Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 11:44 AM

2,918 posts, read 5,607,012 times

Advertisements

i'm semi-homeless atm, currently crashing in my friends RV he got a couple weeks ago (real good deal, $400 - has rebuilt motor and everytihng).

we've mostly just been crashing in wal-mart parking lots and a couple other parking lots that don't mind us for a few days, but this wont work much longer i dont think.

was wondering if there are other places to park it overnight that are free? not to familiar w rv'ing, sorry if this has been asked a million tiems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2011, 11:59 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,948,301 times
I have used the parking areas at state-designated fishing and boat docking locations. Fishermen come and go at all hours, and many of them use small RVs to go fishing, and you can park there without being disturbed. The state fish and game commission can supply you with a map or a booklet showing the location of all these facilities.

If you're just living in your car, most hospitals in smaller and medium sized cities still have free parking lots for their patients and visitors. You could park in their lots overnight, as there are people coming and going at all hours. If a security guard challenges you, just say you have a relative who is in intensive care, and you came out to your car to get some sleep. This would probably not work for an RV.

Consider just asking at a business location if you can have permission to park there overnight. Often times, they would consider it to their advantage to have somebody there all night, for added security. In a sense, you would be a sort of a night-wtchman. Such as an auto repair shop, which might have customers' cars there overnight awaiting repairs.

Last edited by jtur88; 12-11-2011 at 12:08 PM..

Old 12-11-2011, 03:04 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,022,681 times
I know of no long term solution, short of getting a job at a place that may allow you to stay. (campground host / worker bee, security guard, farm worker...)

some cities have 'revolving' parkinglots for homeless in RV's. (must move daily)

Maybe there is a homeless village like in Portland, OR Dignity Village - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (not sure of their RV policy)

I use this Free Campgrounds for RVs

I have a list of places / parking lots I use while traveling, but they are not gonna fly for 'homeless', as I always leave before daylight.

Old 12-30-2011, 11:43 PM

thx for the advice guys. haven't had to use any of it yet, have just been switching wal-marts every few nights since i made the thread. the only night we had problems so far was christmas. surprised we haven't had problems, all the wal-marts now have the no camping signs up in the parking lot. we just change parking spots every once in a while and go to the next town over after 3-4 nights.

Old 12-31-2011, 10:50 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,230,068 times
Walmarts have traditionally welcomed RVers to spend the night in their parking lots as they pass through town. RVers traditionally repay the Walmart stores by picking up supplies, so it works well for both. I don't believe Walmart ever intended that their parking lots become homes for the homeless nor long-term campgrounds for anyone. I hope you'll not push it too far, or you'll contribute to the demise of a good thing for many RVers.

If I were you I think I'd ask around at some of the businesses in out-of-the way locations. If you don't need to be there much during business hours, your presence could be beneficial to them -- sort of like a free security guard. Tell them that in exchange for a place to park for the night, you'll keep an eye on their property and report any suspicious activity to the police. You might find someone willing, and it only takes one.

Good luck.

Old 12-31-2011, 11:16 PM

447 posts, read 495,903 times
Very sensible and prudent suggestion. As I travel all across America, be it winter in South and summer in North, often as a convenience use Walmart as one night supply and stop place. We are conscious not to abuse the hospitality of Walmart.
Spending some time and effort is worthy for finding a long term free sleep space anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
Walmarts have traditionally welcomed RVers to spend the night in their parking lots as they pass through town. RVers traditionally repay the Walmart stores by picking up supplies, so it works well for both. I don't believe Walmart ever intended that their parking lots become homes for the homeless nor long-term campgrounds for anyone. I hope you'll not push it too far, or you'll contribute to the demise of a good thing for many RVers.

If I were you I think I'd ask around at some of the businesses in out-of-the way locations. If you don't need to be there much during business hours, your presence could be beneficial to them -- sort of like a free security guard. Tell them that in exchange for a place to park for the night, you'll keep an eye on their property and report any suspicious activity to the police. You might find someone willing, and it only takes one.

Good luck.

Old 01-03-2012, 09:50 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,945,062 times
OP: get a job.
Focus on the ones where the boss might tolerate (or even encourage) an RV on their property.
Night watchman? Construction labor? You can think of a few others.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:40 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,684,110 times
The rescue mission where I live sometimes has older RV's parked outside it and lately there is a tent area with smaller tents put up - so I would guess that can be an option in some cities or towns.

I think it's a good suggestion to find someone who might actually want someone parked -- home construction sites and security. Also I knew a guy who rented a small space next to the barn at a friend's because he wanted to save money to buy a house and chose to live in his pop-up, even through a couple northern winters, he had it parked next to the barn and had it covered with a tarp to make an air buffer, he used their shower as part of the rent and ran electricity which his rent covered.

It worked because the couple needed the little extra cash, he was working and could pay what they all thought was fair.

Just about any job would work because you can usually find some trailer park that has pretty cheap monthly rates and then you don't have to keep moving around.

Old 01-05-2012, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
OP: get a job.
Focus on the ones where the boss might tolerate (or even encourage) an RV on their property.
Night watchman? Construction labor? You can think of a few others.
i have a job. i am a professional petitioner. i collect signatures for ballot measures in front of stores - mostly the wal-marts i've been parking at lately.

Old 01-05-2012, 07:22 PM

1,282 posts, read 1,903,680 times
It depends on how stealthy you are. If you are not "obvious", you have more spots you can choose from. Business parking lots in safe areas are good as long as you are gone by 7AM or so. You can also park behind businesses in strip malls- nobody ever goes back there at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing