Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2011, 11:13 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times

Advertisements

I'm paying $7,800. Gets around 37 mpg with a 41 liter tank.
I don't see them often.

I'll be selling it in 2 years!
Look me up when you get here. I travel all the time.

Rabbit, thanks for the links.
The magnetic strips are brilliant!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2011, 10:30 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I'm paying $7,800. Gets around 37 mpg with a 41 liter tank.
I don't see them often.

I'll be selling it in 2 years!
Look me up when you get here. I travel all the time.

Rabbit, thanks for the links.
The magnetic strips are brilliant!
Thx, 2 yrs (2014) should about right for me. Still several yrs away from SS / Medicare, and gives me time to get my 4 USA retirement / RV site / homes built or bought. + time to save some $$$$ for a camper van. It looks to be a weekender rather than a westy / camper (stove, frig, furnace, sink ...). If those are rare I can always bring or ship one. They are very ez to find around here (PNW) Diesel is rare, but usually a few / month on USA Craigslist. The Weekender (w/o stove...) does free up a lot more interior room, which is good if you are LIVING in the vehicle. I have small 'ChuckBoxes' that include stove / sink / dishes / spices / paperware. They can be set up on a picnic table or under dining canopy, which is a better place to cook anyway (when it is not snowing). My Water heater or microwave is better cooking device in winter.

in USA, This is a good place to look if you are interested in a Diesel Westy Synchro. (4x4)
Westy Ventures / My rigs

for 'other / 2wd' here;
Pop Top Heaven - Welcome - Eurovan Camper, VW Eurovan Camper, Used Camper Van, VW Vanagon Camper
TheSamba.com :: VW Classifieds - Vehicles - Type 2/Bus - Vanagon/Eurovan
UK;
http://www.vwcampercrazy.com/

and for info / 'how to keep your westy alive', here;
WetWesties - A Pacific Northwest Camping Society

See / meet you in 2014 (at a CHEAP inbound airport, let me know where you want to 'end up', I can start from anywhere),

I do want to take advantage of coming EUR vs. USD currency rates, so If I need to come earlier I will bring my MC for a primary voyage.

Happy travels;
Maybe you would like to come to USA in 2014 and trade for 52 mpg TD wagon w/ 94L tank? (US gal, not imp.)

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 12-26-2011 at 10:40 AM..

Old 12-26-2011, 10:42 AM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
We went with the hard side camper after we had kids. There is no replacement for being able to seal yourself off from outside noise like you can with an insulated hard side. When I hunt I tent camp. Tent camping in the rain is not fun.

Old 12-27-2011, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
We went with the hard side camper after we had kids. There is no replacement for being able to seal yourself off from outside noise like you can with an insulated hard side. When I hunt I tent camp. Tent camping in the rain is not fun.
I got a nice Brit tent with a porch that's just lovely for inclement weather. You've got a space to sit and stay dry outside of the sleeping area.

I chose the Vango Omega 3 that I linked to upthread.
It's ideal for rainy European summers.
A van will be more convenient but this type of tent is great!

Old 12-27-2011, 01:23 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,351,670 times
Quote:
I live in Europe where it rains most of the year; and almost always when I'm camping.
I just bought a Vango Omega (Brit tent) that's quite nice, but still...
I found a VW turbo diesel Transporter van for a reasonable price. It gets 37 MPG, better than my tiny Kia Rio.
It suits my needs - I travel around 40 weekends a year and even without the pop top, it's pretty perfect!
Next, I need to look for a stand-alone porch.

Attachment 88980
I like the van thats pretty cool

Old 12-27-2011, 02:08 PM

I get it mid-February when I return from Thailand and it will be ready to go for my big Scandanavian trip in May. Cheaper to drive and sleep in, even on a ferry.

I may be able to drive through the Baltic States on my way home.
I'll carry my tent, too. Sometimes I want to sleep outdoors (if that makes any sense).

Old 12-28-2011, 06:13 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,351,670 times
Quote:
I get it mid-February when I return from Thailand and it will be ready to go for my big Scandanavian trip in May. Cheaper to drive and sleep in, even on a ferry.

I may be able to drive through the Baltic States on my way home.
I'll carry my tent, too. Sometimes I want to sleep outdoors (if that makes any sense).
It sounds like a lot of fun

Old 02-14-2012, 05:09 AM

Picked up my van yesterday and I love it. About 1/2 tank for 450 kilometers; it has snaps for window coverings. But I'll probably use a tension pole and shower curtain for the front of the sleeping area. (No expense, I have on hand)

I'll dump the 2 seats for my bicycle and extra space.

I'll be sewing a tarp to fit over the back of the van (door opens up) to expand the living area. Shouldn't be more than $20 or so. The guy left me one pole to hold up the back door, I can probably get another tension pole for cheap.

Now I can't wait until camping season.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:32 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,493,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It's a good idea to go to an RV show, one where they'll let you wander around versus being led around by a sales agent. That way you can take your time without pressure or someone eager to make a sale and you can decide for yourself what looks and feels best for you. I prefer being able to look around and take my time, check out things for myself before talking to the sales person.
I attended the RV show in Chicago this past weekend. Because I'm seriously considering making a purchase, sometime this calendar year. It was a wonderful experience, having the opportunity to wander amongst hundreds of RVs of all types, sizes and shapes. Manufacturer reps were all over the place to answer questions. And if I was of a mind to purchase something new, it's at just such a show I'd do it. The discounts were substantial.

Old 02-20-2012, 06:24 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
I attended the RV show in Chicago this past weekend. ... The discounts were substantial.
certainly, and for good reason...

You can pick up immaculate (even NEW) Diesel pushers for the same price as Spinter B's and C's.

Good time to buy, as OPEC gets ready to tighten the screws in time for summer.

Don't wait till spring, stuff can get way too high with rising temps and sprouting flowers.

I would expect many RV'rs will be hanging it up this yr, as they realize the screaming bargains on houses and low financing rates, + the probability of fuel remaining high. (tho politics will TRY to keep fuel prices down through Nov... very decreasing power we (USA) have for that).

Good luck. let us know what you get!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing