Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 11:32 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sax6272 View Post
OK thanks. This reminds me of a condo alright......I'm certainly surprised to see that once you own a lot, you'd still owe another $100/on top of that unless that pays for ALL utilities. I'm afraid to ask how much a month I'd be paying if I don't own the lot. I wonder if I could find anyone to take up my lot and pay me rent during the months I'm not there, if I don't need it all year. Many options, but SELDOM 'subleasing' on a leased lot. you have to pay for water and sewer, as it is not individually metered in RV parks.

I've seen trailers out in the country on their own acreage with nothing near them except the utility pole that runs electricity to their power. ... Zoning is an issue, but... You will often need a well, power, and septic to be able to establish a permanent residence / zoning rules will often disallow long term 'camping'. I found TX to be good at rural zoning for RVs

I presume you can't turn on the lights at night cause the noise from the running generator would have kept you awake anyway. Not to mention gas costs.
Gensets... (I hate the noise / smell of those,) MANY folks run them in Walmart lots, truckers too. The 'whisper quiet' Honda and Yamahas are very expensive.

If I'm staying in Walmarts (or Free Campgrounds for RVs) I shower at city pools, or state parks (or my outdoor shower). I will use the bathrooms in truckstops / walmarts... I try not to use my waste tanks while enroute. (mine are very small). Many Rest stops have 'dumps'.

The rural RV sites I'm planning, I hope to rent for $300 / month while occupied, and $100 if storing RV on a dedicated lot, or $60 if you move it to a 'NON-SERVICE' lot. There will be sewer + a laundry and showers and commercial kitchen available in the community building (as well as shared shop, greenhouse, ...). Part of the draw of my proposed sites will be that they are affordable enough, you can fly / drive between them w/o using your RV / tow rig as a 'commuter'. Eac site will be in a 'hub' of a very nice area to visit, AND within 20 miles of a cheap airport. I will have 50 mpg vehicles that you can rent or use. (I have plenty of spares... ~ 25 (StealthRabbits are VERY cheap to buy and operate).

Keep your options open.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2011, 04:08 PM

4,596 posts, read 6,350,757 times
"why did you choose South Dakota as your domicile state, and how can you claim that if your properties are in other states"?....
SD treats fulltime RV'ers very well tax wise. And where you own property has no bearing on where you choose to claim your domicile. Domicile refers to the taxpayer’s permanent, legal address; the place they intend to make their home for an indefinite period of time, (usually registering to vote, obtaining a drivers license, obtaining a legal mailing address will suffice) and has nothing to do with "residency". Some states view residency as a certain period of time one lives within a given state, thus becoming a resident of that state, and subject to their tax laws. Fulltimers rarely get sideways with state laws as they are usually mobile, never spending enough time in one spot to be considered residents by a given state.

Regards
Gemstone1...

Old 12-12-2011, 07:39 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,140,525 times
We are full-time RVer's with Florida domicile. Sold our home in Illinois, went to Pensacola (home of Good Sam Mail Forwarding) and within 3 days were FL residents. Good Sam handles our mail, helped us get our vehicles licensed in FL, transferred insurance to FL, got new Drivers Licenses (which will show your RV tag # as your address), and registered to vote. Very simple. Very easy. Considered a full time RV'er since 2004.

About 2 years ago, we purchased another stick's and bricks--- but--we still spend 11 months a year in the RV-- so the house is considered our vacation 2nd home.

Old 02-28-2019, 05:00 PM

1 posts, read 696 times
I have been full time for over a year with no stick house. I thought it would be good to buy one in Arizona as an investment and use it now and then just to get a break from the motorhome between trips. Just haven’t decided if that’s a good deal or not.

Old 02-28-2019, 05:41 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
I have a friend in Cochise Valley and 3 near Prescott Valley and one near Tuscon who have properties (homes) where they 'retreat' from their FT RV life. All were had ~$200k (with space for RV's), no HOAs

I keep places in WA, TX, CO that have the main house rented out (fulltime) and a Shop / apartment / cabin for me + extra RV sites for friends. (All had for ~ $100 - $200k each)

Trips between locations are a write-off for Maint / service to the rentals. (as allowable). Active participant.

I will chose ONE of the places (or a different place) by age 70. and sell the rest ('On Owner Contract' if rates are 7%) In the meantime.. the tenants are paying these places off for me, while I travel. The rents also cover my travel expenses. I have places to store my stuff (complete shops / homes at each location)

Old 02-28-2019, 09:35 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,580,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Set Free 2 View Post
I have been full time for over a year with no stick house. I thought it would be good to buy one in Arizona as an investment and use it now and then just to get a break from the motorhome between trips. Just haven’t decided if that’s a good deal or not.

The time to buy in AZ was five to 10 years ago. Houses in my AZ neighborhood are just about back to where they were when the houses were new, which was in 2005, just before the crash. I bought my house almost five years ago and it's up just little over $100,000 over what I paid for it.

Old 03-01-2019, 10:41 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,739,027 times
We owned a lot in this park. Pretty fantastic. The pacific out of our windshield. We sold the lot but still go there very year for a week or ten days. The only downside...HOA.

Pacific Shores MotorCoach Resort in beautiful Newport, Oregon 97365. / Welcome Pacific Shores Motor Coach Resort in beautiful Newport, Oregon.

Old 03-06-2019, 06:24 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
We owned a lot in this park. Pretty fantastic. The pacific out of our windshield. We sold the lot but still go there very year for a week or ten days. The only downside...HOA.

Pacific Shores MotorCoach Resort in beautiful Newport, Oregon 97365. / Welcome Pacific Shores Motor Coach Resort in beautiful Newport, Oregon.

I sent that link to my husband to start him dreaming about retirement.

Old 10-03-2020, 12:55 PM

2,407 posts, read 1,524,546 times
We full time. Been on the road for 4+ years. The house is a rental which is handled by a local property management company. This works best for us.

I find a lot of locations on the road that look like they may be nice places to live once we decide to settle down again. Time will tell as to what the next chapter holds.

Old 10-05-2020, 11:11 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Works within your personal cash flow needs. (if you are well off, you can have a mansion waiting for you).

For many, they leave homes vacant and have a neighbor care for it.

Others use 'House sitters', or rent out a room 'furnished' to someone they know.
Adult children can come home / watch.

If you live in a destination area, you can do some some short term rentals (first through a management company till established clientele is formed).

My plan... have a small home / apartment / RV hookups for me, yet have the main house / property rented and cared for by tenants. I will have 3+ of these places likely WA, TN, TX, (all income tax free) and have a couple places 'out of country'). All these will be self supporting and positive cash flowing properties. That way I can RV or live / rent abroad at will.
We intend to do this. Sell our house, buy a small house, use the rest to buy an RV to live in. We ill rent the small house to whichever of our children are the most broke. They get low rent but have to take care of the house and keep our room available. We will have an RV pad there and visit roughly one month of the year. When our health/age prohibits us from RV living we can go to the small house to die. Where it will be depends on where our neediest kid lives at the time we buy the small house. It will be on water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing