U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 01:22 PM

823 posts, read 3,376,276 times

Advertisements

How difficult is it to travel in an RV? When my wife retires we want to visit and spend time in the areas we are considering retiring to. I am not a handy person, would it be difficult for us to travel in an RV?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2007, 02:28 PM

1,406 posts, read 4,675,080 times
As long as you can drive it or tow it (depending on what you choose), you'll have fun, fun, fun! If you're in a motorhome, tow a small vehicle to do your day trips. (Learn what you can tow and what you can't.)

Learn all you can about RVing -- and the basic maintenance items (checking for water leaks, hooking up the electric, water and sewer; using the enzyme/deodorizer stuff that goes in the "black water" tank; etc.).

Talk to other RVers and see what problems they've run into. Make sure you can back those big mamas into a campground parking spot -- or stay in a park with pull-throughs.

You can always have the RV shop change your oil and do the mechanical work when needed. Also, buy a roadside emergency insurance plan in case you ever need a tow, or a tire change, etc. Look into the Good Sam club or one of the other RV membership plans.

Old 07-16-2007, 01:34 PM

702 posts, read 2,893,976 times
We used to have a 34 foot, class A, and it is easy to drive and care for. You use the outside mirrors for 100% of your driving, except for looking thru the windshield of course. You will find that you have to gas up at truck stops because the regular stations are too difficult to navigate thru. Hooking up in a campground is easy, but one word of caution...use an electrical tester on the ac boxes before you hook up. Some campgrounds have a few boxes that are hooked up improperly and they could damage your system. Enjoy your travels!
Oh, I almost forgot...Good Sam Insurance is the best and if you are the first owner of the RV they give you FULL COVERAGE if the RV is stolen or tottaled, but you must be the FIRST OWNER. It was cheaper insuring my class A than my car.

Old 07-16-2007, 09:51 PM

18,696 posts, read 36,474,664 times
The company I worked for wanted me to go out to Portland and ramrod a project transfering a ex-Navy ship to a foreign country. We train the crews, over haul the ship and outfit it. Takes about 10-11 months.

I checked on apartments or houses for rent in Portland and found them very expensive at that time.

So I bought a 37 ft 5th wheel. Figured when I finished, I'd have a good vacation rig. Plus, the company payed living expenses and what they payed, allowed me to pay for the 5th wheel in less then 6 months.

Well, I did that project, and just before completing it, they come up with another in San Diego so I went straight to California when I finished Portland. Course, when I finished San Diego, I went to Charleston. Then Norfolk. Portland again. Norfolk. Pensacola. Charleston. Tampa. Norfolk. Charleston. Then Texas.

I lived in that 5th wheel, for 8 years. I will say I loved it. Course, I'm single so I had no worries other then me.

It had a super slide out. Dining room and couch living room area. Plus the queen bed up in the front had a slide out giving me lots of room in the bedroom.

But after 8 years, I got back here to Wyoming and thought, I've had enough. So I sold the 5th wheel. It wasn't 3 months and I was kicking myself in the butt. I was looking for another 5th wheel. This time, not to live in. But take it up on the mountain for Deer/Elk season. Camp on weekends and go 4 wheeling. In our mountains, you can pull it out in the woods and set it up. ANYWHERE. But it has to be moved every two weeks.

I have neighbors who bought an old used travel trailer. In April, they pull it up on top. They go up every weekend 4 wheeling. Every other weekend, they move it to another location. Of course, you might want a generator, or do like I did. I took the extra post on the trailer plug and run 12 volts from my alternator and wired it up to the batteries in the 5th wheel. The batteries would run the lighting about 4 days. Then I'd back the truck over and hook it up and let it set and run for about 2 hours. It would fully charge the batteries and I was good for another 4 days.

I was always parked in an RV park and had power, water and sewer. But due to Hurricanes knocking out power for days on end, I come up with that idea.

Old 07-17-2007, 01:48 PM

Default If You Have Anymore Specific Questions...just Ask

Quote:
Originally Posted by norm View Post
How difficult is it to travel in an RV? When my wife retires we want to visit and spend time in the areas we are considering retiring to. I am not a handy person, would it be difficult for us to travel in an RV?
Any specific questions???

Old 07-17-2007, 02:00 PM

18,594 posts, read 19,568,094 times
Norm,
You might want to consider renting some different rigs before purchasing one.

Old 07-17-2007, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azloafer View Post
We used to have a 34 foot, class A, and it is easy to drive and care for. You use the outside mirrors for 100% of your driving, except for looking thru the windshield of course. You will find that you have to gas up at truck stops because the regular stations are too difficult to navigate thru. Hooking up in a campground is easy, but one word of caution...use an electrical tester on the ac boxes before you hook up. Some campgrounds have a few boxes that are hooked up improperly and they could damage your system. Enjoy your travels!
Oh, I almost forgot...Good Sam Insurance is the best and if you are the first owner of the RV they give you FULL COVERAGE if the RV is stolen or tottaled, but you must be the FIRST OWNER. It was cheaper insuring my class A than my car.
I was going to post pictures, but I don't know how that is done.

Old 07-17-2007, 04:58 PM

14,939 posts, read 10,233,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
Norm,
You might want to consider renting some different rigs before purchasing one.
I agree with this 100%! Since there are so many options to choose from, renting will give you a better idea of everything you need and want.
I used to have 30ft Southwind classA I loved it that I could take my dogs everywhere.

Old 07-18-2007, 04:28 PM

Default Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by azloafer View Post
I was going to post pictures, but I don't know how that is done.
Here's another attempt to show pics...Hey, it worked!

RV travel-photos-009-reduced-size.jpeg

RV travel-photos-238-reduced-size.jpeg

RV travel-photos-240-reduced-size.jpeg

RV travel-photos-243-reduced-size.jpeg

RV travel-photos-253-reduced-size.jpeg

Last edited by scirocco22; 07-19-2007 at 10:27 PM.. Reason: insert photos to be displayed in post. Thanks, azloafer, I have an Itasca too!

Old 07-22-2007, 02:13 AM

12,448 posts, read 31,550,188 times
Join a RV club like good sam club. And tripple a AAA. lots of help out lots of retired people traveling [as well as the young set]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing