Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2010, 01:01 AM

2 posts, read 2,382 times

Advertisements

The only camping I've done was in my backyard with 1 seasonal tents the one for kiddies. Now that me and my wife are done with college we want to spend some time going around on trips, personally I've always wanted to go camping and fishing and now that I have time to I want to pick the right tent that can withstand rain and a bit of wind nothing serious of course. Instead of buying one of the MTS or giant family tents like axis/zulo, polaris, nexus etc. I thought I would start with something a little cheaper like the following, Wenzel Klondike. The reviews look great but I don't know if the great ones are just for advertisement. Please give me advice, and this is mostly for South Florida and other fishing areas.

Thanks!

Amazon.com: Wenzel Klondike 16 X 11-Feet Eight-Person Family Cabin Dome Tent (Light Grey/Taupe/Red): Sports & Outdoors

Wenzel 16' x 11' Tent, Klondike, Taupe/Light Gray - Walmart.com

Last edited by fixate; 10-09-2010 at 01:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 11:23 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,589,016 times
That looks like a lot more than what you need if there are only two of you that will be camping in it. I have several large tents, and the biggest problem I've had with them is finding a site that is suitable for the tent. A smaller tent is much easier to find a site for, so keep that in mind as you shop for a tent. If you truly feel you need the larger tent, then by all means, buy it.

I would suggest going to a few sporting goods stores and looking at what they offer before making your purchase. Some places to try would be Big 5, Sport Chalet, REI, Cabelas, Sportsman's Warehouse, Bass Pro Shops, or other places like them. Once you've looked at several models, this should help you make your choice.

Depending on what you actually need, you can either purchase your tent at one of the sporting goods stores, or you can get it at one of the discount stores, such as Target or Walmart. I've purchased some of their tents in the past, and I still have most of them, and have been pleased with them for their intended purpose. They are good for use in the summer camping season in most of the U.S. but they are not intended for much else. If you camp in an area with strong wind or very heavy rain, you'll probably need something sturdier than what Walmart sells. You may want to look at 3 and 4 season tents in such instances.

Old 10-13-2010, 05:23 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
Also keep in mind the bigger the tent the more weigh & the less supplies you will beable to carry! Check out Military Supply Stores too!

Old 10-19-2010, 10:23 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
You can start cheap, small, and easy and then as you get out there and see what other people have, what appeals to you, and make sure you really do like camping, then you can upgrade to something more expensive. There are just so many choices so my suggestion is just get something to get started and go from there.

That's a very nice looking tent - I like the screened room - but it looks more like a family tent. I'd rather go with one of those one-touch smaller tents that you can pop open like an umbrella in just a few seconds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing