Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 08:54 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,350,315 times

Advertisements

My days off finally lined up with the weather, My first trip of the year is always a memorial trip for my Dad I always go to one of his two favorite camps, this year It was a place named Cedar creek a small camp around 4500ft.
Friday and saturday was great, spent the days hiking and fishing, we also helped a few people cross a creek when they got stuck

Sunday morning around 2AM it started to rain, no problem being I was testing the old trailer I had rebuilt but for my co-campers with tents it wasn't as good, around 6AM it began to hail then snow we packed them up and home they went.
My plans were to stay but the wife and Son didn't want me to so we packed up and came home it was probably a good thing It was a great trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 09:32 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,591,920 times
RD, that's the same place you went last year for your first trip, isn't it?
I still haven't made it up there, but I still plan to.
I've made a couple trips already since the beginning of the year, but I almost wouldn't call it camping, since both of them were to urban or suburban areas.

I spent one night at a KOA near Sacramento when I went to the International Sportmen's Expo in January.
In April, I spent one night at the Placer County fairgrounds where I went for a stock car race a friend was competing in.

I do have a trip planned for the middle of June, when I'll be going with a church group to Lake Isabella. I'm also thinking about a local run on Memorial weekend, but haven't decided on that yet. If I do so, it'll probably just be somewhere close to home.

Old 05-19-2011, 10:51 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,233,609 times
Mid-May snow at 4500 feet in California? Wow!

We likely won't be heading out for awhile yet. Our favorite campground is forecast to get up to 2 feet of snow tonight. Yikes!

Old 05-20-2011, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
RD, that's the same place you went last year for your first trip, isn't it?
I still haven't made it up there, but I still plan to.
I've made a couple trips already since the beginning of the year, but I almost wouldn't call it camping, since both of them were to urban or suburban areas.

I spent one night at a KOA near Sacramento when I went to the International Sportmen's Expo in January.
In April, I spent one night at the Placer County fairgrounds where I went for a stock car race a friend was competing in.

I do have a trip planned for the middle of June, when I'll be going with a church group to Lake Isabella. I'm also thinking about a local run on Memorial weekend, but haven't decided on that yet. If I do so, it'll probably just be somewhere close to home.
yes it's the same place, we always go there or Alder creek for the first trip, I wanted to go to Alder but the forcast said rain on Sunday morning and if it rains there you're stuck until it dries out the road.
We havea trip planned for Wishon area in July but it's looking like work is going to interfere with those plans.
It looks like I'll have weekends off thru June so if it doesn't get too hot I'll head for Alder creek asap.

Old 05-20-2011, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
Mid-May snow at 4500 feet in California? Wow!

We likely won't be heading out for awhile yet. Our favorite campground is forecast to get up to 2 feet of snow tonight. Yikes!
yeah this has been a real winter here, totals of rain and snow are way over normal and we have a storm coming in Sunday, real good for the mountians.

Old 05-24-2011, 07:05 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times
That first camping trip of the year is the best. We are heading north on June 13 and will be on the road for 4-5 weeks. It will also be our first extended trip in our new-to-us 5er....

Old 05-24-2011, 07:13 AM

12,114 posts, read 15,000,621 times
You guys are funny with your first trip of the year. We go all year here but granted we don't have the beautiful places you have but I will take what I can get. Any trip is a good trip for me. Headed out for a good 3 day weekend this weekend!!

Old 05-24-2011, 07:15 PM

We used to camp year round, summers in the mountians and winters at the beach, i have camped in the snow before but didn't enjoy it all that much

Old 05-24-2011, 08:31 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,233,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
... i have camped in the snow before but didn't enjoy it all that much
I believe my most miserable camping trip was to the Bighorns on an elk hunting trip in my early years. All we had was a summer tent. We pitched it on a foot of snow, which of course turned to ice when we slept on it (no mattresses). Temps dropped to -20F (and stayed there for the whole trip). The first night it snowed another 12-18 inches, which we had to knock off the tent's roof several times during the night to keep it from collapsing. The next morning we crawled out and saw fresh elk tracks all around our tent -- a herd of at least 20. We never actually spotted an elk during the whole trip.

Old 05-27-2011, 08:04 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper1 View Post
You guys are funny with your first trip of the year. We go all year here but granted we don't have the beautiful places you have but I will take what I can get. Any trip is a good trip for me. Headed out for a good 3 day weekend this weekend!!

We only count trips that are more than a week. Less than that is just a visit to some new trees..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing