U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2011, 04:31 PM

5,945 posts, read 12,726,291 times

Advertisements

I originally posted this on another thread but received no responses, so I'm hoping perhaps starting a new thread in a different area of the boards might help me find some asnwers.

I have a few questions, I apologize if they seem really ignorant, but I've never even been inside an RV/MH/or TT or 5th wheel before so I'm a big dummy when it comes to this topic.

- What do you do for a permanent address is you are a full-timer?

- What happens if you are called for jury duty and you are on the other side of the country or something like that? Or you are stuck in a hotel room because your RV/TT/MH/etc. is in for repairs?

- Do most of you carry a gun or have you ever felt the need to carry a weapon for protection? How safe do you feel? Have you ever been broken into?

- How is the air quality in the TT's/5th wheels/MH/etc.? Have you ever had your air quality tested?

- Do you think that you eat out more than you would if you lived in a traditional home? Considering you have less storage space and a smaller fridge, etc. I just wonder if you spend more money on food than you would if you lived in a traditional home with a pantry/freezer/regular-sized fridge/etc.? Also since you cannot grow your own food or can your own food in a TT or the like. With a regular home there are many ways you can save on food.

- For those of you with pets and children - how difficult is it to find medical care for them? Dentists? Schools? For human children, has it been difficult for them to maintain and establish long-term and meaningful friendships with people outside of the family?

- If you homeschool, do you find it's easier to unschool or do you follow a more traditional curriculum? Which homeschooling laws do you follow if you travel state-to-state since homeschooling laws vary state-to-state?

- How much do you spend on average if you are renting lots or spaces or at state parks? It seems the most budget-friendly would be to rent a piece of rural land, but for those of you who do not do that... how much do you spend per month on rent? At the state parks in my state, the average nightly rent is $24. I multiplied $24 by 30 (average number of nights in a month) and came up with $720. That's really expensive sounding to me. You can rent a nice apartment for less than that where I live (Eugene, Or). Is that about average - $20-something a night?

- How much do you pay for taxes/registration/licensing on your tt/5th wheel/mh/etc per year? Is it like a car where you have to reregister annually or whatever it is depending on the state where you live?

- Do you have to have a special license to drive a MH or 5th wheel, etc.?

- How much money do you spend on gas per month, on average? Has the increase in gas made you think about changing your lifestyle?

- I've also heard that airstreames leak something awful. That's not a question, just thought I'd share!

Sorry for so many questions, but my husband and I are both very interested in living lightly and frugal/simple living, we love to travel, and full-time RV'ing (or whatever else it's called - boondocking?) is a very interesting idea to us! Thanks!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 10:14 AM

1,477 posts, read 4,742,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
I originally posted this on another thread but received no responses, so I'm hoping perhaps starting a new thread in a different area of the boards might help me find some asnwers.

I have a few questions, I apologize if they seem really ignorant, but I've never even been inside an RV/MH/or TT or 5th wheel before so I'm a big dummy when it comes to this topic.

- What do you do for a permanent address is you are a full-timer?

First do you understand what a full timer is?
Most full timers like myself use RV friendly States as their domicile, The poplular states are Texas, Florida and South Dakota but many people stay with their home state..That is something you will have to work out with your tax adviser and accountant

- What happens if you are called for jury duty and you are on the other side of the country or something like that? Or you are stuck in a hotel room because your RV/TT/MH/etc. is in for repairs?

That answer can vary based on your domicile states rules. Some states will excuse you, others will make you show up....If your stuck in a hotel room, your stuck in a hotel room, nothing you can do about that....I have been lucky the few repaires I have needed on my Class A I have been able to stay in my coach

- Do most of you carry a gun or have you ever felt the need to carry a weapon for protection? How safe do you feel? Have you ever been broken into?

gun laws are going to vary state by state

- How is the air quality in the TT's/5th wheels/MH/etc.? Have you ever had your air quality tested?

Never tested my air quality in my Class A and never tested my air quality when I lived in my stick and brick home, change the filters and you will be fine.

- Do you think that you eat out more than you would if you lived in a traditional home? Considering you have less storage space and a smaller fridge, etc. I just wonder if you spend more money on food than you would if you lived in a traditional home with a pantry/freezer/regular-sized fridge/etc.? Also since you cannot grow your own food or can your own food in a TT or the like. With a regular home there are many ways you can save on food.

The wife and I have more storage then we will ever use in our motorhome and also have a full size residential refrigerator along with a smaller combo fridge/freezer in one of our bays. Now do we spend more money on food? Yes we do, we enjoy eating out at places we have never tried before and enjoying the local foods for that area

- For those of you with pets and children - how difficult is it to find medical care for them? Dentists? Schools? For human children, has it been difficult for them to maintain and establish long-term and meaningful friendships with people outside of the family?

Kids are grown and on their own, as far as our dog when vet services are needed we just use a vet that the locals recommend based on where we are at.

- If you homeschool, do you find it's easier to unschool or do you follow a more traditional curriculum? Which homeschooling laws do you follow if you travel state-to-state since homeschooling laws vary state-to-state?

- How much do you spend on average if you are renting lots or spaces or at state parks? It seems the most budget-friendly would be to rent a piece of rural land, but for those of you who do not do that... how much do you spend per month on rent? At the state parks in my state, the average nightly rent is $24. I multiplied $24 by 30 (average number of nights in a month) and came up with $720. That's really expensive sounding to me. You can rent a nice apartment for less than that where I live (Eugene, Or). Is that about average - $20-something a night?

I cant use most state park campground due to the large size of my motor home so cant help you with state park campground fees....My nightly fees for the year so far are anywhere from free (lot swap) to 112 bucks a night

- How much do you pay for taxes/registration/licensing on your tt/5th wheel/mh/etc per year? Is it like a car where you have to reregister annually or whatever it is depending on the state where you live?

Depends on what state you use as your domicile.

- Do you have to have a special license to drive a MH or 5th wheel, etc.?

Again depends on the state

- How much money do you spend on gas per month, on average? Has the increase in gas made you think about changing your lifestyle?

Depends on how much your travel, My motor coach has a 200 gallon tank and gets around 6-7 miles to gallon...Diesel fuel has ran me anywhere from around 3.80 a gallon to over 5 bucks a gallon this year.....you can do the math

- I've also heard that airstreames leak something awful. That's not a question, just thought I'd share!

Sorry for so many questions, but my husband and I are both very interested in living lightly and frugal/simple living, we love to travel, and full-time RV'ing (or whatever else it's called - boondocking?) is a very interesting idea to us!

Thanks!!
First you need to understand that there are many different types of RV's out there on the market, only a few I would consider are set up for "full Time living" and/or bondocking. Just going out and buying a TT from your local dealer is not going to cut it...You will need an RV that is built for full time living and not just for camping. Things like extra insulation, double pane windows, larger holding tanks, solar panels and extra batteries are just a few of the things you will have to think about.....

So before you just jump into Rv'ing you need to do allot of homework

RVing is more of a lifestyle, I can tell you most people I know spend as much or more a year living in their RV then they did living in their stick and brick home, more things break in a RV and more things need to be serviced in a RV etc. Your living standards will not change going from a stick and brick home to a RV the only thing that will change is the view out your window

Many people have this idea that they can sell their home, buy an RV and travel the country just spending pennies on the dollar that they were used to spending when they lived in their stick and brick home....sorry to tell you that is just not true in most cases

Last edited by rtandc; 09-21-2011 at 10:54 AM..

Old 09-21-2011, 03:16 PM

Woah... OK. I really appreciate your response. But I am terrible at math so help me here: If you have a 200 gallon tank.... and you get 6 or 7 miles per gallon... that means you can drive about 28 or 29 miles per tank of gas - correct? Or... wait... no no no... that's 1400 miles per full tank of gas. No? I'm telling you my math is really bad. lol

And let's say if fuel is costing you about $4 a gallon (I know it fluxuates, but let's just use that figure as unfortunately right now it seems to be a reasonable one...)... it costs you $800. to fill up your tank?

Please tell me my math sucks. That's discouraging. Especially on top of cost of repairs, nightly stays, food, water, sewer or dumping your toilet/wastewater/etc.

Old 09-21-2011, 04:42 PM

1,477 posts, read 4,742,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
Woah... OK. I really appreciate your response. But I am terrible at math so help me here: If you have a 200 gallon tank.... and you get 6 or 7 miles per gallon... that means you can drive about 28 or 29 miles per tank of gas - correct? Or... wait... no no no... that's 1400 miles per full tank of gas. No? I'm telling you my math is really bad. lol

And let's say if fuel is costing you about $4 a gallon (I know it fluxuates, but let's just use that figure as unfortunately right now it seems to be a reasonable one...)... it costs you $800. to fill up your tank?

Please tell me my math sucks. That's discouraging. Especially on top of cost of repairs, nightly stays, food, water, sewer or dumping your toilet/wastewater/etc.
Lol yeah your close. 6-7 mpg is about what I average but it can be worse, if I am having to run my house AC units when I am traveling on the road which I normally do then I have to run my generator also. My generator uses the diesel fuel from my fuel tank so my average mpg drops even lower, plus if I am somewhere where it's chilly at night and I need to run my furnace well* guess what that runs off the diesel fuel in my fuel tank also so I am using diesel fuel without even moving
I never let my fuel tank get much below half a tank but even then it's costing me 400-500 bucks every time I fill up. So figure you want to travel 600 miles over a two day period ( I only travel at most about 300 miles in a day) that is a 100 gallons of fuel. So figure it cost me 400 + bucks in fuel to get there.

Does that cost still sound like a cheap lifestyle to you?

Now understand I drive a large motor home and some of the smaller motor homes will get better fuel mileage but don't expect any of them to do much better then 8-9 mpg

Old 09-22-2011, 12:46 PM

24,639 posts, read 24,070,186 times
There's another folder under Travel that discusses camping and RVing.
It might be better to have this moved there.

Old 09-22-2011, 01:10 PM

I'm up for that - how do you move a thread?

Old 09-25-2011, 12:16 PM

24,639 posts, read 24,070,186 times
First of all, look in the other thread, there'st probably a similar topic already.

Click on the triangle in the upper right and ask the mod to move or delete as appropriate.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:24 AM

4 posts, read 7,835 times
Default Thank you everyone!

Thank you for all of the information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing