U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-15-2010, 03:30 PM

175 posts, read 208,156 times

Advertisements

We are 5 Spaniards and we want to rent a RV to go next summer from Houston to LA (1 month more or less, crossing Texas, New Mexico, going to the Grand Canyon, Las Vegas...you know..., and return from LAX to Spain).

Advices about routes, prices and RV parks or campsites wil be grateful
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2010, 03:50 PM

38,756 posts, read 39,297,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Housemartin View Post
We are 5 Spaniards and we want to rent a RV to go next summer from Houston to LA (1 month more or less, crossing Texas, New Mexico, going to the Grand Canyon, Las Vegas...you know..., and return from LAX to Spain).

Advices about routes, prices and RV parks or campsites wil be grateful
In Texas it is legal to park overnight in an RV at all highway rest areas and there are hundreds of them, indicated on the Texas state road map available from the tourism department. The police might ask you for ID, but will not tell you to leave. You can also park overnight free in the parking lot of all WalMart stores (almost every town with 5,000 inhabitants in every state). If you don't see other campers there, ask at the service desk where they would prefer you to park.

The best proper campgrounds are National Forests. Designated by a green tent-shaped symbol in areas shaded light green, on Rand McNally atlas maps. The will not have electrical hookups, and are very quiet (please keep them that way), and a few may be difficult to drive a large RV into. Typical fee will be $12-15, and they are usually almost empty, except on weekends.

Commercial campgrounds are usually family oriented, with a lot of amenities, and quite expensive. In summer, it might be very hard to find camping space in the popular parks, especially the national parks like Big Bend and Grand Canyon.

Old 10-16-2010, 08:23 AM

Thanks for the information. Anyway... highway rest areas are safe places?

And, one question more... It's easy ( I mean it's common) to rent a RV for go coast to coast? Or we have to plan another route less long?

Last edited by Housemartin; 10-16-2010 at 08:46 AM..

Old 10-16-2010, 10:29 AM

I think a one-way rental might be difficult. One-way car rentals are easy because the agencies are all national franchises, but RV rentals are usually local operations, and they have no way to get their RV back to them again.

Here is a site in Dallas, Texas, that will rent one-way:
http://www.cheaprvrentaltexas.com/5_...tal_texas.html
There should be something similar in Houston. If you can't find a comparable deal in Houston, you can rent a car in Houston and drive to Dallas in 4 or 5 hours for maybe $100.

A 30-day rental would give you 1,800 free miles, which would be enough. Figure $60 per day, allowing for taxes, extra miles, drop-off charge, etc. and estimate it to cost $2,000, and fuel for that distance could be about $400.

Last edited by jtur88; 10-16-2010 at 10:50 AM..

Old 10-16-2010, 11:14 AM

Wop! Buy and sell ... enough risk for a holliday.

I'm finding in cheaprvrentatexas.com now.

My data are: Dallas - LA 3.000 kms (1.800 miles), 30 hours driving. I think it's enough but i know we'll skip beautiful places.

Old 10-16-2010, 11:37 PM

If you can rent for $2,000 a month, I'd say that's a lot better than buying and reselling, which would also require paying for insurance. For anything longer than 3 months, yes, buy/sell would be a good idea, but only one month, it's better to rent.

Quite honestly, I'm surprised that it would be as cheap as that. That's a good price.

Since you can make the trip with an average of only one or two hours driving per day, you would see a great deal more if you use the secondary roads, instead of the Interstate freeways, where you would see nothing. I'd suggest angling across Texas through Lubbock, to Clovis, New Mexico. Then route 60 to Show Low, Arizona, and the beautiful mountain drive to Payson, then up to Flagstaff to begin your tour of Grand Canyon and Las Vegas. In general, there will be fairly light traffic on those roads, and the distance about the same. Remember that to see Grand Canyon, it is a 150 mile round trip up there and back from the east-west highway, with no short cuts.

Last edited by jtur88; 10-16-2010 at 11:53 PM..

Old 10-17-2010, 02:49 PM

OK. I'll check the route that you suggested to me.

Thanks a lot jtur88 or Naris..

Old 10-17-2010, 10:17 PM

4,285 posts, read 10,389,271 times
You have plenty of time for the route you have planned.

Try this site for rental options Cruise America RV Rentals and Sales - The Official Site

Old 10-18-2010, 10:17 AM

Thanks, Corner !

I have already taken note of this web and I'm planning about the options..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing