U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 10-23-2010, 08:15 PM

7,130 posts, read 8,541,754 times
Wife and I will have a radio when we do our west trip in 2011. Just might be times when the cell phone is out of bars....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 10-24-2010, 01:24 PM

6,351 posts, read 11,998,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
I drove a truck for more than 30 years and when I retired in 2003, most truck drivers still had CB's but wouldn't pass on important information such as that speed trap or truck inspection right in front of you. It got very irritating. I even got a couple of tickets because drivers wouldn't speak up and tell about the cop following them! I guess they were scared to.

Channel 9: Does the OHP in Ohio still monitor channel 9? They used to, but they generally wouldn't say anything unless somebody went down there to aggitate them.

Gee! I wonder who would do that?
Stillkit, I see "Bear Reports" as a mixed blessing. Traditionally, I've been against 'em. If you're a professional, you're not doing anything to worry about. Let the idiots fend for themselves and get caught if they deserve it. Nowadays, it's even MORE about "revenue enhancement", so I've softened mt attitude a bit. Especially in IN; they have gotten VISCIOUS when it comes to revenue; speed limit changes frequently in short distances, inconsistent work zone speed limits, lane restrictions EVEN ON TWO-LANE INTERSTATES!!! So I give a shout-out sometimes...

FWIW, I feel that the Ohio State Highway Patrol is pretty reasonable; I've never gotten a speeding ticket in the Buckeye. As for Channel 9/19; I'm not sure that law enforcement monitors them like they used to. I've never had any luck on Channel 9 and 19 is rarely answered, from what I've experienced. I keep the numbers for the states I run through in my cell phone to report drunks & broken-downs, etc.

Unread 10-24-2010, 04:57 PM

5,797 posts, read 6,614,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
Stillkit, I see "Bear Reports" as a mixed blessing. Traditionally, I've been against 'em. If you're a professional, you're not doing anything to worry about. Let the idiots fend for themselves and get caught if they deserve it. Nowadays, it's even MORE about "revenue enhancement", so I've softened mt attitude a bit. Especially in IN; they have gotten VISCIOUS when it comes to revenue; speed limit changes frequently in short distances, inconsistent work zone speed limits, lane restrictions EVEN ON TWO-LANE INTERSTATES!!! So I give a shout-out sometimes...

FWIW, I feel that the Ohio State Highway Patrol is pretty reasonable; I've never gotten a speeding ticket in the Buckeye. As for Channel 9/19; I'm not sure that law enforcement monitors them like they used to. I've never had any luck on Channel 9 and 19 is rarely answered, from what I've experienced. I keep the numbers for the states I run through in my cell phone to report drunks & broken-downs, etc.
CC, if you remember it this way you can always get ahold of them , (1-800-GRAB DUI). That's the main line to OHP central dispatching Office and they will connect you to what ever regional post you need.

When I was working the roads on laying the asphalt, we would get idiots running through the work zones all the time at high rates of speed. So we would pick up our cell phone while sitting in the Zones and call the OHP and they would nail several speeders, cars and trucks alike. I would hate to see what those numb skulls had to pay out for speeding in a high-way work zone, LOL.

Unread 10-27-2010, 05:30 AM

14,023 posts, read 8,258,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robhu View Post
Still got a CB in my 1993 Silverado. It hasn't worked in years. Guess I should just take it out.
But I remember back in the 70's, 80's, traveling in my 4 wheelers and pretty much tagging along with the big rigs with company logos. Some of the independant cowboy truckers were ones you didn't want to be around.
I traveled a lot at night. I would fall in with truckers driving safe and actiing normal and not trying to impress anyone. Just doing their job and being smart but still making good time.
Never had a problem because I was never a problem. Even pro truck drivers appreciate people in 4 wheelers who know how to drive without interrupting the flow of traffic and understanding big trucks dont operate like cars.
I miss those days of rolling with the big guys.
Even today, without a working CB, I still would rather fall in with the professional truck drivers.
And before it was channel 19, it was channel 10. But that was many years ago.
And channel 9 is still supposed to be the emergency channel. Does anyone monitor it?. I don't know. Everyone has cell phones now.

Yes, back in the day, those private carriers (company owned trucks) generally hired a better breed of driver because they were serious about serving the needs of their customers and getting the trucks home for another load. "Cowboys" just didn't last very long on those jobs. Sadly, they're just about a thing of the past now as most companies have gone to using cheaper common or dedicated carriers. Consequently, they have little control over not only the delivery times, but also over who is representing them out there on the road.

However, that's not to say some of the company trucks wouldn't run. Around Dallas, from where I ran most of my life, there were a lot of private carriers and most of their trucks would run up into the triple digits, or pretty close to it. And, we wouldn't hesitate to drive them that fast either.

But, believe it or not, most of the higher quality company drivers could handle a truck going that fast and do it safely. I know that runs against the grain of "common" knowledge, but it can be done and done consistantly. My own case is far from a unique example: Even at speeds of over 100 mph, and a lot more miles in the 80-90 mph range, I managed 2 1/2 million accident free miles. So did most of my co-workers and drivers at other private carriers. The monstrous, high-speed wreck among that group of drivers was almost non-existant.

Why? Because that group of drivers had good sense and the ability to recognize a threatening situation long before it became a reality. Driving fast is an art form which not everyone can do, nor should they, and the quality of drivers retained by those well-paying company fleets ensured that no "cowboys" would embarrass or endanger their companies for long.

That's not true today. These days, in the relentless pursuit of lower freight rates, anybody who can breath will be put behind the wheel of a big truck and the carriers compensate for their lack of skill by watching and directing them by satellite and by controlling the speeds they can drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing