U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2011, 06:16 PM

40 posts, read 110,417 times

Advertisements

We would welcome all opinions and or advice owning a home vs a motor home. We will be retiring in 5 - 6 years in Washington State or British Columbia and staying in a warmer climate during the winter months, probably Nov. to March or April. I can appreciate the ability to stay in different cities instead of being anchored in one spot. Unlike a lot of retirees who have a bunch of friends in particular area, that have helped people to decide to buy property close to them, we don't have that luxury.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2011, 07:31 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,382 posts, read 50,562,503 times
Sounds like fun to me, and there are plenty of campgrounds and even urban trailer parks, there's a nice one in Bellevue. My parents have hookups at their home in Port Angeles that they use for visitors that stay over and have a motorhome or trailer. Perhaps you can find someone that will allow you to do that for a small fee.

One thing you might have to do is pay for two mailboxes at a place that forwards, one at each seasonal place. You will need some kind of address, if nothing else for driver license and vehicle tabs.

Old 07-05-2011, 02:35 PM

33,134 posts, read 39,067,107 times
Why not buy a condo that will be your permanent residence and buy a used RV for your winter travels.
Going solely with the RV leaves you with an ever depreciating liability that will only escalate in maintenance costs as time goes on,also leaves you with no home base if as you get older your desires for traveling from camp ground to campground loses its appeal.
I've thought about doing what you are thinking of and keep thinking of my experiences of long term camping/rving and after a few months on the road it certainly is nice to get home..

Heres a blog from some one who is fulfilling dreams on the road, might give you some hints,ideas and motivation one way or the other..

http://www.fulltimeroadwarriors.com/...ity-check.html

Last edited by jambo101; 07-05-2011 at 03:39 PM..

Old 07-05-2011, 09:51 PM

4,285 posts, read 14,137,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Why not buy a condo that will be your permanent residence and buy a used RV for your winter travels.
Going solely with the RV leaves you with an ever depreciating liability that will only escalate in maintenance costs as time goes on,also leaves you with no home base if as you get older your desires for traveling from camp ground to campground loses its appeal.
I've thought about doing what you are thinking of and keep thinking of my experiences of long term camping/rving and after a few months on the road it certainly is nice to get home..

Heres a blog from some one who is fulfilling dreams on the road, might give you some hints,ideas and motivation one way or the other..

Full Time RV Road Warriors: Living Full Time On The Road Reality Check

As usual, jambo101 raises some very good points.

RV's don't maintain themselves for free, move for free, or generally stay in place for free.

Another aspect which many seem to gloss over in their enthusiasm for the open road is very real possibility of illness.

While we all hope our Golden Years are going to be just that, sometimes a little tarnished brass gets mixed in with the gold.

If debilitating illness should happen to strike, it might be very comforting to have a known, fixed home base complete with its support network of familiar medical facilities.

Old 07-05-2011, 11:17 PM

48,519 posts, read 80,998,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgreen View Post
We would welcome all opinions and or advice owning a home vs a motor home. We will be retiring in 5 - 6 years in Washington State or British Columbia and staying in a warmer climate during the winter months, probably Nov. to March or April. I can appreciate the ability to stay in different cities instead of being anchored in one spot. Unlike a lot of retirees who have a bunch of friends in particular area, that have helped people to decide to buy property close to them, we don't have that luxury.
I suggest you rent one for a extended stay on a vacation before buying. I use to meet friends for a month in Destin;florida for a month and preferred staying in a condo. We figure the cost and it was pretty much the same really.

Old 07-06-2011, 02:31 PM

I guess I could add more info. The permanent home will be Washington or BC, (having a difficult time with that one),but will travel to warmer climates.
Instead of a second home in a warmer place, we thought about an RV, so we are not stuck to one particular area, especially if we find friends.

Old 07-06-2011, 02:47 PM

[quote=bisjoe;19876442]Sounds like fun to me, and there are plenty of campgrounds and even urban trailer parks, there's a nice one in Bellevue. My parents have hookups at their home in Port Angeles that they use for visitors that stay over and have a motorhome or trailer. Perhaps you can find someone that will allow you to do that for a small fee.

How long have they/you lived in Port Angeles?
A couple of years ago we went to Sequim to see if that would be a good place for our retirement home. What do they/you think of Sequim?
I am from BC but live in Ca. and I miss seeing islands when I am on shore, so I kind of nixed Sequim and besides it too a long time to get to Sequim from Seattle. We did like the house prices and the lack of rain.

Old 07-07-2011, 06:44 AM

5,706 posts, read 12,815,737 times
We own a home and also have a motor home. We live at our home during spring, summer and fall although we take several trips during that time in the RV. Winter we fly to HI for two months and then head to the FL Keys for a few months. We have neighbors that check on the house weekly and handle snow removal, etc. Mail can be forwarded wherever you are. Our bills are on auto pay (using e-statements) from our accounts and we have online checking. We pay mostly via credit card so as not to have a lot of cash.

Strongly suggest taking a trip in a motor home for at least two months before you make any permanent decisions. Campgrounds vary and sometimes it takes awhile to find one that has what you seek. Most people we have met don't live in RV full time, although some do and enjoy it.

We have met people who rent their homes out and live in the RV, traveling around. So there are other options you can consider. We love traveling in the RV and enjoy having the best of both worlds.

Old 07-09-2011, 12:26 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
20,774 posts, read 37,441,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Strongly suggest taking a trip in a motor home for at least two months before you make any permanent decisions. Campgrounds vary and sometimes it takes awhile to find one that has what you seek. Most people we have met don't live in RV full time, although some do and enjoy it.

We have met people who rent their homes out and live in the RV, traveling around. So there are other options you can consider. We love traveling in the RV and enjoy having the best of both worlds.
Yes, explore ALL options... our household has mixed desires, thus...
typical yr; PT retiree 20 nights in RV (@$15-$40), 50 nights in Guest homes (@$10 including meals), 20 -40 nights home swap(zero + travel), 5 nights in resort hotel($120), 20 - 40 nights international travel (hostel / guest home($20-$40))

=Some friends do frequent house sitting for traveling. They have a regular 'circuit' in the winter. and and pre-established route, as many older homeowners go to time shares / vacation at certain times every yr.

We have:
A 20 MPG class C
Rialta Heaven - Welcome - Rialta Eurovan Camper, VW Rialta Camper, Used Camper Van
Very nice, very comfortable, too small to live (I feel you need double door (frt and Rear) to live in with more than one person. Slide-outs would be a possible alternative, but I really dislike single door RVs)
Free Campgrounds for RVs

several 50 MPG Diesel Cars (guesthome travel, 1200 miles between fill-ups )

Fly / Drive / guesthome / house swap
$89 SWA fares & $10 / day priceline car + $10/night guesthome is VERY tough to beat. (We eat on $5 - $10 day, for 2 when traveling... usually grocery store items, once / week we will splurge and attend a good and hearty 'happy hour' ~ $15 for 2)

I have a spreadsheet for determining costs and method of trips. 50mpg and guesthomes are winners on strictly cost basis, BUT the other half likes to camp, so they are off for the weekend with a sibling... suits me fine! I (solo) have used the RV for a 4 month winter trip across the SW USA. I parked near a CHEAP airport and flew home for a week every month. When on the road, I spend lots of time in Libraries, Hotel / Lodge Lobbies & Study rooms / community centers (lap pools / hot tubs / mineral baths), University and college (private are best) study rooms, National Park visitor centers, community senior centers (I like old folks And their life adventures), hardware stores ... internet cafes... IKEA ($.99 breakfast)

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 07-09-2011 at 12:34 PM..

Old 07-09-2011, 12:42 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
20,774 posts, read 37,441,293 times
[quote=bcgreen;19902558]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisjoe View Post
... My parents have hookups at their home in Port Angeles that they use for visitors that stay over and have a motorhome or trailer. Perhaps you can find someone that will allow you to do that for a small fee.

...What do they/you think of Sequim?
I am from BC but live in Ca. and I miss seeing islands when I am on shore, so I kind of nixed Sequim and besides it too a long time to get to Sequim from Seattle. We did like the house prices and the lack of rain.
I will be adding some RV hookups for short-term tenants in SW WA (Columbia Gorge National Scenic Area (20 minutes from PDX)). vista house at crown point - Google Search

We lived on Thetis Island, BC for a short term. Was quite nice, but Island expense can get old fast.

I would recommend getting closer to SEA if you are considering Puget Sound area. Maybe Poulsbo.

Though Bellingham and region north might be a better option for you.

PA / Sequim has limited options, and I feel it would cramp my style. (I like to GO PLACES) frequently...

BTW: I have friends in Black Creek, BC who rent an apartment (2400SF) over shop (year-round) to retirees who snowbird in winter. It is really a good situation as retirees help with large garden and grounds, and each can utilize each other's extra space when they have visitors. The retirees use this as their permanent home to keep their 'stuff'. (Win:Win)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing