Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 08:15 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,351,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsCats View Post
My husband, the dog, and I will be doing our annual close-to-home tent camping "trip" to the Indiana Dunes National Park in July. Also, this is one of our "off years" when we don't make true "vacation" plans with a motel and all that fancy stuff. We'll be camping in southern Indiana and Illinois with my husband's best friend and his family.

I've only ever been tent camping, and where we camp in the Dunes is tent only anyway, so that's fine.
Over all the years I've bought a few tent trailers and truck campers I always get drawn back to tent camping, no other type of camping makes me feel like I'm getting away from everything like a tent does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 06:55 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,592,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Over all the years I've bought a few tent trailers and truck campers I always get drawn back to tent camping, no other type of camping makes me feel like I'm getting away from everything like a tent does.
I pretty much feel the same way, though that's almost all I know when it comes to camping. I've traveled in RVs a few times, and have owned a truck camper, but other than that, I've always tent camped. Now that I have my Jumping Jack Trailer, I will be doing a lot of camping in that, but it's still just a tent that is easily transported and set up. It also has, more or less, "real" beds in it. They are just foam cushions laying on a hard support, but they are more comfortable than the foam pads I've used under my sleeping bags for years.

Old 02-01-2011, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
I pretty much feel the same way, though that's almost all I know when it comes to camping. I've traveled in RVs a few times, and have owned a truck camper, but other than that, I've always tent camped. Now that I have my Jumping Jack Trailer, I will be doing a lot of camping in that, but it's still just a tent that is easily transported and set up. It also has, more or less, "real" beds in it. They are just foam cushions laying on a hard support, but they are more comfortable than the foam pads I've used under my sleeping bags for years.
Does it set up as easy and fast as it shows in their video? Craiglist has had one but it kinda sounds like a fishy deal it seems way to cheap and they are appearing to be a dealer. I'm stillthinking of getting one myself.

Old 02-02-2011, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Does it set up as easy and fast as it shows in their video? Craiglist has had one but it kinda sounds like a fishy deal it seems way to cheap and they are appearing to be a dealer. I'm stillthinking of getting one myself.
What you see in most of the videos is part of the process. Most videos don't show unhitching and leveling of the trailer, which takes a few minutes, as well as unscrewing the wing screws that hold the "wings" down. Many of the videos also show the protective bag after it's already been unzipped.

The basic process is as follows:

1. unhitch the trailer and get it close to level (slightly low at the tongue), then...
2. lower the rear support.
3. Use the front (tongue) jack to then level the rest of the way.
4. Unhook the table (which is also the bulkhead in utility mode), and unscrew the wing screws that hold down the "wings." Unhooking the table is necessary to allow the wing screws to turn.
5. Unfold both wings (they become your bed supports).
6. Unzip tent bag, then roll up the cover and hang it over the front of the trailer.
7. Unfold tent.
8. Lift up rear of tent, step back, then push it down (this causes the front portion of the tent to "jump" up).
9. After front (tongue end of trailer) of tent pops up, step forward and push up to raise rear of tent. As rear of tent rises, pull tent support post toward you.
10. Attach hold-down straps on both sides of trailer, and front flap over the cover you rolled up earlier.

At this point, the tent is up and you can go inside. You still need to place the cushions on the beds, and raise the table, but these things only take about a minute or so.

You can also unhook the table/bulkhead from the front of the trailer, and attach the four legs to set up your outdoor cooking table. This takes another minute or two.

All of the above steps (1-10) can be performed in a matter of about 5-7 minutes from the time you park, if you're well enough practiced. On the maiden voyage of my trailer a couple weeks ago, it took me 15 minutes from the time I parked until my bed was completely made and ready for me to get into it. This included the steps above plus setting up the mattress pads, the inside table, and unrolling my sleeping bag and laying it out. The only thing I didn't set up was the cooking table for outside the trailer. This was the first time I timed myself on the process, and that was with no one helping me.

I'm sure with some practice, I can cut the time almost in half (3-5 minutes from the time I park until the tent is up). In order to achieve the two minutes claimed in the video, the trailer must already be unhooked and level, and the "wings" would have already needed to be unsecured. Also, the protective bag would most likely already be unzipped, so all that would need to happen is for the wings to be unfolded, and the cover rolled back, then the tent would be unfolded and raised. These things can easily be done in two minutes (even by me with very little experience).

I am thinking about making my own Youtube video for the trailer showing everything that is missing on most of the other videos. It does set up quickly, and more so than most other pop-ups. It is also easily set up by one person. The hardest part for me is unzipping the protective cover, because to do so requires reaching over the wings to access the zipper pull, or climbing on top of the wings to do so.

When I was at the Sportsmen's Expo in Sacramento, I saw a great deal on the Jumping Jack trailer. The trailer with an extensive list of accessories included, was being offered for just under $5000. That is a much better deal than what I got mine for, since I paid about the same price, but didn't get all the same accessories with it. They may offer the same deal when they have that same show in Phoenix (Feb. 24-27) or Salt Lake City (March 17-20).

Last edited by jdavid93225; 02-02-2011 at 12:20 AM.. Reason: clarity

Old 02-02-2011, 07:49 AM

Make that video, if I don't care for this trailer I've got then thats my next set up.

Old 02-02-2011, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Make that video, if I don't care for this trailer I've got then thats my next set up.
It may take me a while to get around to doing so, since I won't have a lot of time to get out with the trailer in the next couple of months. If I'm able to get out with it anytime soon, I'll try to remember to film all these things and get them posted.

Old 02-02-2011, 11:15 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,107,360 times
We usually try to make it to Campbell Lake and Howard Paraire Reservior a few times during the Summer. In the Fall of the year we have camped for as long as ten days at a time near our Elk hunting area. We have to use a generator because out in the middle of no where there are no hookups, and we have to watch the water use. Keeping our fifth wheel warm is no problem as long as the generator is running, but a forced air furnace uses up the voltage in batteries in a hurry. We also use a catalyic wall mounted heater that doesn't take any power. You really need to do some planning if you are going to camp with snow on the gorund, staying warm is more difficult that you think it would be.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
You really need to do some planning if you are going to camp with snow on the gorund, staying warm is more difficult that you think it would be.
I bought a propane heater (Mr. Heater Big Buddy) for use in my new Jumping Jack tent trailer. I tried out both the trailer and the heater in my driveway on a cold night in December, though there wasn't any snow on the ground at the time. The heater worked well to keep the chill away in the trailer, until it ran out of propane (I was using only one 1 lb. disposable cylinder at the time). That happened a little before 4 a.m. and I woke up because I was cold, even in a warm sleeping bag. After changing the propane cylinder, and running the heater on high for a little while, I was warm enough to go back to bed. Both the heater and the tent trailer worked well for me, other than the part about running out of propane. I now have a hose I can use to hook the heater up to a 20 lb. bulk tank. The following night was a bit warmer, and I was able to sleep through the night in the trailer without using the heater.

I also used the trailer again in January in Sacramento, but the temperature there was pretty warm compared to where I live. Even on a cold morning there, it was about 40 degrees (F), and I didn't need the heater to sleep comfortably.

Old 02-25-2011, 03:16 PM

1,457 posts, read 6,031,492 times
Quote:
I decided to try something different for me, I've owned overhead campers, tent trailers (still have one) and tents, the last few years we have tent camped more than anything and it's been a lot of fun.

This year I'm giving a shot at camping in a small trailer, many of the places we go are off road so I picked up an old 68 Shasta 14 foot trailer, leaf springs and straight axle, it's in fairly good condition, it was cheap and I've taken out the dinning area and made the back a bed, new lighting, new propane lines, new 12v with new lights, floor and new water tank and such.

Getting close to being done so we shall see how this works out, the idea came becaus I should have a lot more weekends off this year and I want to be ready to go at any time instead of all the packing.

Ok youre turn.
Coast Redwoods several times, and Nehalem Bay State Park and Harris Beach State Park at the Oregon coast.

Several years ago, I did a cargo trailer conversion, but expect to use motels about 75% of my hiking days this year. We still use tents too.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:55 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Our plans are "evolving." We are picking up a new to us 5er on May 12 and plan to camp our way back home from Florida. Between now and June, we will be camping around NC before heading north to MI for our youngest's wedding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing