U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Should states require a motorhome endorsement?
Yes. 0 0%
No. 6 50.00%
Yes but only over a certain size. 6 50.00%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 03:52 PM

794 posts, read 1,472,989 times

Advertisements

Are there any states that require a motorhome endorsement on your drivers license for the large (class A i think they are called) motor homes that are as large as tour buses?

It seems about half of the people drivers I see in those constantly have issues while driving or backing them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2011, 04:02 PM

17,729 posts, read 24,057,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fearnofish View Post
...motorhome endorsement for Class A motor homes
Not for the gassers that I'm aware of...

...that are as large as tour buses?
but iirc diesel pushers and/or over a certain weight do need such.

It seems about half of the people drivers I see in those constantly have issues while driving or backing them.
Want to hear some stories about soccer moms in mini-vans?

Old 10-26-2011, 04:24 PM

794 posts, read 1,472,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
I agree except a minivan is not 45 feet long and weighing in over 40,000 lbs gross.

I suppose it is like anything else and a few bad drivers make all the drives look bad.

Old 10-26-2011, 04:28 PM

17,729 posts, read 24,057,602 times
Quote:
I suppose it is like anything else and a few bad drivers make all the drives look bad.
Indeed.

Raw Data:
RV Driver's License Requirements

Old 10-26-2011, 04:32 PM

2,890 posts, read 2,837,556 times
Quote:
Are there any states that require a motorhome endorsement on your drivers license for the large (class A i think they are called) motor homes that are as large as tour buses?

California requires a non-commercial Class B endorsement for motor homes over 40' but not longer than 45'. Trailers over 10,000 lb GVWR and fifth wheels over 15,000 lb GVWR require non-commercial Class A.

Old 10-26-2011, 04:34 PM

11,095 posts, read 7,326,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
hey, I drive a mini van. That phrase really needs to be changed to SUV.

Old 10-26-2011, 04:40 PM

11,095 posts, read 7,326,026 times
I know what you mean though. When we were looking, the sales people would let anyone test drive drive those things.

Old 10-26-2011, 07:56 PM

1,277 posts, read 2,654,780 times
There are a few states but it's pretty much a waste of time. Kind of like by MC endorsement I had on my drivers license. I had it on my license for 30 years and never had to take any type of test over those 30 years to keep it.

Old 10-27-2011, 01:04 AM

11,323 posts, read 19,055,630 times
Looks to be only HI and DC.

Not necessarily an 'endorsement' for MH. Trailers are far more dangerous / accident prone. (RV and others). States should beef that program up...

I will concur with CDL rule of trailer weight over 10,000# or any combination over 26k should require a CDL (or more preferred a special license for RV'rs), but for RV's I would add any trailer that could exceed GW of towing vehicle (of course those SHOULD have brakes on each axle (tho many do not...)).

40+ yrs of accident free CDL for me, but CDL is NOT ez to get, nor keep current. I spend $$$$, on MANDATORY drug tests, as I MUST be in a consortium for EACH and EVERY company I drive for (including my own LLC's). I also am subject to MUCH higher scrutiny on Blood Alch (Zero tolerance), and do not qualify for ticket 'deferrals' offered in many states.

CDL requirement would not likely work for most RV / state DMV / DOT / ICC folks.

DO BE ADVISED... CDL is for GCVWR, thus NOT the scale weight, BUT INSTEAD the titled / manufacturer's peak capacity rating. (of a single or Combination unit) BTW, I am seeing a lot more RV 'triples' (Trailer pulling trailer)... Not legal in my state, but it is next door (ID, OR). THAT is an accident waiting to happen... I got passed this week by a 3x RV combination that was going way in excess of 90 MPH... Nuts ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtandc View Post
There are a few states but it's pretty much a waste of time. Kind of like by MC endorsement I had on my drivers license. I had it on my license for 30 years and never had to take any type of test over those 30 years to keep it.
If you relocate to WA State (and I'm sure several others) you will be required to take a MC skills test on a size appropriate MC (I think 500cc + is a 'break-point'.). I know MANY transplants who not only failed their MC, but also their auto. (My CA boss had to have his wife drive him to work for several months till he could figure out how to pass ! bosses , nuff said)). WA charges an arm and leg each time to renew MC, it is several times more expensive than DL, and even more than my Class A CDL (fees pay for the MC skills test / edu program).

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 10-27-2011 at 01:14 AM..

Old 11-02-2011, 11:33 AM

879 posts, read 1,127,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtandc View Post
42 years here. same scenario
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing