Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 11:40 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,324,645 times

Advertisements

'RV ghettos' do exist...I toured one the other day...

And that disturbs me...it troubles me that all the urban RV parks, where I stay, seem to be right next to housing projects and or tend to attract Beavis and Butt head types, and or a mixture of the two.

I have an RV...but I want to move...I'd rather take RV with me, since that's why I got it to begin with...but the choice of lots just leaves you gasping...

RV parks are becoming like society at large...either they seem to cator to the super affluent, retirerees with big bucks, and newer $50 to $300,000 dollar units....or they seem to cator to circus carnival types...men with 5 o'clock shadows with wife beater shirts on, who lurk around at night attracting street walkers...

It seems it's getting harder and harder to just find a normal, working class, affordable park to live at...

Many parks within the urban realm, either seem to cator to rich vacationers, or to local 'deliverance' types...

One place I checked out only wants around $220 a month to stay there...

hmm...I wonder why?
I can only imagine how it is at night...it's low like that for a reason obviously...

And also I wish these parks had better security...like patrols...

Night time is the true test...all can seem fine by day...but night time will reveal the true nature of a place.

But the price is tempting...but not worth personal safety or since of well being.

Also, I wonder if your RV is not currently licenced...do you have to get it licenced just to drive it a short distance across town? Or like do they make a temporary one day permit?

Anyhow...anyone else have a good or bad experience while staying in a urban rv park, or any other rv park that made you nervious or fear for your safety?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2011, 09:53 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,747,524 times
Usually, you get what you pay for......and cheap prices tend to attract a segment of society which is less affluent.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:01 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,216,093 times
Urban State parks are rough as well. We think it is just the urban / suburban lifestyle in general.

Old 07-30-2011, 01:32 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
The closest to urban I think I've been in was the KOA near Colorado Springs, it costs around $400 or $450 a month and seemed pretty good. Very convenient to town.

Probably $200 or so a month just gets you a trailer park that has extra spaces to rent out.

Old 07-30-2011, 11:51 PM

I really do need to take a photo of this place I'm talking about...it's tempting cause it's so cheap...
But again...like someone above said...you get what you pay for...

All the urban RV parks in the city I reside in, just seem to have a 'deliverance' type look to them...
If not that, than they specifically cator to the very well off...and price everyone else out...

It's like there's no in between...middle class or just working class urban RV parks...

Now they, they, have the right idea...

Buy some desert land, install utility pole, dig well, and walla...paradise..

I took this photo either in Arizona or California...forget which state...

Old 08-01-2011, 09:03 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,265,040 times
Why would anyone want to live in an urban RV park? Parking an RV in the city totally defeats the purpose of having an RV as far as I'm concerned.

Old 08-03-2011, 05:45 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,591,064 times
When I visited Salt Lake City a little over a week ago, I stayed at the KOA which is located in the city. It was a large and very busy park, but was also clean and well kept. I stayed there because it was a decent place to stay that was close to what I wanted to see while I was there. I don't know what it would cost to stay there on a monthly basis, but it was somewhere around $40 a night when I was there. It felt safe to me, and I didn't feel any more nervous than I do at home about allowing my daughter to walk around the park.

I've also stayed at the KOA in West Sacramento and felt much the same way, though I was only there for one night, and I didn't have my kids with me. As I recall, it was slightly less expensive than the SLC KOA.

Usually, though, I would tend to agree with duster1979 about the desire to stay in such a place. The only reason I have used urban RV parks was because I had events to attend nearby. Other folks, however, likely stay for other reasons.

While I was in the SLC KOA, though, I did notice that many of the folks there were there because they were working in the area, obviously far from home. I noticed numerous welding trucks leaving early in the morning while I was there, and most were licensed in other states such as Oklahoma, Texas, and Arkansas. I noticed quite a few other "residents" of the park were also from out of state, though they were obviously staying in SLC for a rather long duration (more than just a couple of weeks).

Old 08-04-2011, 08:43 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,265,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
While I was in the SLC KOA, though, I did notice that many of the folks there were there because they were working in the area, obviously far from home.
That's a good point. There was a guy in my hometown in downstate Illinois who spent the week in Chicago in his slide-in pickup camper while he built houses and came home on the weekends. Obviously he had to park it somewhere!

Old 08-11-2011, 08:33 PM

73 posts, read 246,756 times
I lived in my older but well maintained motorhome in a nice rv park outside Phoenix in '05-'06. It was a great experience, very diverse in the best way. Rich folk all the way down to lower middle class. The rent want affordable, about $275 if you paid for 4 months at a time. But all good things..... they realized they could charge a whole lot more to those mega mobile McMansions. The rent increased. $700+ per month, no discount. I could rent a pretty nice 2/2 apt for $925, so ended up selling the rv. I still miss it.
At that time, I was seeing more and more regular folk living full time. Families that were home schooling, working people, retirees that were doing it because they couldn't afford to live in their home anymore. I would expect there is an increase in this way of living now with the economy. There is definately a need for parks that cater to the middle. So many of the nicer, safer parks have an age limit on the rvs, most cut off at 10 years old. Really?!?
I will get another rv soon, but I have an affinity for the vintage coaches. It's gonna' be a problem. I don't want to go to the scuzzy parks. I won't be accepted at the nice parks. I can't afford the nice parks.
I've also noticed, at least here in SoCal, that a lot of towns have signs advising the repercussions of parking an rv overnight on city streets. And those are the same towns that won't allow places like WalMart to let their customers park in their lots overnight. I lived in a town that has a law that says you can only live in an rv if it's in an rv park.
So basically they would rather people be homeless than find a way to stay in an rv. Wow.

Old 08-11-2011, 10:30 PM

Ye, it's sad what's happening to the RV movement...just like everything else...all things are designed to cator to the 'rich'...and the working poor be dmnd...

RV's use to be the poor mans savior...it allowed low income, but hard working folks, a nice alternative to landlords and slum buildings...

Or heck, even part time summer vacation Wally Worlders could go out with family and have a great time...

But like LucyI'mHome said...a lot of the parks have gotten greedy...and probably teamed up with city to pass such restrictive ordinances on where you can park or live in an RV...

It's like every time the populace becomes resorceful, and finds legal ways around the system...those who run the system find ways to strip the resorceful poor of whatever little means they have to get by...by making life as difficult as they can by passing all sorts of tedious ordinances, so some people living in Mansions can sleep better at night...so that when they drive down the street they don't have to pass a Winnobego class C motorhome...

What's going in England, will occur over here eventually, if they, the legistlatures, keep going on with this mess...passing rule after rule that just makes day to day life almost unbearable for the common man/woman...
And I'm talking the responsible class of citizens...those who just want to work, and be left alone...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing