Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2011, 07:51 AM

1,100 posts, read 3,012,198 times

Advertisements

I posted this in the "travel" section, but got no response. So I am re-posting it here. I have a 12 year old son and a 6 year old daughter. My son is a boyscout, and my husband is one of the leaders. They camp as a troop, once a month in different spots in S. Florida. But it's not necessarily a "family" camp out. Please recommend some great places to camp throughout the country where there are lots of things to do with both kids. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 08:17 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Any of the national and state parks with camping should be great for kids. The Grand Canyon for example has great camping and hiking but many state parks with campgrounds have lakes, forest trails and even playgrounds for kids.

Old 02-28-2011, 02:43 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,652,997 times
My husband sells rvs in florida. The company he works for keeps an rv onsite at Camp Wilderness in Disney World that the employees can use!! It's a great place for families and I think your kids are the perfect age for it!!

Old 03-01-2011, 05:12 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
There is also a "resort" in South Dakota everyone raves about. Blackwood I believe? Folks say they can stay for weeks and never leave the campground there is so much to do?

+2 on the Disney World Camp Wilderness experience. At least it was great when mom and dad took us there in the 1980s. My brother was there a year or so ago and said it was still pretty great. They even have cabins and RVs to rent...

Old 03-01-2011, 09:21 AM

1,477 posts, read 6,019,788 times
They are everywhere it just depends on what you like to do as a family. Most any rv resort will offer multiple opportunities based on where it is located. Have stayed at campgrounds that have offered horseback rides, atv rentals, even jetski and surfing classes. The kids will find something fun to do no matter where you stay. Just get out there are start doing it

Old 03-01-2011, 04:58 PM

1,100 posts, read 3,012,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
There is also a "resort" in South Dakota everyone raves about. Blackwood I believe? Folks say they can stay for weeks and never leave the campground there is so much to do?

+2 on the Disney World Camp Wilderness experience. At least it was great when mom and dad took us there in the 1980s. My brother was there a year or so ago and said it was still pretty great. They even have cabins and RVs to rent...
Oh wow very interesting!!

Old 05-28-2011, 10:50 AM

192 posts, read 494,162 times
I will second the National Parks, they also have Junior Ranger Programs for kids giving them tasks to accomplish to earn a Ranger Patch. Great way for them to learn about the parks.

Old 05-31-2011, 06:01 AM

3,051 posts, read 11,592,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Any of the national and state parks with camping should be great for kids. The Grand Canyon for example has great camping and hiking but many state parks with campgrounds have lakes, forest trails and even playgrounds for kids.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fripper View Post
I will second the National Parks, they also have Junior Ranger Programs for kids giving them tasks to accomplish to earn a Ranger Patch. Great way for them to learn about the parks.
Malamute and Fripper pretty much summed up what I was going to say about the national and state parks. That was the first thing that came to mind for me when I read the OP. The only thing I will add to what they said is that national parks often have programs for kids (and adults) put on by the park rangers. Some of these are talks given around the campfire in some of the more popular campgrounds.

Something else to keep in mind are the KOA "Kampgrounds." Most offer recreational activities in addition to a place to camp, so if you want a pool, rec room, and other activities on site, you might want to check them out. Many of the other private campgrounds around the country also offer similar activities.

Many of the places I like to camp have fun things to do like fishing and hiking. When I went camping as a kid, I enjoyed those activities as much as anything else. These days, I have found that just enjoying the outdoors is what makes camping special for me.

Old 05-31-2011, 07:12 PM

621 posts, read 1,615,646 times
Florida has some great state parks. I grew up in Tampa and as a boy scout, i camped with my troop for over 20 years, as a boy and a leader. It is a bit different going from camping on scout property being secluded from the public to tent camping in state parks. I ttok my wife camping the first month we were dating for her birthday (her idea, she loves to camp as well) took her to Weikiva Springs SP in Orlando. Had a great time..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing