keep for a few years and find it parked more than they are using so sell it for a big loss. I can't find anything that really gives confirmation that anyone sells at a big loss... this was just our experience with a cabin cruiser boat. Hence, getting a diesel for performance is a very good reason, but does it bring in a higher resale value if we are just keeping for a few years?

Old 06-29-2007, 12:10 AM

279 posts, read 1,673,210 times
We have a travel trailer that we love. We have found it best to get into a campground membership. Much cheaper and you get the peace of mind Knowing you have a spot when you request one.

I recomend going to a RV show, one where lots of dealers are. They know the competiion is stiff and will give you a better deal.

My husband went to a dealership around 3 on a rainy day mid week and asked to be sold our trailer for $11,000 less than sticker price. The salesman had to call the owner, who said yes since he was the only customer all day.

The only thing we wish we had done differently was to get a 5th wheel. But they were out of our price range and we had an SUV already. But we don't regret not getting the motor home type.

We have a blast in ours. We wish we could take it out more than we do, but my husbands vacations don't always coincide with the kids.

Just remember, you are basically going to have to furnish a whole other kitchen, one week long trip I had planned for all our meals to be made in the toaster oven. Then forgot the toaster oven, had to find a store.

One thing about your dog. Every campground we have be to has very strict lease rules. I always wonder about these full timers and how their dogs are always in a motor home, or on a leash. When does that dog ever just get to go run?

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Old 06-29-2007, 05:39 AM

Quote:
RedNC,
How long does a typical RV owner keep their unit? I sort of guessed that people would buy one, and just keep for a few years and find it parked more than they are using so sell it for a big loss. I can't find anything that really gives confirmation that anyone sells at a big loss... this was just our experience with a cabin cruiser boat. Hence, getting a diesel for performance is a very good reason, but does it bring in a higher resale value if we are just keeping for a few years?
If you are buying a motor home for resale then don’t buy one. You should rent instead. Renting allows you to enjoy the camping side of RV’s without the expense.
Diesel will definitely have higher resale.
Since you have already experienced the “boat” thing, consider a motor home to be the same thing. “Two good days, the day you buy it and the day you sell it.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing