Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2011, 03:01 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,338,677 times

Advertisements

The wife and I are contemplating a multi month, or even multi year RV lifestyle after retirement.
Can an RV vagabond tell me how they pay bills, collect income, get mail etc.
I'm thinking beyond just on-line banking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 03:35 PM

2,184 posts, read 5,551,065 times
Some mail box type stores use addresses that list the box as a "suite" which is pretty cool. You can use that on a resume or whatever & it isn't as obvious as a POB contact address.

You can search the forum for past posts on your topic : ) Maybe these links/posts will help you refine your questions:

New To Full Time Rv'ing. Home Base Considerations.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/campi...s#post19910957

I hope this helps! I'm entertaining the notion of forgoing the apartment life for mobile... Good luck!

Old 08-04-2011, 05:01 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,338,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahkate_m View Post
Some mail box type stores use addresses that list the box as a "suite" which is pretty cool. You can use that on a resume or whatever & it isn't as obvious as a POB contact address.

You can search the forum for past posts on your topic : ) Maybe these links/posts will help you refine your questions:

New To Full Time Rv'ing. Home Base Considerations.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/campi...s#post19910957

I hope this helps! I'm entertaining the notion of forgoing the apartment life for mobile... Good luck!
Thank you VERY much.
Saved me a bunch of time.

You've given me some fun reading.

Old 08-08-2011, 03:05 PM

137 posts, read 615,349 times
www.escapees.com is source you should check into. There are many considerations when thinking of going full time including tax status. We full timed for 5 years, and I recommend you investigate the advantages of being the resident of different states. Our choice was South Dakota as we got mail forwarding service as well as state residency easily. Escapees offers a wide range of services for full time RVers and is based in Texas.

Setting up automatic bill pay worked for us for most of our bills. We didn't have credit card payments, but if you did, I think any online banking system could handle that. We camped in remote locations a lot, so Internet access was an issue and was solved with a rather pricey satellite system. Things are changing, and you might have good success with a wi-fi enabled computer for your needs.

Full timing isn't for everyone, but we loved it! We volunteered with the US Forest Service and Bureau of Land Management. We worked at a fishing lodge in the Sierra Nevada mountains, and traveled to and from Alaska on the ALCAN Highway. It's a great way of life, but the costs are higher than most people think. Vehicle maintenance for travelers can get expensive. RVs typically were not meant to be lived in full time, and adding much moving around like we did will beat up a vehicle. My philosophy was it's a truck first, and a house second as we heading into back country locations. I had to keep after loose screws and nuts and bolts all the time.

Campground resource website can offer some ideas on where to stay you may not have thought of. You might try www.rv-camping.org as it has a lot of info about finding different places to stay.

Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing