Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 06:15 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,348,680 times

Advertisements

I am starting to see this more and more, either no pets. Or charging an extra fee for a pet. Many people camp specifically because they can bring their dog with them.

Is it a liability thing? Or are they just cranky owners of these parks? Or are they just tired of cleaning up after people who are too ignorant to scoop the doo-doo?

Some campgrounds say that you can't leave your dog behind, when you leave, the dog has to leave. You cannot leave it in the camper for any length of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 06:21 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,943,480 times
It is because of the wildlife. Although a lot of us train our dogs well and know their limits, far too many do not which could jeopardize your safety as well as your dog. Plus, a lot of people aren't great about picking up their dog poop which destroys the experience for those without animals and attracts other animals doesn't help the cause either. We have always wanted to go to the Great Smokey Mountains National Park one day with our dogs but the only worthwhile trails don't allow dogs. Definitely ruins the experience but maybe in the end, it would be more enjoyable without having to worry about them.

Old 01-27-2011, 08:55 PM

Personally I think they just would be better off cracking down on the bad pet owners while at the campgrounds rather than banning dogs totally. How many customers do they lose by doing that? (I am mainly targeting private campgrounds who specify no pets). What about full-timers? Many of these people have little doggies with them.

I guess they know their clientele best though....

People that don't scoop really aggravate me!! It gives all dog owners a bad rep.

I can definitely see not allowing dogs in the national parks for sure because disturbance of wildlife and environment.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:11 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,747,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
I am starting to see this more and more, either no pets. Or charging an extra fee for a pet. Many people camp specifically because they can bring their dog with them.

Is it a liability thing? Or are they just cranky owners of these parks? Or are they just tired of cleaning up after people who are too ignorant to scoop the doo-doo?

Some campgrounds say that you can't leave your dog behind, when you leave, the dog has to leave. You cannot leave it in the camper for any length of time.

All of the above -- although charging extra seems a bit of a cop out.

Depending on your insurance carrier there could be a substantial increase in liability premiums if you permit dogs.

There are certain dog owners who feel that camping means they are "in the country", a place where all God's creatures can roam free and do as they please: crap on the lawn, harass other campers, chase wildlife, romp on the people beach, roam on neighbouring properties, etc. That type behaviour by both owner and dog can quickly label our canine companions as a PIA.

As far as animals being left unattended, that's usually a noise issue. Many dogs, when left alone by their owners, tend to become protective of their space. That can lead to Bowser barking every time a person comes within view or earshot of the rig. The owners are blissfully off having a nice afternoon at the beach while their neighbours get a full dose of the canine chorus.

Are all dogs and owners this inconsiderate?

Of course not, but like many things in life, a few bad apples spoil it for the good folks.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:51 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post
...Although a lot of us train our dogs ... far too many do not which could jeopardize your safety as well as your dog. ,,, maybe in the end, it would be more enjoyable without having to worry about them.
As a pet owner for over 50 yrs, a camper / hiker, and a commercial and residential property owner.... I would say 'All-of-the-above' and more;

Liability, danger and inconvenience to others, Gobs (literally) of extra work, health concerns, social disputes (someone may be killed by a pet owner they cross), ... all make it tough to allow pets in campgrounds and on trails.

I took my well mannered dog to the beach ONCE on a 100F day. I was sympathetic to the apprehension this caused others, the hassle and trouble to my own experience, and the disruption to my own pet (he'd never been leashed or fenced... (farm dog), but he did fine). As happy as he seemed, he stays home now. (out of respect to others).

pets can be very personal subjects (and more spoiled than the most spoiled kid)
Emotions run high.

Old 01-29-2011, 09:13 AM

7,685 posts, read 13,140,797 times
All of Ohio's state parks have pet free areas, but they also have camping areas for those who have pets. But even in these places you get those who don't read the rules on noise control, poop clean-up and keeping them on leashes. I've sat and watched adults laugh and carry-on as their dog chase the geese, ducks and even other pet that are leashed. We were at a state park and the lady two sites down just sat there reading as her dog barked the whole time. People got fed up with it and called the park ranger. She was given a warning and after the second complaint was told to pack-up and leave. (out of stater) go figure.

Old 01-29-2011, 08:01 PM

I would have to be that lady's neighbor she probably lets her dog do that at home too!

Yeah, there are always those who spoil it for others. We have never had problems with our dogs over the years. but seriously, many people camp just because they need or want to bring their dogs along. We just make sure that we double-check the pet policy before reserving a spot.

It used to be a given that campgrounds allowed pets if on a leash and kept in check. Not anymore.

Old 01-30-2011, 10:01 AM

Talking sometimes you gotta love skunks!!!!

Saddly enough there are always those few who don't want to read the rules and do allow their pet bark all the time and poop with out cleaning up after them.

We had a situation at Heuston Wood State park here in Ohio once (don't ever camp there) the idiots next to us were camping in a tent, in the pull in camper section. Well the white trash morons brought their "barking all the time dog" with them and the fool dog on the last night ticked off a passing skunk that fired a round at the dog. Even though it did stink, the best part was that the skunks aim was not only at the dog, but it got there tent as well and the tents flaps were open, LOL!! After they packed up and took off that same night, the smile must have hit its mark very well and the smell was soon gone. Love to see a happy ending.

Old 01-30-2011, 10:21 AM

44,627 posts, read 61,603,272 times
Here's one possible reason why some want dogs off trails or constrained.

HikeArizona.COM • HAZ Forum Topic - Pine Canyon Tragedy

Tragedy
by montezumawell » Mar 25 2005 8:48 am

We suspect that many readers are familiar with what we're calling "The Pine Canyon Tragedy."

In short: In May 2004, a hiker is allegedly beset by two dogs. He allegedly shoots toward them. The dogs' owner allegedly charges the hiker, allegedly yelling one or more death threats. The hiker allegedly shoots the individual. The individual dies. A Coconino County Grand Jury indicts the hiker. Various legal proceedings transpire since then.

Old 01-31-2011, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Here's one possible reason why some want dogs off trails or constrained.

HikeArizona.COM • HAZ Forum Topic - Pine Canyon Tragedy

Tragedy
by montezumawell » Mar 25 2005 8:48 am

We suspect that many readers are familiar with what we're calling "The Pine Canyon Tragedy."

In short: In May 2004, a hiker is allegedly beset by two dogs. He allegedly shoots toward them. The dogs' owner allegedly charges the hiker, allegedly yelling one or more death threats. The hiker allegedly shoots the individual. The individual dies. A Coconino County Grand Jury indicts the hiker. Various legal proceedings transpire since then.
This is one good reason why "leash laws" were invented. Allot of people don't understand one thine about Ohio, "we have a state wide leash law" no matter where you live or visit in this state you must keep you dogs on a leash at all times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing