Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 07:39 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,591,550 times

Advertisements

NEW YORK – These days, camping isn't just pitching a tent in the wilderness on a long hike, or stopping at a campground far from home on a road trip.

Instead, for many leisure travelers, camping nowadays may involve driving just a few miles from home to spend the night in a cabin with a roof, bathroom, beds and electricity, or taking the kids to a place that offers activities and entertainment like scavenger hunts or sports competitions.

Camping not just pitching a tent any more - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap_travel/20110518/ap_tr_ge/us_travel_trip_camping_trends - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 08:39 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
...camping nowadays may involve driving just a few miles from home to spend the night in a cabin with a roof, bathroom, beds and electricity, or taking the kids to a place that offers activities and entertainment like scavenger hunts or sports competitions.
This is NOT camping.
And neither is RV'ing.

The convenient sanitation provisions of the many developed camp(ing) grounds notwithstanding...
if you aren't sleeping in a tent (at most) and aren't spending your time in the elements... it just isn't camping.

Ice? Portable radio? OK, sure.
Refrigerators? Generators? TV's? No way. WTF are you thinking? :sigh:

Old 05-19-2011, 08:52 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,629,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
NEW YORK – These days, camping isn't just pitching a tent in the wilderness on a long hike, or stopping at a campground far from home on a road trip.

Instead, for many leisure travelers, camping nowadays may involve driving just a few miles from home to spend the night in a cabin with a roof, bathroom, beds and electricity, or taking the kids to a place that offers activities and entertainment like scavenger hunts or sports competitions.

Camping not just pitching a tent any more - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap_travel/20110518/ap_tr_ge/us_travel_trip_camping_trends - broken link)
The cost of staying in a cabin can compare with staying in a motel, lol. The only thing campy about that is its in the woods, hopefully. Good for kids who get sick easily from the waether.

Old 05-19-2011, 02:35 PM

12,114 posts, read 15,000,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
This is NOT camping.
And neither is RV'ing.

The convenient sanitation provisions of the many developed camp(ing) grounds notwithstanding...
if you aren't sleeping in a tent (at most) and aren't spending your time in the elements... it just isn't camping.

I think there are a lot of us that would disagree. There are different types of camping sure, but camping is camping. Rv'ing included.

Old 05-20-2011, 07:36 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,216,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
This is NOT camping.
And neither is RV'ing.

Kind of like saying early pioneers who went in horse drawn covered wagons weren't really "pioneers" if they weren't walking or on horseback and carrying their life's possession on their back?

Old 05-20-2011, 07:54 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,274,107 times
I don't know if I'd call it camping either, but some people (especially kids) are getting to see some nature and hopefully everyone is destressing a little bit.

Old 05-20-2011, 10:18 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,350,315 times
Default News, Camping not just pitching a tent any more.

I've pretty much done it all and considered it camping, each has it's own character, I must say that no matter what I have owned I always go back to the tent camping, I find it the most fun for myself as long as I can sleep comfortable that my number one thing.

Old 05-20-2011, 10:31 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,872,469 times
lol pitching a tent...

Old 05-20-2011, 10:53 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,967,839 times
camping always was and always will be takin a tent, a sleepin bag and a propane stove with you, rvs have AC, defeats the purpose of enjoying the outdoors, cabins with electricity, same thing, if youre goin to get in touch with nature, its hard to do that with the light on, the fan blowin, and the walls blockin your view of the trees

Old 05-21-2011, 07:45 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
In some places because of bears and cougars, they won't even let you camp out in a tent.

A lot of people who like to camp out like having a variety of ways to camp. In the summer it might be enjoyable to hike and camp in a little tent, for longer vacations by a lake, maybe a pop up or travel trailer. RV's can take you into the national forests where you hike and sit around a campfire.

And a lot of people prefer to avoid bed-bug infested hotels and motels and pull over into a campground with a travel trailer or pop up or RV instead, and it's a lot funner for kids to be able to get outdoors.

And of course not everyone is camping in the wilderness all the time, sometimes you have reasons to camp out in some relative's driveway in your own RV or trailer because you like having your own space when you travel.

It's all just what someone likes or prefers at the time. Some hard core campers of course will hike into remote bear inhabited areas and camp out in a tent, and they'll camp in a tent in the middle of winter but not everyone is hard core or has to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing