U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2012, 10:42 AM

279 posts, read 516,771 times

Advertisements

I have the "specs" on the model and am going to see it tonight. Just want to make sure all my bases are covered and I'm not missing anything since I've never done this before. Is there anything I should be aware of or ask the owner about an RV before I pay her?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 12:07 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,638 posts, read 40,010,157 times
This appears to be a "private' rental. I would be VERY cautious, and leave minimal 'on-the-table'

1st ? is refund policy...

then
how long has she been doing this... repair / insurance / damage terms. Replacement vehicle? (Change of plans)

+ the functionality of the unit

Old 01-11-2012, 01:02 PM

279 posts, read 516,771 times
It's a brand new RV- 2012 model. I don't know that she's been doing it too long since it's new but she's referenced past clients- not that that's a confirmation. There is a full contract I had reviewed by a friend that is an attorney. There's a 1M$ insurance policy on it. She said there is an option $10 rider that can be added but I'm not sure what the point of that would be.

Old 01-18-2012, 06:09 AM

3,696 posts, read 3,292,008 times
You don't say what kind of RV you will be renting (pull-behind like a fiver or motorhome), but I'm guessing it must be a motorhome. A couple words of warning.... know how to drive it. These things don't drive like cars, and they don't STOP like cars either. Learn to look where you are going, because if you find yourself in a tight spot you'll find yourself in a heap of trouble. Make sure you know how to back them up properly. And... make sure you know how to properly hook up all your hook-ups, and how to run all the equipment properly. (Things like the water heater, etc.) Did you know to make sure the water heater is NOT running if it isn't properly filled? Running the water heater even one time when it is empty can burn one out in a matter of a few minutes.

I'm truly amazed sometimes at what we see when renters rent an RV without being properly trained on driving and living in an RV....

Here is a previous CD thread that I remember which might help: http://www.city-data.com/forum/trave...v-rentals.html

Old 01-18-2012, 06:27 AM

10,137 posts, read 12,398,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
You don't say what kind of RV you will be renting (pull-behind like a fiver or motorhome), but I'm guessing it must be a motorhome. A couple words of warning.... know how to drive it. These things don't drive like cars, and they don't STOP like cars either. Learn to look where you are going, because if you find yourself in a tight spot you'll find yourself in a heap of trouble. Make sure you know how to back them up properly. And... make sure you know how to properly hook up all your hook-ups, and how to run all the equipment properly. (Things like the water heater, etc.) Did you know to make sure the water heater is NOT running if it isn't properly filled? Running the water heater even one time when it is empty can burn one out in a matter of a few minutes.

I'm truly amazed sometimes at what we see when renters rent an RV without being properly trained on driving and living in an RV....

Here is a previous CD thread that I remember which might help: http://www.city-data.com/forum/trave...v-rentals.html
Even worse how many rent thinking they have insurance when they don't?

You miss a curb and roll the unit, who pays?

My first question would be to my insurance agent just because if the owner has insurance I doubt the insurance extends to you especially if negligence is involved. How can you have an accident without some negligence?

Who pays for the down time when the unit is being repaired or replaced? At $150/day if the unit is down for six weeks it can add up quick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing